How Important is Work Ex Rec?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
biggestlawman

How Important is Work Ex Rec?

Postby biggestlawman » Wed May 06, 2015 10:18 pm

I have been working for the last 10 years, and I can get a rec from my present employer, I have worked there for 5 years. I can also get recs from grad and UG professors. Is it important to get a rec from the employer?

dwyf

Re: How Important is Work Ex Rec?

Postby dwyf » Wed May 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Get whichever recs will be most personalized and will be the strongest advocates on your behalf.

I think people will care much more about the substance than the source (though I believe it's generally recommended that you mix and match if you're in your situation - one work, one prof. preferably grad in your case).

k5220

Postby k5220 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:24 pm

you should read school's specific instructions on this- they vary quite a bit. schools like yale really care that you have 2 professors, for instance. other admissions cites will strongly suggest having an employer recommendation. without specification though, i think you should probably just go with what you think will be the strongest (speaking most specifically and enthusiastic about your abilities / participation / personal qualities)
Last edited by k5220 on Thu May 07, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 pm

I submitted only professional LORs and no academic ones. Worked out for me just fine but I wasn't applying to anything above UT so I can't speak to the T-14.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Thu May 07, 2015 12:09 am

dwyf wrote:Get whichever recs will be most personalized and will be the strongest advocates on your behalf.

I think people will care much more about the substance than the source (though I believe it's generally recommended that you mix and match if you're in your situation - one work, one prof. preferably grad in your case).

UG:
One rec is from 12 years ago, and I am very confident that it is a great rec (overseas though!). I can get another great rec.

Grad:
10 years ago, and although I asked her if she could recommend me strongly in my email, she replied saying that she will "recommend me". So, Although I know that a professor would not agree to recommending me if its not per my mentioned expectation, given that she is a tough nut, I cannot know for sure how the rec will read.

Work:
I have a great rec from someone who I worked with for 2-3 months, but, he told me that he has not mentioned the company name or duration of association in the rec (?).

I have another rec, a really good one, coming from another supervisor in my present company, but, he is so vindictive that in the past he has called ex-employees' new employers to spew nonsense about them when he got pissed with them after they left.

Open to all suggestions!

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:45 am

biggestlawman wrote:
dwyf wrote:Get whichever recs will be most personalized and will be the strongest advocates on your behalf.

UG:
One rec is from 12 years ago, and I am very confident that it is a great rec (overseas though!). I can get another great rec.

Grad:
10 years ago, and although I asked her if she could recommend me strongly in my email, she replied saying that she will "recommend me". So, Although I know that a professor would not agree to recommending me if its not per my mentioned expectation, given that she is a tough nut, I cannot know for sure how the rec will read.

Work:
I have a great rec from someone who I worked with for 2-3 months, but, he told me that he has not mentioned the company name or duration of association in the rec (?).

I have another rec, a really good one, coming from another supervisor in my present company, but, he is so vindictive that in the past he has called ex-employees' new employers to spew nonsense about them when he got pissed with them after they left.

Open to all suggestions!

I would get 2 academic ones (the oversees one and the grad school one), and one work one (doesn't matter which one -unless you think the second guy will actually lash out). Some places really like 2 academic and if not you can always decide later after you get the letters. Additionally, you'll be good if one of your recommenders backs out last minute

BearsintheRafters

Postby BearsintheRafters » Thu May 07, 2015 10:25 am

When I was researching this, I read that work recs are only relevant if you have been out of school for a significant length of time (>7 years). Most schools will say on their websites that they prefer academic recs, but I think they understand that at a certain point it becomes unreasonable to expect a rec from so far in the past. If you've been out for 10 years, I'm sure that they would expect you to provide work recs. It sounds like you'd be set with or without the academic recs, just depends on which ones you think would be strongest.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu May 07, 2015 11:28 am

I think you're overthinking it a bit. LORs really don't matter that much. 90% of it is LSAT/GPA.

As long as you have a few standard LORs, it's not going to make a difference one way or another.

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Thu May 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Given how long you've been out, it would probably look a bit strange if you didn't have an employer rec, but it probably doesn't matter much either way. If it's not too much trouble to get one, I doubt it would hurt to submit one

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Sun May 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Would it be okay to get a rec from a person who I worked with but was not my boss? He was in a more senior capacity than me, and this was 8-9 years ago.

k5220

Postby k5220 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:13 am

biggestlawman wrote:Would it be okay to get a rec from a person who I worked with but was not my boss? He was in a more senior capacity than me, and this was 8-9 years ago.

If he was supervising you in a way that would put him in a position to know your work, he would probably work as a recommender. Just a coworker probably wouldn't be able to write a good letter though.

biggestlawman

Postby biggestlawman » Mon May 11, 2015 8:16 pm

He did supervise me, but it was 8-9 years ago. Seems you guy are not too worried about the rec being recent or old.

Chem, I will get 2 school recs and some rec(s) from work. Other than the vindictive guy I work for now, all my work recs are old. I am about to change companies and I worry that my present supervisor will lash out when I leave, hence the worry!

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:56 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I think you're overthinking it a bit. LORs really don't matter that much. 90% of it is LSAT/GPA.

As long as you have a few standard LORs, it's not going to make a difference one way or another.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”