Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HarvardHopeful93
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:28 pm

In the process of creating an LSAC account. Are there any advantages to not reporting race?

Also, I am aware that being a minority helps those with lower scores & GPAs get into elite schools. But aren't schools required by law to admit students while ignoring their race?

HarvardHopeful93
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:10 am

I mean, I guess it won't really matter as long as one has a good GPA and LSAT :)

User avatar
Iwanttolawschool
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Mon May 11, 2015 1:05 am

I would guess 99 percent of people that don't report race are White Males. From what I've understand Adcoms purposefully admit URM's and women for class diversity purposes. I don't know if not reporting would have an advantage or not however. I'd guess no. Ask Spivey

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 11, 2015 2:00 am

no advantage they will just assume you're white/Asian

User avatar
strugglebus
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby strugglebus » Wed May 13, 2015 8:10 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:But aren't schools required by law to admit students while ignoring their race?

No. (Except some publics depending on the state.)

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby starry eyed » Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 pm

has anyone ever tried to claim that they are an albino AA

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed May 13, 2015 9:41 pm

starry eyed wrote:has anyone ever tried to claim that they are an albino AA


good post

User avatar
starry eyed
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby starry eyed » Wed May 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
starry eyed wrote:has anyone ever tried to claim that they are an albino AA


good post


tanks

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Creating LSAC Acc't; Report race?

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:15 am

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:In the process of creating an LSAC account. Are there any advantages to not reporting race?

Also, I am aware that being a minority helps those with lower scores & GPAs get into elite schools. But aren't schools required by law to admit students while ignoring their race?



No. According to what I have learned as an OL, Grutter v. Bollinger essentially green-lit law admissions favoring "URMs." However, states are allowed to ban affirmative action through their own constitutional amendments.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests