Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
alexjinye
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

Postby alexjinye » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:09 pm

swampman wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:He was joking... To your random lay person not in NYC, New York University sounds like a random state school.

And in NYC we think it's about as good as a random state school, but we know the undergrads pay 60k a year for the privilege.


Yikes! Then I must work my ass off and ace the LSAT to avoid the NYU trap. :lol:
What do people in NY think about stern business school? I too think NYU undergrad is mediocre, but I thought stern school is pretty well-regarded?

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

Postby usn26 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:29 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:44% of graduates get JD required jobs. If you truly have the money to risk and it's really something you want to pursue, it's not something you are throwing away.

Let's be clear about what kind of gamble that is. That statistic means that if you are at MEDIAN, you don't even get to practice as a lawyer, never mind in big law. If I had venture capital money to throw around, that would be a tough sell.


Well, not really. That statistic means that 44% of graduates get JD required jobs, not that the top 44% get those jobs. Once you get beyond the a certain threshold of "top" graduates (whatever that means at those places) a lot probably comes down to commitment, hustle, and connections, and if we're assuming for the sake of argument that the OP is from a loaded family, however little s/he has of the first two I bet they more than make up for with that last one.

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:37 pm

usn26 wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:44% of graduates get JD required jobs. If you truly have the money to risk and it's really something you want to pursue, it's not something you are throwing away.

Let's be clear about what kind of gamble that is. That statistic means that if you are at MEDIAN, you don't even get to practice as a lawyer, never mind in big law. If I had venture capital money to throw around, that would be a tough sell.


Well, not really. That statistic means that 44% of graduates get JD required jobs, not that the top 44% get those jobs. Once you get beyond the a certain threshold of "top" graduates (whatever that means at those places) a lot probably comes down to commitment, hustle, and connections, and if we're assuming for the sake of argument that the OP is from a loaded family, however little s/he has of the first two I bet they more than make up for with that last one.

Ok, fine. Let's say for the sake of argument that you're correct that OP could find work based purely on connections (and we are assuming a hell of a lot for the sake of argument at this point btw). If the connections are that strong then there is no reason at all to get a JD. Simply replace b/s lawyer job with b/s job in marketing or whatever.

And I don't want to hear about OP's "passion for law." He can go read a John Grisham novel.

BigZuck
Posts: 10842
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 pm

This thread is startling pro-mediocre state schools and anti-THIRST for JUSTICE

OP- seriously, use that parental money to start a foundation or something. The chances of you doing something positive and worthwhile is so much greater than if you go to one of these schools.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

Postby usn26 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:04 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:
usn26 wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:44% of graduates get JD required jobs. If you truly have the money to risk and it's really something you want to pursue, it's not something you are throwing away.

Let's be clear about what kind of gamble that is. That statistic means that if you are at MEDIAN, you don't even get to practice as a lawyer, never mind in big law. If I had venture capital money to throw around, that would be a tough sell.


Well, not really. That statistic means that 44% of graduates get JD required jobs, not that the top 44% get those jobs. Once you get beyond the a certain threshold of "top" graduates (whatever that means at those places) a lot probably comes down to commitment, hustle, and connections, and if we're assuming for the sake of argument that the OP is from a loaded family, however little s/he has of the first two I bet they more than make up for with that last one.

Ok, fine. Let's say for the sake of argument that you're correct that OP could find work based purely on connections (and we are assuming a hell of a lot for the sake of argument at this point btw). If the connections are that strong then there is no reason at all to get a JD. Simply replace b/s lawyer job with b/s job in marketing or whatever.


Granted.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

Postby downbeat14 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:37 pm

Don't go to law school

User avatar
alexjinye
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

Postby alexjinye » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:40 pm

BigZuck wrote:This thread is startling pro-mediocre state schools and anti-THIRST for JUSTICE

OP- seriously, use that parental money to start a foundation or something. The chances of you doing something positive and worthwhile is so much greater than if you go to one of these schools.


this. With your settled abysmal gpa, you should not waste money on law school, instead, donate these money to kids in Africa rather than to law school

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Santa Clara Law or New York Law?

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat May 02, 2015 2:10 pm

So lawschool95148, which school are you gonna go to?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests