Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ms2dai

Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby ms2dai » Tue May 05, 2015 2:12 pm

So I was waitlisted a week ago at my top choice. I sent in a LOCI last Sunday and then yesterday I received a denial. Is that coincidence or was my LOCI just that horrible? :?

CanadianWolf

Re: Waitlisted then denied ... coincidence???

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 pm

I'll give a brief critique if you PM it to me.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 pm

What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Tue May 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Big Red wrote:What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?

Lower T2 one ... bummed. I just don't know if it's coincidence or if they really hated my LOCI. I thought it was well written. What would be egregious in your opinion? The waitlist letter said I was among the well-qualified applicants. On a call they said they probably wouldn't start looking at the waitlist until mid-May. Wow...

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Northern Kentucky ?

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Northern Kentucky ?

No just PMed you.

dustybottoms7

Postby dustybottoms7 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Big Red wrote:What school? That a pretty quick hook... Have you checked the loci to see if there wasn't anything aggregious? Did deposit deadlines just pass?

lol you mean like that ?

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Tue May 05, 2015 4:44 pm

dustybottoms7 wrote:

lol you mean like that ?

Yeah that was the joke... Obviously...

But to be fair my phone thinks that's a word

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 pm

ms2dai wrote:

Lower T2 one ... bummed. I just don't know if it's coincidence or if they really hated my LOCI. I thought it was well written. What would be egregious in your opinion? The waitlist letter said I was among the well-qualified applicants. On a call they said they probably wouldn't start looking at the waitlist until mid-May. Wow...

They basically always say this. Just like dings focus on how competitive the applicant pool was and how awesome it was. The form letters aren't meant as an individualized discussion of the merits of your app.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 05, 2015 11:56 pm

if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed May 06, 2015 12:04 am

What's your LSAT/GPA?

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:42 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in

I'm going to give this a "sorry bro but +1"

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 6:16 am

strugglebus wrote:
ms2dai wrote:

They basically always say this. Just like dings focus on how competitive the applicant pool was and how awesome it was. The form letters aren't meant as an individualized discussion of the merits of your app.

Hopefully the denial letter gives me better insight when it arrives. Maybe I can reapply another time if I know where I went wrong.

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 6:19 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:if youre getting waitlists at lower T2 schools probably not worth going even if you got in

Ouch ... don't kill my dreams. Things happen in life and yada yada I still want to go to law school even if that's at a lower T2. Tired of dreams being deferred...

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 6:21 am

Br3v wrote:What's your LSAT/GPA?

Let's just say it's also something a T2 on down would take. I should retake but holding out hope.

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 6:24 am

secadc11 wrote:

I'm going to give this a "sorry bro but +1"

Haha ... let me wallow in my dream. Even if it's not up to your standards...

LadyProspero

Postby LadyProspero » Wed May 06, 2015 7:05 am

God I hope not. I live in Northern Kentucky, please don't go here. Also isn't this like a T4? I don't think it's even in the TTT...

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 am

LadyProspero wrote:
God I hope not. I live in Northern Kentucky, please don't go here. Also isn't this like a T4? I don't think it's even in the TTT...

No it's not but they did reach out and say how great it was. It's actually unranked but they say that doesn't matter.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed May 06, 2015 9:31 am

ms2dai wrote:
Hopefully the denial letter gives me better insight when it arrives. Maybe I can reapply another time if I know where I went wrong.

Denial letters aren't usually personalized. It's just a form letter.

Besides, you know what to do. You don't need them to spell it out for you. If you're getting WL'd by T2 schools, it means your numbers aren't very strong. Don't spend your energy trying to read tea leaves; spend it on studying for an LSAT retake.

LadyProspero

Postby LadyProspero » Wed May 06, 2015 9:32 am

ms2dai wrote:
LadyProspero wrote:

No it's not but they did reach out and say how great it was. It's actually unranked but they say that doesn't matter.
I can spit and hit NKU. Maybe it's better than other TTTT schools (I truly don't know), but I'd imagine you really have to be at the top of your class to have a chance at one of the top firms in Cincinnati, which is nothing like any of the top firms in NYC or any other primary markets. Most Chase grads come out making $35k-$50k in legal jobs at smaller practices.

I have a 155 (nothing I'd ever consider a "high score"), got into WUSTL (at sticker) and a few other decent options, but not good for the money I'd be spending. I'm sitting out to retake, you really should too. The point of telling you that was you can have decent options even with a lower LSAT, though I don't consider sticker a "good option," so you'll still likely need something in the mid-160's for a T30 with decent money, which again isn't terribly hard to get with enough study... Depending on your GPA, that is.

Good luck!
Last edited by LadyProspero on Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 am

Keep your chin up and start studying up for that retake. Next year you can send them an application just to eventually reject them.

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 am

ms2dai wrote:
strugglebus wrote:
ms2dai wrote:

They aren't going to tell you why you were denied. It's too much effort for them and would make people more likely to complain/argue/sue.

ms2dai wrote:
LadyProspero wrote:

How does a school thinking it's great at all indicate that it's a good idea to go to law school there? Not even the worst TTTT is going to send an email saying "We're awful, but you should apply anyway." Look at Cooley. It ranks itself #2.

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Thu May 07, 2015 7:52 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
ms2dai wrote:

Denial letters aren't usually personalized. It's just a form letter.

Besides, you know what to do. You don't need them to spell it out for you. If you're getting WL'd by T2 schools, it means your numbers aren't very strong. Don't spend your energy trying to read tea leaves; spend it on studying for an LSAT retake.

You're right. I may have to end up doing that.

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Thu May 07, 2015 7:54 am

LadyProspero wrote:
ms2dai wrote:
LadyProspero wrote:

I can spit and hit NKU. Maybe it's better than other TTTT schools (I truly don't know), but I'd imagine you really have to be at the top of your class to have a chance at one of the top firms in Cincinnati, which is nothing like any of the top firms in NYC or any other primary markets. Most Chase grads come out making $35k-$50k in legal jobs at smaller practices.

I have a 155 (nothing I'd ever consider a "high score"), got into WUSTL (at sticker) and a few other decent options, but not good for the money I'd be spending. I'm sitting out to retake, you really should too. The point of telling you that was you can have decent options even with a lower LSAT, though I don't consider sticker a "good option," so you'll still likely need something in the mid-160's for a T30 with decent money, which again isn't terribly hard to get with enough study... Depending on your GPA, that is.

Good luck!

Thanks ... seems like that is definitely what I need to focus on right about now.

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Thu May 07, 2015 7:54 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Keep your chin up and start studying up for that retake. Next year you can send them an application just to eventually reject them.

Good point!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”