Has anyone else gotten their admission suspended after an offer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArrestedAnon

Has anyone else gotten their admission suspended after an offer

Postby ArrestedAnon » Fri May 15, 2015 11:57 am

Arrested a few months ago for misdemeanor DUI, did my requirements, eligible for expungement, disclosed fully on law school application. However, things got a little crazy a few days ago, and I got arrested for a really low grade misdemeanor. Don't have any arrests before these two.

The alcohol-related charge I just carries a penalty that's essentially a fine of a few hundred dollars (the cop's comment was "this is about as severe as a traffic ticket"), but they held me in jail till I sobered up. Court is in June.

I've openly acknowledged that I have a drinking problem in my disclosure that I sent in, and mentioned that I was actively seeking professional help (therapist) on top of AA and joining my state's LAP programs (I had also been in AA and had remained mostly sober since the DUI except for this incident). Meeting with a C&F attorney next week.

I'm at a T6 with money. After disclosing, I was told that my admission was suspended pending committee review.

Has anyone else gotten their admission offer suspended after the fact? What ended up being the end result? Did you end up getting your offer back?

MrLawMan

Re: Has anyone else gotten their admission suspended after an offer

Postby MrLawMan » Fri May 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Wait - so you reported this offense in addition to, and after, your initial application? Or does the committee not know about this latest offense?

Sorry I don't have insight to offer. I disclosed a minor drinking offense from high school to a few select schools - those who requested the category it fell in - but it made no difference on any admissions to the schools I disclosed it to and got in.

swampman

Postby swampman » Fri May 15, 2015 5:17 pm

I've heard of an offer being deferred to the next year conditional on treatment and a clean record for that year, in a somewhat similar circumstance. Given your history of addiction and the recency of the relapse I would guess this is a likely outcome. But it's a case-by-case thing, they could revoke your offer or let it slide.

ArrestedAnon

Postby ArrestedAnon » Fri May 15, 2015 6:05 pm

MrLawMan wrote:Wait - so you reported this offense in addition to, and after, your initial application? Or does the committee not know about this latest offense?

I reported this offense a few days ago. I already had an offer of admission when I reported this new offense.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”