How much is your GPA just a number?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helioze

How much is your GPA just a number?

Postby Helioze » Fri May 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Basically what I want to know is to what extent schools will see your grades.

Do they get to see your transcripts directly?

Do they just see the LSAC GPA and that's it?

I ask because I have a higher GPA from Community College, and a still high but not optimal GPA from a more preftigious school.

I would consider this a negative if I was evaluating applicants, and I wonder to what extent it will hurt me.

Overall LSAC GPA is >3.75

Mack.Hambleton

Re: How much is your GPA just a number?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 15, 2015 10:35 pm

99% of schools will just care about LSDAS GPA. Maybe Yale will actually give a shit who knows, but I wouldn't worry about it

haus

Postby haus » Fri May 15, 2015 10:49 pm

I agree that the vast number of schools focus on applicants LSAC GPA.

Several years ago there were threads that discussed a small handful of schools that focused instead on "Degree GPA", but they seemed to be the rare exceptions and not the rule.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149553&p=4187855&hilit=Vermont#p4187855

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Sat May 16, 2015 4:02 am

Regardless of whether or not they care, they do have access to the actual transcripts?

I haven't gone through the app process so I don't know who sees what.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat May 16, 2015 4:59 am

Yes they will be able to see the transcripts you send to LSAC in addition to the LSAC summary. When you apply to the school all of that is submitted through CAS.

LSAC wrote: Credential Assembly ServiceSM

Nearly all ABA-approved law schools and many non-ABA approved schools require the use of LSAC’s Credential Assembly Service (CASSM) for JD applicants. LSAC collects the US and Canadian academic records of law school applicants and summarizes the undergraduate work according to a standard 4.0 system to simplify the admission process. JD applicants who have studied for more than one academic year outside the US or Canada can use the Credential Assembly Service for transcript evaluation and authentication if required by the law schools to which they are applying.

The Credential Assembly Service (CAS) creates your law school report by combining

an academic summary report;
LSAT score(s) and writing sample(s);
copies of all undergraduate, graduate, and law/professional school transcripts; and
copies of letters of recommendation and evaluations, if applicable.

Lawgenius

Postby Lawgenius » Sun May 17, 2015 4:27 am

I think the real issue here is if getting Ws can really affect your admission, right? While some people will probably think it’s harmless, you might as well as dispel any thoughts otherwise with a short, one paragraph explanation. Make it simple and concise to answer lingering questions on your transcript.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 17, 2015 10:22 am

Lawgenius wrote:I think the real issue here is if getting Ws can really affect your admission, right? While some people will probably think it’s harmless, you might as well as dispel any thoughts otherwise with a short, one paragraph explanation. Make it simple and concise to answer lingering questions on your transcript.

not necessary unless you withdrew from every class one semester for medical reasons or something

Lawgenius

Postby Lawgenius » Mon May 18, 2015 4:44 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Lawgenius wrote:I think the real issue here is if getting Ws can really affect your admission, right? While some people will probably think it’s harmless, you might as well as dispel any thoughts otherwise with a short, one paragraph explanation. Make it simple and concise to answer lingering questions on your transcript.

not necessary unless you withdrew from every class one semester for medical reasons or something

Yes but if you think you did a great job with your GPA, why worry? Even if it is just a number you might as well as go beyond and impress universities right? What's the real issue?

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Mon May 18, 2015 8:35 am

Lawgenius wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:

Yes but if you think you did a great job with your GPA, why worry? Even if it is just a number you might as well as go beyond and impress universities right? What's the real issue?

i have two Ws on my transcript, didn't write an addendum, and got into all of YHS.

the issue is that it takes time and space, draws their attention to something negative, and accomplishes nothing.

i agree with mack; addenda only in the case of extreme circumstances.

Lawgenius

Postby Lawgenius » Wed May 20, 2015 5:28 am

ballcaps wrote: i have two Ws on my transcript, didn't write an addendum, and got into all of YHS.

the issue is that it takes time and space, draws their attention to something negative, and accomplishes nothing.

Good to hear it worked for you but GPA is still part of the admission process, whether it's minor or major.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 am

Lawgenius wrote:
ballcaps wrote: i have two Ws on my transcript, didn't write an addendum, and got into all of YHS.

Good to hear it worked for you but GPA is still part of the admission process, whether it's minor or major.

what are you even talking about? of course GPA is part of the admissions process. that's not the issue; the issue is whether GPA addenda are helpful. the answer is "not really."

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed May 20, 2015 11:36 am

How much is your penis circumference just a number? (asking for a friend)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”