Does this warrant an addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tskela
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 1:26 pm

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by tskela on Mon May 04, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OhBoyOhBortles
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 1:28 pm

What's your final LSAC gpa?

ETA: Probably not even necessary if you finished at 3.65/3.7. If not, I think an addendum will be a good idea. Just monitor your tone and make sure it comes across as a learning experience (overcoming hardship, etc), rather than an excuse. Your LSAT score will matter more than your addendum though. Focus on nailing that.
Last edited by OhBoyOhBortles on Mon May 04, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tskela
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 1:30 pm

.
Last edited by tskela on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tskela
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 1:34 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:What's your final LSAC gpa?

ETA: Probably not even necessary if you finished at 3.65/3.7. If not, I think an addendum will be a good idea. Just monitor your tone and make sure it comes across as a learning experience (overcoming hardship, etc), rather than an excuse. Your LSAT score will matter more than your addendum though. Focus on nailing that.


Thanks so much for the advice. I scored 171 last February and will be taking it again in September. That's definitely my primary concern right now. :)

User avatar
OhBoyOhBortles
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 1:36 pm

tskela wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:What's your final LSAC gpa?

ETA: Probably not even necessary if you finished at 3.65/3.7. If not, I think an addendum will be a good idea. Just monitor your tone and make sure it comes across as a learning experience (overcoming hardship, etc), rather than an excuse. Your LSAT score will matter more than your addendum though. Focus on nailing that.


Thanks so much for the advice. I scored 171 last February and will be taking it again in September. That's definitely my primary concern right now. :)


Nice! Well done this past feb and good luck in sep! I think you're setting yourself up for a good cycle whenever you apply.

tskela
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 1:47 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
tskela wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:What's your final LSAC gpa?

ETA: Probably not even necessary if you finished at 3.65/3.7. If not, I think an addendum will be a good idea. Just monitor your tone and make sure it comes across as a learning experience (overcoming hardship, etc), rather than an excuse. Your LSAT score will matter more than your addendum though. Focus on nailing that.


Thanks so much for the advice. I scored 171 last February and will be taking it again in September. That's definitely my primary concern right now. :)


Nice! Well done this past feb and good luck in sep! I think you're setting yourself up for a good cycle whenever you apply.


Thank you! :)

Moneytrees
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby Moneytrees » Mon May 04, 2015 1:48 pm

First off, your final GPA is solid, so good job rebounding from the tough semester. You also did very well on the LSAT, so all in all you are in a very good position. Expect your cycle to be a good one.

Have you considered making your freshman year travails the main focus of your personal statement? Most personal statements consist of fluff; you seem like you actually had to deal with some real issues early on in life, and could write something meaningful about how you overcame your disorder.

tskela
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 1:57 pm

.
Last edited by tskela on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moneytrees
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby Moneytrees » Mon May 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Interesting. That could be a good topic as well (I grew up outside the U.S. and wrote a similar type of essay about moving to the States). You are going to do great, good luck.

User avatar
OhBoyOhBortles
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Interesting. That could be a good topic as well (I grew up outside the U.S. and wrote a similar type of essay about moving to the States). You are going to do great, good luck.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 04, 2015 2:05 pm

An addendum is not necessary since your increased family obligations may have affected you in a very substantial fashion & an adcomm might wonder about whether or not you could handle the stress of the first year of law school.

The point of an addendum is to explain a negative in a way that turns it into a positive, or, at least, neutralizes the negative. Why highlight a negative that is likely to raise additional concerns ? Freshman year adjustments are quite common & don't require further explanation or highlighting.

tskela
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: Does this warrant an addendum?

Postby tskela » Mon May 04, 2015 2:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:An addendum is not necessary since your increased family obligations may have affected you in a very substantial fashion & an adcomm might wonder about whether or not you could handle the stress of the first year of law school.

The point of an addendum is to explain a negative in a way that turns it into a positive, or, at least, neutralizes the negative. Why highlight a negative that is likely to raise additional concerns ? Freshman year adjustments are quite common & don't require further explanation or highlighting.


Noted. I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks for the advice!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dodocogon, sakanaya and 4 guests