2015-2016 Cycle Applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GreekOmega12

2015-2016 Cycle Applications

Postby GreekOmega12 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 pm

Hello everyone this is my first post on here and wanted a little guidance, I am a long time lurker. I wanted to know what range of law schools I should apply to and if I have a chance at the T14? (Hopefully)

AA Male
GPA: 3.36
LSAT: 164 (159 first try)

Soft Skills: Exceptional community service and leadership skills, serve as Student Body President at my University with over 10K students, K-JD, VERY strong letters of recommendation. First generation college student if that matters.

Location: From the Chicago moved to school in the south. Would like to live in Chicago or DC area post JD (Open to others though)
Career: Still up in the air but I would like to practice BigLaw.

I'm asking for which schools should I think to apply to as the admissions cycle is swiftly approaching.

hearsay77

Re: 2015-2016 Cycle Applications

Postby hearsay77 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 am

Check out http://mylsn.info/

I'd recommend retaking the LSAT.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue May 12, 2015 6:33 am

You should Blanket the top 14. As an AA Male you'll probably get some nibbles with $-$$. Do you have a strong explanation for your GPA?

You need to retake to get more $ and you definitely should. A couple of more questions right on that dumb test will save you and your family tens of thousands of dollars. Think about how that money can be the difference in buying a house or starting a family, or retiring early. Merely getting into a T14 is a fools errands. Unlocking more money will make it worth your while.

There's no good reason not to start getting ready for the fall LSAT.

GreekOmega12

Postby GreekOmega12 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:51 am

Skool wrote:You should Blanket the top 14. As an AA Male you'll probably get some nibbles with $-$$. Do you have a strong explanation for your GPA?

You need to retake to get more $ and you definitely should. A couple of more questions right on that dumb test will save you and your family tens of thousands of dollars. Think about how that money can be the difference in buying a house or starting a family, or retiring early. Merely getting into a T14 is a fools errands. Unlocking more money will make it worth your while.

I have a moderately strong explanation for my GPA that I was going to write in an addendum. Do you think I should run the risk of taking the LSAT a third time and potentially getting a lower score?

Thank you for the advice.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 am

hearsay77 wrote:Check out http://mylsn.info/

I'd recommend retaking the LSAT.

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:21 am

GreekOmega12 wrote:
Skool wrote:You should Blanket the top 14. As an AA Male you'll probably get some nibbles with $-$$. Do you have a strong explanation for your GPA?

I have a moderately strong explanation for my GPA that I was going to write in an addendum. Do you think I should run the risk of taking the LSAT a third time and potentially getting a lower score?

Thank you for the advice.

It's not a risk, a lower score won't matter as schools (except Yale I've heard) only really care about your highest.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue May 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Yeah, I don't know any evidence of retakes hurting anyone in recent years. Most schools have changed their policy and now even Harvard only considers the highest LSAT.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Keep pushing; considering the fact that you'll probably get some T-14 bites as things stand now, this should be your lowest stress take yet. It will be worth it.

GreekOmega12

Postby GreekOmega12 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Skool wrote:Yeah, I don't know any evidence of retakes hurting anyone in recent years. Most schools have changed their policy and now even Harvard only considers the highest LSAT.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Keep pushing; considering the fact that you'll probably get some T-14 bites as things stand now, this should be your lowest stress take yet. It will be worth it.

Thank you, I will strongly consider taking the October LSAT.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”