Need Help with scholarship Negotiations.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoCal Japorean

Need Help with scholarship Negotiations.

Postby SoCal Japorean » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Hello, I had a question about Scholarship Negotiations. I'm a non trad student that got accepted to a Tier 2, strong regional school with a scholarship of about 83% and would have to pay roughly 7k a year for tuition for 21k total. Although this is great, having a full ride would be even better, and it would free me up to have the option to do public interest work after graduation.

What would be the best way to approach asking for more $$$. I almost feel bad for asking and I have nightmares about getting my scholarship and acceptance rescinded when I asked for a bit more $$$.

My LSAT is 171. My GPA is blank and from a state school and I'm about 10 years out of college. I've been paralyzed for the last 3 days trying to come up how to ask for more without sounding greedy.

If anyone can help, I welcome the advice. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need Help with scholarship Negotiations.

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 pm

you don't have a gpa?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:04 pm

So grateful you gave me the offer, I really would like to attend, the cost of a legal education is an important consideration for me, I would appreciate it if you would keep me in mind if any scholarship funds open up. If you want to go nuts you can say they're your top choice and you would definitely attend if they give you a full ride. Unless you like insult their mother or something they aren't going to rescind your offer. Just be straightforward and polite and worse case scenario they just say sorry, funds have dried up.

This thread should get you where you need to go: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27221

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:04 pm

What is a blank gpa? Are you international?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:06 pm

I took it to mean "bad"

SoCal Japorean

Postby SoCal Japorean » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:09 pm

I took most of my classes through independent testing where it was Pass/fail. I had around 24 units of graded classes so my GPA is blank (not counted). LSAT doesn't count GPA unless you have over 60 units worth of graded classes. I guess it would be considered as bad in terms of scholarship as it would not raise the median GPA of the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”