Asking for more money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nylawprospect

Asking for more money

Postby nylawprospect » Sun May 03, 2015 2:09 pm

I received a full ride from Hofstra and close to a full tuition from Rutgers-Camden. I would really like to go to Brooklyn because I want to practice in NY, but so far have just been offered admit. How would I go about inquiring about scholarship money? (do I write admissions or fin aid?) I also would like some thoughts on Hofstra v Rutgers C. with full tuition to both.

strugglebus

Re: Asking for more money

Postby strugglebus » Sun May 03, 2015 7:08 pm

What sorts of jobs are you aiming for? None of these schools is going to give you much of a chance at very many decent jobs that actually require a JD.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 03, 2015 7:49 pm

strugglebus wrote:What sorts of jobs are you aiming for? None of these schools is going to give you much of a chance at very many decent jobs that actually require a JD.

Or any job

It would be better to have a blank space on your resume than any of these schools

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
strugglebus wrote:What sorts of jobs are you aiming for? None of these schools is going to give you much of a chance at very many decent jobs that actually require a JD.

Or any job

It would be better to have a blank space on your resume than any of these schools

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Sun May 03, 2015 8:48 pm

To answer your first question, email finaid with a short statement and attach your other offer letters.

I know several Rutgers law grads (both Camden and Newark) and none of them are working as lawyers. These are otherwise smart and likeable people, too. Just something to consider.

FirmBiz

Postby FirmBiz » Fri May 08, 2015 9:44 pm

nylawprospect wrote:I received a full ride from Hofstra and close to a full tuition from Rutgers-Camden. I would really like to go to Brooklyn because I want to practice in NY, but so far have just been offered admit. How would I go about inquiring about scholarship money? (do I write admissions or fin aid?) I also would like some thoughts on Hofstra v Rutgers C. with full tuition to both.

Was in a very very similar situation with Bklyn, they were offering me a small amount whereas I had a full ride elsewhere, contacted admissions regarding withdrawing, instead of being offered more money, they decided to point out their ranking. Long story short, not going to Bklyn.

I didn't outright suggest that I would like more money, but I did suggest that the amount of money they were offering wasn't significant enough for me to choose them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”