Waitlist Interview

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gaud123

Waitlist Interview

Postby gaud123 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:31 pm

I've recently been placed on the waitlist for Southwestern Law School. Students placed on the waitlist have the option of submitting two additional essays as well as coming in for an interview. Neither are mandatory but highly recommended. I've already gotten to work on the essays, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice when it comes to the interview and what I can expect from it? I know law schools don't generally conduct interviews with applicants, but I guess my case is an exception. If anyone can give me any pointers on how to properly prepare, I would greatly appreciate it.

starry eyed

Re: Waitlist Interview

Postby starry eyed » Fri May 01, 2015 9:27 am

if you are in a position where paying sticker to go to Southwestern Law is a good outcome to you, you need to check the BRAKES. You will be paying 300k for like a 50% chance at becoming a lawyer. Retake and re-evaluate.

the waitlist is a blessing in disguise as this could be a potentially life ruining acceptance

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 01, 2015 9:33 am

starry eyed wrote:if you are in a position where paying sticker to go to Southwestern Law is a good outcome to you, you need to check the BRAKES. You will be paying 300k for like a 50% chance at becoming a lawyer. Retake and re-evaluate.

the waitlist is a blessing in disguise as this could be a potentially life ruining acceptance

This. OP, you need to consider retaking to better your outcomes next year.

humph

Postby humph » Fri May 01, 2015 10:13 am

While there are certainly many intelligent people on TLS who know what they are talking about, I think sometimes we should just stick to answering the questions the OP asks instead of giving them life advice. Of course I'm no expert, just a thought.

In response to your original question, I would say be prepared to answer why Southwestern, why law, what do you see yourself using the degree for, how can you contribute to the school itself while you are there, etc.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri May 01, 2015 10:27 am

humph, i think he would be better served if he doesn't even know how to get off the waitlist

would you give a toddler a gun?

humph

Postby humph » Fri May 01, 2015 10:29 am

starry eyed wrote:humph, i think he would be better served if he doesn't even know how to get off the waitlist

I completely understand your point. However, I'm just a strong believer in letting people make their own decisions. To each his own!

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 01, 2015 10:33 am

humph wrote:
starry eyed wrote:humph, i think he would be better served if he doesn't even know how to get off the waitlist

I completely understand your point. However, I'm just a strong believer in letting people make their own decisions. To each his own!

No one on TLS makes the decision for them.

OP, you have less than a coin flip's chance at being a lawyer making maybe 50k/yr and probably (assumption made from you coming off the waitlist) a 90% chance of having a debt level above $250,000.

Source: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/southwestern/

Consider the repercussions of your potential decision to attend this school.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Fri May 01, 2015 10:37 am

humph wrote:

I am too, but there exists an asymmetric information problem (adverse selection) with OP, it seems. Decisions are best made with complete information (at least as much as possible). OP needs to really take a close look at the employment numbers and understand that 200k+ is a bad idea at MOST law schools. But yeah, as far as the interview goes, just emphasize your potential contribution to said school and why said school fits with your goals. just don't let said school be Southwestern and at that price.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:55 am

Looking at OPs post history, if they are not a troll, suggests going to Southwestern is the least of their problems:

gaud123 wrote:I'm currently enrolled in a part-time California accredited law school that I'm failing. I want to start fresh and apply to another part-time California accredited law school. Will the new law school that I'm applying to know that I dropped out of another law school? Is there a database that they can search to find out? I do not have any student loans. I've paid for everything out of pocket.

OP, if you're not a troll, get out of this law school game before making your life way worse.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Fri May 01, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri May 01, 2015 10:59 am

lol @ new loans equaling a fresh start

usn26

Postby usn26 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:38 am

Yikes. Just… eek.

gaud123

Postby gaud123 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Why are there so many trolls on this forum? All I asked was how I can prepare for an interview. What's everyone's problem? Isn't there anyone to moderate these forums?

