Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dontrogerthat
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby dontrogerthat » Fri May 15, 2015 9:16 pm

This is the last semester of grades the law schools I'm applying to will see. I had horrible sicknesses which lead to a really bad gpa (my lowest ever) which dropped my overall gpa down to around a 3.61.

Do I have any shot still at Harvard or Stanford?
I am a Puerto Rican male so I'm not sure how much that matters...would I need a 175+ LSAT to have a chance?
Last edited by dontrogerthat on Fri May 15, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby starry eyed » Fri May 15, 2015 9:21 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:This is the last semester of grades the law schools I'm applying to will see. I had horrible sicknesses which lead to a really bad gpa (my lowest ever) which dropped my overall gpa down to around a 3.61.

Do I have any shot still at Harvard or Stanford? I know even Chicago and Berkeley are probably shot now too...

I am a Puerto Rican male so I'm not sure how much that matters...would I need a 175+ LSAT to have a chance?


probably not, but check out mylsn.info for info about your chances

dontrogerthat
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby dontrogerthat » Fri May 15, 2015 10:33 pm

starry eyed wrote:
dontrogerthat wrote:This is the last semester of grades the law schools I'm applying to will see. I had horrible sicknesses which lead to a really bad gpa (my lowest ever) which dropped my overall gpa down to around a 3.61.

Do I have any shot still at Harvard or Stanford? I know even Chicago and Berkeley are probably shot now too...

I am a Puerto Rican male so I'm not sure how much that matters...would I need a 175+ LSAT to have a chance?


probably not, but check out mylsn.info for info about your chances


there is so little info for PR but thanks!

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby RZ5646 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:38 pm

If Puerto Rican counts as URM you shouldn't have a problem

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby starry eyed » Fri May 15, 2015 10:40 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:
starry eyed wrote:
dontrogerthat wrote:This is the last semester of grades the law schools I'm applying to will see. I had horrible sicknesses which lead to a really bad gpa (my lowest ever) which dropped my overall gpa down to around a 3.61.

Do I have any shot still at Harvard or Stanford? I know even Chicago and Berkeley are probably shot now too...

I am a Puerto Rican male so I'm not sure how much that matters...would I need a 175+ LSAT to have a chance?


probably not, but check out mylsn.info for info about your chances


there is so little info for PR but thanks!


hmm yea there isn't much data. still a non-URM is somewhat competitive for H with a 170+ lsat and 3.6

so i think your PR status should make you golden- if it counts as URM

User avatar
WichitaShocker
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat May 16, 2015 12:44 am

Everything I have seen says that Puerto Rican is URM, so make sure to check URM on MyLsn. That being said, Yale is tough for anyone, but kill the LSAT and I think both are still on the table. H more than Y though.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby Clearly » Sat May 16, 2015 12:46 am

He's right though. URM status isn't binary, its not like if a school can't find enough AA, they start taking PR. From what I've heard, the PR boost isn't as noticeable as say AA, but it is still a definitive boost. Just knock the hell out of the LSAT.

Nathanael
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby Nathanael » Sat May 16, 2015 1:32 am

starry eyed wrote:
dontrogerthat wrote:
starry eyed wrote:
dontrogerthat wrote:This is the last semester of grades the law schools I'm applying to will see. I had horrible sicknesses which lead to a really bad gpa (my lowest ever) which dropped my overall gpa down to around a 3.61.

Do I have any shot still at Harvard or Stanford? I know even Chicago and Berkeley are probably shot now too...

I am a Puerto Rican male so I'm not sure how much that matters...would I need a 175+ LSAT to have a chance?


probably not, but check out mylsn.info for info about your chances


there is so little info for PR but thanks!


hmm yea there isn't much data. still a non-URM is somewhat competitive for H with a 170+ lsat and 3.6

so i think your PR status should make you golden- if it counts as URM


That's a stretch. Maybe you could say that for 3.6/175+

GenericLawApplicant
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby GenericLawApplicant » Sat May 16, 2015 3:27 am

Can you do a medical withdrawal OP?

dontrogerthat
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby dontrogerthat » Sat May 16, 2015 4:09 am

GenericLawApplicant wrote:Can you do a medical withdrawal OP?


I'm in the process of that right now...apparently my school is really random on the things they approve for withdrawal....

User avatar
alexjinye
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby alexjinye » Sat May 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Rumor says the general cutoff line for non-URM is 3.75 for HYS, regardless of your LSAT.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 16, 2015 9:44 pm

alexjinye wrote:Rumor says the general cutoff line for non-URM is 3.75 for HYS, regardless of your LSAT.


Not for harvard

LawurmStudent
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby LawurmStudent » Sat May 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Clearly wrote:He's right though. URM status isn't binary, its not like if a school can't find enough AA, they start taking PR. From what I've heard, the PR boost isn't as noticeable as say AA, but it is still a definitive boost. Just knock the hell out of the LSAT.


Is this true?

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 17, 2015 12:19 am

definitely AA is a bigger boost

User avatar
Lawgenius
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 2:04 am

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby Lawgenius » Sun May 17, 2015 9:51 am

starry eyed wrote:
dontrogerthat wrote:This is the last semester of grades the law schools I'm applying to will see. I had horrible sicknesses which lead to a really bad gpa (my lowest ever) which dropped my overall gpa down to around a 3.61.

Do I have any shot still at Harvard or Stanford? I know even Chicago and Berkeley are probably shot now too...

I am a Puerto Rican male so I'm not sure how much that matters...would I need a 175+ LSAT to have a chance?


probably not, but check out mylsn.info for info about your chances



Just write them a letter or call them whichever you deem is necessary.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
alexjinye wrote:Rumor says the general cutoff line for non-URM is 3.75 for HYS, regardless of your LSAT.


Not for harvard

Grunt2Grad
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:08 am

Re: Did I kill my chances at H/S now?

Postby Grunt2Grad » Mon May 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Get the 170+ first and then worry about what the final GPA did or didn't do to your chances. I drove myself nuts thinking about what if I score this or what if I score that.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: azaleafire, BrittanyJeream, Commoncourtesy, hip to be Square, mrtux45, SolRs, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests