Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Tue May 05, 2015 2:12 pm

So I was waitlisted a week ago at my top choice. I sent in a LOCI last Sunday and then yesterday I received a denial. Is that coincidence or was my LOCI just that horrible? :?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 pm

I'll give a brief critique if you PM it to me.

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby Big Red » Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 pm

What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Tue May 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Big Red wrote:What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?


Lower T2 one ... bummed. I just don't know if it's coincidence or if they really hated my LOCI. I thought it was well written. What would be egregious in your opinion? The waitlist letter said I was among the well-qualified applicants. On a call they said they probably wouldn't start looking at the waitlist until mid-May. Wow...

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Northern Kentucky ?

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Northern Kentucky ?


No just PMed you.

dustybottoms7
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby dustybottoms7 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Big Red wrote:What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?


lol you mean like that ?

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby Big Red » Tue May 05, 2015 4:44 pm

dustybottoms7 wrote:
Big Red wrote:What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?


lol you mean like that ?


Yeah that was the joke... Obviously...

But to be fair my phone thinks that's a word

User avatar
strugglebus
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby strugglebus » Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 pm

ms2dai wrote:
Big Red wrote:What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?


Lower T2 one ... bummed. I just don't know if it's coincidence or if they really hated my LOCI. I thought it was well written. What would be egregious in your opinion? The waitlist letter said I was among the well-qualified applicants. On a call they said they probably wouldn't start looking at the waitlist until mid-May. Wow...

They basically always say this. Just like dings focus on how competitive the applicant pool was and how awesome it was. The form letters aren't meant as an individualized discussion of the merits of your app.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 05, 2015 11:56 pm

if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby Br3v » Wed May 06, 2015 12:04 am

What's your LSAT/GPA?

secadc11
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby secadc11 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:42 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in


I'm going to give this a "sorry bro but +1"

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 6:16 am

strugglebus wrote:
ms2dai wrote:
Big Red wrote:What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?


Lower T2 one ... bummed. I just don't know if it's coincidence or if they really hated my LOCI. I thought it was well written. What would be egregious in your opinion? The waitlist letter said I was among the well-qualified applicants. On a call they said they probably wouldn't start looking at the waitlist until mid-May. Wow...

They basically always say this. Just like dings focus on how competitive the applicant pool was and how awesome it was. The form letters aren't meant as an individualized discussion of the merits of your app.


Hopefully the denial letter gives me better insight when it arrives. Maybe I can reapply another time if I know where I went wrong.

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 6:19 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in


Ouch ... don't kill my dreams. Things happen in life and yada yada I still want to go to law school even if that's at a lower T2. Tired of dreams being deferred...

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 6:21 am

Br3v wrote:What's your LSAT/GPA?


Let's just say it's also something a T2 on down would take. I should retake but holding out hope.

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 6:24 am

secadc11 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in


I'm going to give this a "sorry bro but +1"


Haha ... let me wallow in my dream. Even if it's not up to your standards...

User avatar
LadyProspero
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:04 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby LadyProspero » Wed May 06, 2015 7:05 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Northern Kentucky ?
God I hope not. I live in Northern Kentucky, please don't go here. Also isn't this like a T4? I don't think it's even in the TTT...

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 am

LadyProspero wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Northern Kentucky ?
God I hope not. I live in Northern Kentucky, please don't go here. Also isn't this like a T4? I don't think it's even in the TTT...



No it's not but they did reach out and say how great it was. It's actually unranked but they say that doesn't matter.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4145
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed May 06, 2015 9:31 am

ms2dai wrote:
Hopefully the denial letter gives me better insight when it arrives. Maybe I can reapply another time if I know where I went wrong.


Denial letters aren't usually personalized. It's just a form letter.

Besides, you know what to do. You don't need them to spell it out for you. If you're getting WL'd by T2 schools, it means your numbers aren't very strong. Don't spend your energy trying to read tea leaves; spend it on studying for an LSAT retake.

User avatar
LadyProspero
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:04 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby LadyProspero » Wed May 06, 2015 9:32 am

ms2dai wrote:
LadyProspero wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Northern Kentucky ?
God I hope not. I live in Northern Kentucky, please don't go here. Also isn't this like a T4? I don't think it's even in the TTT...



No it's not but they did reach out and say how great it was. It's actually unranked but they say that doesn't matter.
I can spit and hit NKU. Maybe it's better than other TTTT schools (I truly don't know), but I'd imagine you really have to be at the top of your class to have a chance at one of the top firms in Cincinnati, which is nothing like any of the top firms in NYC or any other primary markets. Most Chase grads come out making $35k-$50k in legal jobs at smaller practices.

I have a 155 (nothing I'd ever consider a "high score"), got into WUSTL (at sticker) and a few other decent options, but not good for the money I'd be spending. I'm sitting out to retake, you really should too. The point of telling you that was you can have decent options even with a lower LSAT, though I don't consider sticker a "good option," so you'll still likely need something in the mid-160's for a T30 with decent money, which again isn't terribly hard to get with enough study... Depending on your GPA, that is.

Good luck!
Last edited by LadyProspero on Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OhBoyOhBortles
Posts: 2257
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 am

Keep your chin up and start studying up for that retake. Next year you can send them an application just to eventually reject them.

User avatar
strugglebus
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby strugglebus » Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 am

ms2dai wrote:
strugglebus wrote:
ms2dai wrote:
Big Red wrote:What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?


Lower T2 one ... bummed. I just don't know if it's coincidence or if they really hated my LOCI. I thought it was well written. What would be egregious in your opinion? The waitlist letter said I was among the well-qualified applicants. On a call they said they probably wouldn't start looking at the waitlist until mid-May. Wow...

They basically always say this. Just like dings focus on how competitive the applicant pool was and how awesome it was. The form letters aren't meant as an individualized discussion of the merits of your app.


Hopefully the denial letter gives me better insight when it arrives. Maybe I can reapply another time if I know where I went wrong.

They aren't going to tell you why you were denied. It's too much effort for them and would make people more likely to complain/argue/sue.

ms2dai wrote:
LadyProspero wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Northern Kentucky ?
God I hope not. I live in Northern Kentucky, please don't go here. Also isn't this like a T4? I don't think it's even in the TTT...



No it's not but they did reach out and say how great it was. It's actually unranked but they say that doesn't matter.

How does a school thinking it's great at all indicate that it's a good idea to go to law school there? Not even the worst TTTT is going to send an email saying "We're awful, but you should apply anyway." Look at Cooley. It ranks itself #2.

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Thu May 07, 2015 7:52 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
ms2dai wrote:
Hopefully the denial letter gives me better insight when it arrives. Maybe I can reapply another time if I know where I went wrong.


Denial letters aren't usually personalized. It's just a form letter.

Besides, you know what to do. You don't need them to spell it out for you. If you're getting WL'd by T2 schools, it means your numbers aren't very strong. Don't spend your energy trying to read tea leaves; spend it on studying for an LSAT retake.


You're right. I may have to end up doing that.

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Thu May 07, 2015 7:54 am

LadyProspero wrote:
ms2dai wrote:
LadyProspero wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Northern Kentucky ?
God I hope not. I live in Northern Kentucky, please don't go here. Also isn't this like a T4? I don't think it's even in the TTT...



No it's not but they did reach out and say how great it was. It's actually unranked but they say that doesn't matter.
I can spit and hit NKU. Maybe it's better than other TTTT schools (I truly don't know), but I'd imagine you really have to be at the top of your class to have a chance at one of the top firms in Cincinnati, which is nothing like any of the top firms in NYC or any other primary markets. Most Chase grads come out making $35k-$50k in legal jobs at smaller practices.

I have a 155 (nothing I'd ever consider a "high score"), got into WUSTL (at sticker) and a few other decent options, but not good for the money I'd be spending. I'm sitting out to retake, you really should too. The point of telling you that was you can have decent options even with a lower LSAT, though I don't consider sticker a "good option," so you'll still likely need something in the mid-160's for a T30 with decent money, which again isn't terribly hard to get with enough study... Depending on your GPA, that is.

Good luck!


Thanks ... seems like that is definitely what I need to focus on right about now.

ms2dai
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Thu May 07, 2015 7:54 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Keep your chin up and start studying up for that retake. Next year you can send them an application just to eventually reject them.


Good point!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: theboringest, THELAWWIZARD, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests