How would I go about asking for an additional increase?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoCal Japorean

How would I go about asking for an additional increase?

Postby SoCal Japorean » Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 am

Hi, I was wondering if I should ask for an additional increase, and how to go about doing it.

First I got admitted to a Tier 2 school. I got 34/41 a year. I asked for more, citing that living expenses would still be expensive and that if I could get a little more, then I would be able to follow my heart and go into public interest. I got a letter a couple days afterwards that said that they would raise it to 35/41 a year, and that was the largest amount that they give. I'm trying to find a way to ask for more, I have no idea how to go about it now.

I got full rides from 3 Tier 4's and 60% at UCI. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate advice. Thanks

hearsay77

Re: How would I go about asking for an additional increase?

Postby hearsay77 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:46 am

SoCal Japorean wrote:Hi, I was wondering if I should ask for an additional increase, and how to go about doing it.

First I got admitted to a Tier 2 school. I got 34/41 a year. I asked for more, citing that living expenses would still be expensive and that if I could get a little more, then I would be able to follow my heart and go into public interest. I got a letter a couple days afterwards that said that they would raise it to 35/41 a year, and that was the largest amount that they give. I'm trying to find a way to ask for more, I have no idea how to go about it now.

I got full rides from 3 Tier 4's and 60% at UCI. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate advice. Thanks

Is that $35k scholarship/year out of $41k in tuition? Its hard to say without the school names and total COAs, because if two schools are in the same region but ranked far apart, they might still compete with each other, but if these are random T2 and T4s all over the country, I'm not sure the T4's would have any impact on the T2. What are all the COA's? Also, obligatory retake/reapply

SoCal Japorean

Postby SoCal Japorean » Fri May 08, 2015 4:53 am

35k out of 41k tuition. All the other schools are in Southern California and the T2 is in Oregon. I'm sort of a splitter, my gpa is 3.0 LSAT 171. I'm not sure I would get more money if I got a 174+. I didn't plan on moving to Oregon, but my sister is moving there in the summer and I would like to stay close to family. 35k out of 41k is acceptable to me, but more would be better.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:09 am

I don't think your full rides will have much leverage from what you've said, but there's no harm in trying. You can send the T2 those offers and see if they'll adjust your scholarship.

Did you apply late? You should have better offers with that LSAT score.

SoCal Japorean

Postby SoCal Japorean » Fri May 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Yes, I applied late in March, a couple of days after their Priority deadline. I would keep negotiating, but I didn't expect them to put a 35k ceiling on it. It's like if I ask for more, I would be calling them a liar or something. I didn't know what to do next so I figured that I would post here. Thanks for your input so far; any additional input would be appreciated.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 08, 2015 12:52 pm

PM'd

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri May 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Holy crap, please reapply. I have similar numbers and am going to lower t14 with $$

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Gray wrote:Holy crap, please reapply. I have similar numbers and am going to lower t14 with $$

ronnygage

Postby ronnygage » Fri May 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Yes, I applied late in March, a couple of days after their Priority deadline

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:59 am

SoCal Japorean wrote:Yes, I applied late in March, a couple of days after their Priority deadline. I would keep negotiating, but I didn't expect them to put a 35k ceiling on it. It's like if I ask for more, I would be calling them a liar or something. I didn't know what to do next so I figured that I would post here. Thanks for your input so far; any additional input would be appreciated.

What do you mean by a 35k ceiling? Again, even if they have said there is some sort of ceiling, I would still ask for more because there's absolutely no harm in it.

Also, you should really reapply early.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Gray wrote:Holy crap, please reapply. I have similar numbers and am going to lower t14 with $$

Yeah, you need to do better with those numbers OP. It's just irresponsible to rush into law school like this when waiting a year could net you both savings through scholarships and increased job prospects/earning potential.

TLS talked me out of going to Notre Dame w/ 60k after applying late, and now I have more $ than that at 3 T14s. Just wait.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun May 10, 2015 12:15 am

Dude reapply you can get into a few T14's with those numbers what are you doing applying to a T2 what is going on here

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”