High GPA Low Prestige Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Simurgh

New

High GPA Low Prestige

Post by Simurgh » Thu May 07, 2015 4:47 am

Hi Top Law Schools,

I am currently a Masters Student with an Expected Graduation in December 2015. I am looking around for options, and since one of my parents went to a T14 Law School, I want to apply as well. Here are my stats.

Undergrad GPA: 3.8 (Unranked Undergraduate)
Graduate GPA: 4.0 (Top 100 National University)
Verbal GRE: 167
LSAT Practice (No Prep): 170

No LSAT yet, but I expect to take it in either June or October if possible. I have a fair amount of extracurriculars but nothing really special. Which schools should I consider applying to, is it unthinkable to get in a T14 with the lack of prestige? I would prefer to get into a dual degree program. Also what is the best LSAT Prep in the SF Bay Area? Thanks everyone.

- Simurgh
Last edited by Simurgh on Thu May 07, 2015 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: High GPA Low Prestige

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu May 07, 2015 4:51 am

Do some more research and search the forums because this has been answered a 1000 times, but in short no ug prestige doesn't matter, all that matters is your ug gpa, your masters gpa is irrelevant, impossible to tell chances without an LSAT score, use mylsn.info for approximating admissions based off your numbers

Simurgh

New

Post by Simurgh » Thu May 07, 2015 4:54 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Do some more research and search the forums because this has been answered a 1000 times, but in short no ug prestige doesn't matter, all that matters is your ug gpa, your masters gpa is irrelevant, impossible to tell chances without an LSAT score, use mylsn.info for approximating admissions based off your numbers
Thanks Mack. I appreciate it.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu May 07, 2015 5:12 am

1. Prestige doesn't matter, just apply to where your LSAT score gets you.
2. If you got a 170 without any prep, I don't think you need to look into a Prep course. Once you get to a certain point, it's not really helpful.

GL

Indy16

Bronze

Post by Indy16 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:49 am

+1 to them. Get a 175 and go to H or CCN or cop a full ride elsewhere. You’ll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 07, 2015 8:38 am

Indy16 wrote:+1 to them. Get a 175 and go to H or CCN or cop a full ride elsewhere. You’ll be fine.

TheatreofDreams1

New

Post by TheatreofDreams1 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:41 pm

170 LSAT with no prep...

So you're telling me that you beat 97% of all LSAT takers, all of whom are college graduates and many who studied months to take this test?

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Wed May 13, 2015 2:43 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:170 LSAT with no prep...

So you're telling me that you beat 97% of all LSAT takers, all of whom are college graduates and many who studied months to take this test?
protip: lots of people can hit 170 with no prep

if you can't and you're running under the delusion that you're especially smart or something, discard that notion now, friendo

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed May 13, 2015 2:45 pm

No law school is going to have any concern with respect to prestige once they see you went to a "Top 100 National" Graduate school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Your university doesn't matter. Your major is unimportant. They report the GPA. They want the GPA. They will like your GPA.

:D

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Wed May 13, 2015 3:08 pm

lolwut? i love this mentality.

you're right, i'm sure it's literally impossible to score 170 without prep because it sounds difficult.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 3:15 pm

ballcaps wrote:

lolwut? i love this mentality.

you're right, i'm sure it's literally impossible to score 170 without prep because it sounds difficult.
I believe the poster meant it is statistically unlikely. It's possible, but highly unlikely any one person will do it. OP should do great on the LSAT with some prep and low prestige won't be a problem for his law school.

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Wed May 13, 2015 8:02 pm

since when are all LSAT takers college graduates?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheatreofDreams1

New

Post by TheatreofDreams1 » Thu May 14, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm just saying I knew some very intelligent people who fought tooth and nail to hit over 165. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible, I personally just haven't met anyone who got a 170 without ever taking a look at LSAT questions.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Thu May 14, 2015 3:52 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:I'm just saying I knew some very intelligent people who fought tooth and nail to hit over 165. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible, I personally just haven't met anyone who got a 170 without ever taking a look at LSAT questions.
I'm saying that if you go to a top school, many of your peers will be the type who could hit 170 cold.

I didn't hit 170 cold, but it's not impossible. You think too highly of yourself/your peers, or too little of others. Not sure which. Probably both.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Thu May 14, 2015 3:57 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:I'm just saying I knew some very intelligent people who fought tooth and nail to hit over 165. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible, I personally just haven't met anyone who got a 170 without ever taking a look at LSAT questions.
I had a friend who asked to try an LSAT while I was studying. We both took PT 70 at the same time, under proper testing conditions. He had never looked at an LSAT question before, and he got a 173... I got like a 166 and had been studying for months. So then naturally we talked about schemes to have him write it for me for the next hour.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Thu May 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
I had a friend who asked to try an LSAT while I was studying. We both took PT 70 at the same time, under proper testing conditions. He had never looked at an LSAT question before, and he got a 173... I got like a 166 and had been studying for months. So then naturally we talked about schemes to have him write it for me for the next hour.
How did your friend do on the real thing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Thu May 14, 2015 4:09 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
Never wrote it. He's going to Dental school. He just wanted to write one for shits and gigs.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Thu May 14, 2015 4:11 pm

1. Undergrad matters some, but much less than what your GPA is. Undergrad will matter more as you go up the line--so YS in particular will care.
2. Grad GPA matters very little. If you had a 4.0 from a top 10 program, that might count for something, but a top 100 program isn't going to impress anyone (or really prove that your UGPA is legit).
3. 170/3.8 gets you in somewhere in the T14, regardless of undergrad school. 175/3.8 probably gets you into CCN (even with a bad undergrad), with a real shot at Harvard. 175/3.8 with above-average softs gives you a shot at YS.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Thu May 14, 2015 4:29 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
Never wrote it. He's going to Dental school. He just wanted to write one for shits and gigs.
Dental School > Law school IMO but that's pretty impressive getting a cold 173, I've been studying for months and am nowhere near that level.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu May 14, 2015 4:53 pm

it matters for jobs. being able to have harvard on your bio page has some value. for a 173 idk if dental school is better than law school unless s/he wants to be a dentist.

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Thu May 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
Is your friend pollywolly?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”