LSE-Msc Human Rights opportunity Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acr440

New

LSE-Msc Human Rights opportunity

Post by acr440 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:38 pm

I am not sure if this is the correct Forum, and perhaps I can be pointed in the right direction if this is the wrong forum(Posted this in a different as well). But anyway, here is my dilemma...

I am currently a senior at Rutgers-New Brunswick (GPA 3.8, Puerto Rican, first generation) and will be graduating soon. My LSAT scores, based off my practice test results, are terrible, and I wanted to take a year or two off to help correct that rather than get a terrible LSAT score and apply straight to law school. With that in mind, I applied to a bunch of opportunities: graduate programs, fellowships, and regular paralegal/legal assistant jobs. While interviewing for a paralegal position at Davis Polk I received an email from LSE that I was accepted into the Msc Human Rights program. I have had several interviews at major NYC law firms, but have yet to receive an offer. The type of work seems grueling because that is just the nature of those positions and the pay is not great as well. I was really happy to get the LSE offer, but I was not offered any sort of aid nor have I been able to find any scholarship/grant opportunities(or I just am not looking int the right places).

Without any funding opportunities, should I take out the debt to finance the LSE degree?

Thanks for reading and answering!

adil91

Silver

Re: LSE-Msc Human Rights opportunity

Post by adil91 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:00 am

No

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 am

Absolutely not, especially since it sounds like you aren't even sure if you want to be in the human rights field.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu May 07, 2015 4:47 am

I don't think it's necessary or recommended especially without any financial aid; I would keep looking for a position for work experience. GL OP

acr440

New

Post by acr440 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:51 pm

I cannot say I am 100% sure about human rights law, but I am 100% sure about public interest law career. Would the LSE degree help me pursue that career path?

Should I try to defer and in order to secure outside funding? Like the Gates-Millennium scholarship? Fulbright? I could also use that year to raise money through work, but finding a job with the masters degree would pay more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:03 pm

acr440 wrote:I cannot say I am 100% sure about human rights law, but I am 100% sure about public interest law career. Would the LSE degree help me pursue that career path?

Should I try to defer and in order to secure outside funding? Like the Gates-Millennium scholarship? Fulbright? I could also use that year to raise money through work, but finding a job with the masters degree would pay more.
A lot of this can't be answered by anyone but you. I'll echo the response to what can be answered: don't take on debt to get a degree that won't really do anything for you. Law schools seem to appreciate paralegal experience, and you get time to bump your LSAT and see if you want to do law in the first place.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Thu May 07, 2015 8:09 pm

If you can find any way to make the LSE option work, I highly recommend it. It is arguably the third best institution in the country and its name carries considerable value for individuals interested in fields such as human rights, developmental economics, and international law. Not to mention, it may give you a nice boost (though not really much of one) in admissions at some schools.

However, if you can't find a way to get the LSE degree with little to no debt (and I really, really do mean LITTLE TO NONE AT ALL) then I don't think it's worth your time. I doubt many law firms, clients, etc. would really care all that much that you have a degree in human rights law. Makes for good dinner party conversations, and I'm sure it'll look nice in an office one day. But neither of those 'perks' are worth the debt you'd be taking on.

Best option: Spend all summer working on the LSAT and give it a go in September/October if you're ready. If not, do it in December. While you wait, get a job that's not insufferable and apply when you're ready.

acr440

New

Post by acr440 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:47 pm

One reason I am still so hung up on it is that a large portion of the jobs I have been interested in demand an advanced degree(Masters) or at the very least prefer one. The only jobs I have really gotten callbacks for are paralegal/legal assistant jobs in nyc. The base pay is low to mid 40s, the hours can be long/unpredictable, and I would be living at home and commuting to the city. I think pursuing LSE degree offers a better quality of life not only for that year studying, but afterwards when I can perform more substantive work for less hours making more money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”