AP Courses factoring into GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
preamble

Bronze

AP Courses factoring into GPA?

Post by preamble » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:50 pm

I have 30 credit hours by virtue of AP exams. My University does not calculate these credits into my GPA - however, my transcript shows the various classes that the corresponding AP exam applies to along with the actual score (1-5) of my AP exam.

Example:
AP English Literature/5/ENGL 102

There is no letter grade assigned; just the score itself. Will it be calculated into LSDAS GPA? For the "grade" column, it just says TR (transfer.) I also have some credits from community college courses that I took in high school that say the same thing - I received actual grades for those but they didn't carry over to my current university but I know that I'll have to send in transcripts from that community college. I'm just curious about the AP courses.

What worries me is that my transcript shows the exam score. Would LSAC calculate a "4" on AP Biology as a B- for instance? Or would it just have nil effect?

adil91

Silver

Re: AP Courses factoring into GPA?

Post by adil91 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:53 pm

Nope, they aren't counted whatsoever

preamble

Bronze

Post by preamble » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:55 pm

Oh, and the score of the AP exam is significant for the university itself because certain scores earn more credits. While a 4 in AP Biology will get you 4 credits (the first section of the Intro Bio sequence) a 5 will get you the first and second sections (8 credits). I'm thinking that this is perhaps why the transcript shows the score but its still bothering me.

preamble

Bronze

Post by preamble » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:57 pm

adil91 wrote:Nope, they aren't counted whatsoever
I know some schools actually assign letter grades to AP scores (a 3 is a C, etc) and in that case, they are calculated because a letter grade appears alongside credit hours on the transcript. In my case, its not a letter grade but rather an exam score produced by College Board.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... rade-table
On the table, there's a column that shows a 1-5 grading scale but there are +/- designations and it is inverted (a 1 is the best, apparently, whereas a 5 is failing?)

rubberplant2020

New

Post by rubberplant2020 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:11 am

preamble wrote:
adil91 wrote:Nope, they aren't counted whatsoever
I know some schools actually assign letter grades to AP scores (a 3 is a C, etc) and in that case, they are calculated because a letter grade appears alongside credit hours on the transcript. In my case, its not a letter grade but rather an exam score produced by College Board.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... rade-table
On the table, there's a column that shows a 1-5 grading scale but there are +/- designations and it is inverted (a 1 is the best, apparently, whereas a 5 is failing?)
AP grades do not factor into GPA for LSAC. That conversion of 1-5 is for people who come from countires that use 1-5 as grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”