Deposits to Hold Seat While Still Waiting to hear back

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:46 am

Deposits to Hold Seat While Still Waiting to hear back

Postby houseofcards » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 am

I received an offer from Georgetown, as a transfer, to start full time in 2015 I applied early action.

Georgetown is my safety. My first choice doesn't do EA so I won't hear back from them until at least the third week of June once my spring grades come in etc...

I have to submit a $600 deposit to Georgetown by May 1 and another $1000 on June 1 to "reserve my seat". How strict is this ?

Id like to avoid paying a deposit, but still keep my Georgetown offer "active" and eligible if my first choice doesn't pan out and need to enroll at Georgetown.

Does anyone have any experience or insight with how seat deposits work?

If I ask Georgetown for an extension, would they honor one? Would they "know what i was up to" and revoke my offer? Or, will they just decline to extend the deposit and ask that I make one or else risk losing my seat?

Thanks. Any insight would be really helpful.


Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Deposits to Hold Seat While Still Waiting to hear back

Postby JFO1833 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:24 pm

I don't know about transferring specifically and the rules might be different that for 0Ls but here is what I think is true (confirm it though):

1. You can ask Georgetown for an extension. They might grant it, but on the other hand they might not.

2. (At least of 0Ls) No school is allowed to make you withdraw pending applications or waitlists as a result of depositing. A school however can require a deposit to hold your seat, even if you are still waiting. After you give them a deposit, a school can (and some do) make you withdraw from schools where you have already been accepted.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 01panm, Google [Bot] and 16 guests