Will law schools see my fall grades before admission? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawurmStudent

New

Will law schools see my fall grades before admission?

Post by LawurmStudent » Mon May 04, 2015 9:56 pm

I am graduating after the fall semester of next year. If I apply with October LSAT and get everything in right after will they likely not admit me until seeing fall semester grades?

Was hoping I could make this work to my benefit by allowing me to raise my GPA a little more.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Will law schools see my fall grades before admission?

Post by Rigo » Mon May 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Depends on how borderline you are, but tons of people get admitted without fall grades. If your GPA maintains or rises, definitely send the schools your fall grades when you get them.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 10:54 pm

On a related note: would it be more effective to apply early or wait until fall grades are available? (beginning of December in my case)

And slightly unrelated, when is the best time to apply if you take the September LSAT?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon May 04, 2015 10:58 pm

tskela wrote:On a related note: would it be more effective to apply early or wait until fall grades are available? (beginning of December in my case)
And slightly unrelated, when is the best time to apply if you take the September LSAT?
It's unlikely your GPA would skyrocket enough to truly justify waiting, so I just apply ASAP and then update the schools on your fall semester when you get grades.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Rigo wrote:
tskela wrote:On a related note: would it be more effective to apply early or wait until fall grades are available? (beginning of December in my case)
It's unlikely your GPA would skyrocket enough to truly justify waiting, so I just apply ASAP and then update the schools on your fall semester when you get grades.
Thanks, I hadn't realized applying early made that much of a difference. What deadline should I be aiming for? Is submitting in September better than October or are both those months considered pretty early?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon May 04, 2015 11:05 pm

I would say anything before Thanksgiving is early and anything before MLK Jr. Day in January is on time. Defintiely no rush or reason to submit apps before you have a LSAT score.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 11:12 pm

Rigo wrote:I would say anything before Thanksgiving is early and anything before MLK Jr. Day in January is on time. Defintiely no rush or reason to submit apps before you have a LSAT score.
Gotcha, thanks. Last question I promise: in your opinion, applying with a 3.65 by Thanksgiving would be more beneficial than applying with a 3.70 by MLK Jr. Day, right? (Have a 171 from last February if that helps, re-taking in September)

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon May 04, 2015 11:32 pm

tskela wrote:
Rigo wrote:I would say anything before Thanksgiving is early and anything before MLK Jr. Day in January is on time. Defintiely no rush or reason to submit apps before you have a LSAT score.
Gotcha, thanks. Last question I promise: in your opinion, applying with a 3.65 by Thanksgiving would be more beneficial than applying with a 3.70 by MLK Jr. Day, right? (Have a 171 from last February if that helps, re-taking in September)
Yes. I would get the ball rolling with the 3.65/171 and then update your app with your new stats as needed.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 11:35 pm

Rigo wrote:
tskela wrote:
Yes. I would get the ball rolling with the 3.65/171 and then update your app with your new stats as needed.
Makes sense, thanks for your help :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 05, 2015 1:04 am

some schools will request them eg columbia

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue May 05, 2015 8:18 am

OP, in your case, apply as early as you humanly can with your 171. Assuming you get even 1 more point on a retake, you're a strong splitter app, and splitters have much better cycles when they apply really damn early. They won't review your application until your retake score is in if you ask them not to.

Whatever you do, make sure apps are in before Thanksgiving for the best possible cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”