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri May 01, 2015 3:26 pm

humph wrote:

OP can still choose, but we respond to him in this manner because we care. Sometimes it takes a little blunt truth to snap someone back into reality. If OP wants to spend $300k for a 50% chance at being a lawyer, so be it, but I'll be damned if I don't at least lay down the facts and say I would not pursue this path.

transferror

Postby transferror » Fri May 01, 2015 3:32 pm

gaud123 wrote:If anyone can give me any pointers on how to properly prepare, I would greatly appreciate it.

Have a pulse and a willingness to throw away hundreds of thousands of dollars and three years of your life

gaud123

Postby gaud123 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:42 pm

So by everyone's logic: Nobody should go to law school because it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars? You guys don't know anything about me or my work ethic.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri May 01, 2015 3:46 pm

gaud123 wrote:So by everyone's logic: Nobody should go to law school because it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars? You guys don't know anything about me or my work ethic.

Nobody should go to some law schools at a given price. It's variable. Some schools one should go at for a hundred grand. Some schools for free are defensible. Some schools are never defensible. It's really dependent on a lot of factors. In this instance, you probably should not go.

Work ethic is great, I applaud you for it but you will be competing against people smarter than you who, presumably, be working just as hard. I say they're smarter simply because they got accepted and you were WLed; their numbers are better.

Want to prove your work ethic? Retake the LSAT and apply to a better school. This is, of course, assuming you are a 0L and not a 1L like you said:
gaud123 wrote:I'm currently enrolled in a part-time California accredited law school that I'm failing. I want to start fresh and apply to another part-time California accredited law school. Will the new law school that I'm applying to know that I dropped out of another law school? Is there a database that they can search to find out? I do not have any student loans. I've paid for everything out of pocket.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 01, 2015 3:54 pm

gaud123 wrote:So by everyone's logic: Nobody should go to law school because it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars? You guys don't know anything about me or my work ethic.

Just based on your post history I think your critical reasoning ability, reading comprehension, and work ethic should be seriously called into question. You won't do well in law school if you lack all those things. Drop out/withdraw your application, regroup, and figure out a better direction to take your life. This really is a recipe for disaster.

But yeah, they'll ask you "Why law" and stuff.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri May 01, 2015 3:57 pm

i'm thinking that OP is a troll

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri May 01, 2015 3:59 pm

starry eyed wrote:i'm thinking that OP is a troll

Yeah but OP would be an awful troll. A troll can do better than this.

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri May 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Literally no one should go to Southwestern.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri May 01, 2015 4:21 pm

If OP was strategic, he would have changed the name to "Harvard" and gotten the responses he was looking for.

but if this thread is any indication, that word is not in OP's vocabulary
Last edited by starry eyed on Fri May 01, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Fri May 01, 2015 4:48 pm

humph wrote:

that's fucking stupid

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri May 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Law isn't the type of profession that merely requires a JD for success. I always hear people in my family defending the local TTT's because they are generous with scholarship money. What does it matter if you get a full ride to a TTT? Your chances of ever practicing law are still lower than 50%. Law school can objectively be a bad choice.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri May 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Law isn't the type of profession that merely requires a JD for success. I always hear people in my family defending the local TTT's because they are generous with scholarship money. What does it matter if you get a full ride to a TTT? Your chances of ever practicing law are still lower than 50%. Law school can objectively be a bad choice.

lol to which they reply, "it's about who ya know"

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon May 04, 2015 9:39 am

gaud123 wrote:I've recently been placed on the waitlist for Southwestern Law School. Students placed on the waitlist have the option of submitting two additional essays as well as coming in for an interview. Neither are mandatory but highly recommended. I've already gotten to work on the essays, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice when it comes to the interview and what I can expect from it? I know law schools don't generally conduct interviews with applicants, but I guess my case is an exception. If anyone can give me any pointers on how to properly prepare, I would greatly appreciate it.

How dare you besmirch the name of Good Guy Gaud.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”