UALR v UA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KDgirl

UALR v UA

Postby KDgirl » Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 am

Last edited by KDgirl on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: UALR v UA

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 14, 2015 11:18 am

KDgirl wrote:Why is UA-Fayetteville ranked higher than UALR given the bar passage and employment stats seems to be in favor of UALR? Also, would you go to UALR if you were planning to practice in Arkansas and/or in the southern region (Texas, La, MS, TN)

If you had very modest goals (were happy making 40k/yr) and had a full, non-conditional scholarship....maybe. Even then it is iffy. I'd shoot for Vandy/Emory/Texas/Duke if you know you want to practice in these regions. As for your rankings question, ignore them. Employment stats are the ones that matter. I'd worry about prepping for the lsat until you have a score that will get you to one of those schools.

KDgirl

Postby KDgirl » Thu May 14, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply. I already took the LSAT 3 times. I didn't do too well so I wouldn't get into the schools that you listed. I'm pretty much either 3rd tier or nothing. I do have pretty promising employment after graduation. My family has a law firm if I don't find employment else where. I just heard bad things about 3rd tier on this forum and was wondering if that absolutely applied in all cases, particularly UALR.

I could go to UA with hardly no money or UALR with good scholly.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 14, 2015 11:28 am

When was your first take?

KDgirl

Postby KDgirl » Thu May 14, 2015 11:38 am

It was last summer... in 2014.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 14, 2015 11:48 am

I wouldn't go to either unless I wanted to work in Arkansas and Arkansas only

If you have a guaranteed job it really doesn't matter where you go, the JD is just a formality

If you have to rely on the placement ability of the school, that's where it gets trickier. If you have a burning desire to work in Arkansas long term and modest career aspirations (small firm, local government, things like that) then I'm sure either are ok as long as the cost is appropriate. For me, appropriate cost would be no more than about 60K debt total, which would necessitate a full ride or rich benefactor paying my way.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 14, 2015 11:51 am

KDgirl wrote:It was last summer... in 2014.

Well, you'll be able to take again in 2016...only a year away from now. Depending on your situation, waiting may very well be worth it. If you are in a position to get a full scholarship from UALR, not have any debt, and have a guaranteed position coming out, you may be one of the rare cases where a school like UALR is a good decision. However, if you see yourself leaving your family's firm after a few years or you're unsure about how much you'd like to work with your family, I'd say it is worth it to spend the year continuing to gain work experience, study up for the lsat and ensure that next time you take the test, you can walk out of the testing center with a score that will make Vandy/UA/Texas/Emory strong possibilities.

KDgirl

Postby KDgirl » Mon May 18, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”