I failed a class just before graduation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nylawprospect

I failed a class just before graduation

Postby nylawprospect » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:03 pm

I've been accepted into several different law schools, but I'm going to fail a class just before graduation, and I'm absolutely devastated. Even if I take the class this summer, does that mean that I cannot attend in the fall?

kevgogators

Re: I failed a class just before graduation

Postby kevgogators » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:06 pm

As long as you have your B.A. prior to the commencement of lawl school, you're golden.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:19 pm

nylawprospect wrote:I've been accepted into several different law schools, but I'm going to fail a class just before graduation, and I'm absolutely devastated. Even if I take the class this summer, does that mean that I cannot attend in the fall?

you should email the prof and let them know you're going to law school and really need a D and see if there is anything you can do. profs don't wanna fuck up anyone's plans usually.

Albus Dumbledore

Postby Albus Dumbledore » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:33 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
nylawprospect wrote:I've been accepted into several different law schools, but I'm going to fail a class just before graduation, and I'm absolutely devastated. Even if I take the class this summer, does that mean that I cannot attend in the fall?

you should email the prof and let them know you're going to law school and really need a D and see if there is anything you can do. profs don't wanna fuck up anyone's plans usually.

I agree. I think it's worth it to try to talk to your professor. Come up with a great argument as to why you deserve a higher grade and then try to set up a meeting with him or her. It would be harder for him or her to say no in person. I did this once, and I successfully lobbied a professor to change my grade from a B+ to an A-.

If you don't care about your GPA though, and if you could still graduate even with that F or after the summer retake, then I don't think it's an issue. As kevgogators said, you just need to receive your Bachelor's Degree before starting law school.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Yeah, as long as you have the BA before starting law school you should be fine. It happens to people.

However, if you really are legitimately going to fail don't grovel to your prof. "I need the grade to go to grad school" isn't a strong argument; the response is that you should have thought about that before you did/didn't do whatever got you the F. (I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just saying how it often comes across to a prof.) Obviously I don't mean if there is any real ambiguity that you can argue, and if you haven't actually received all your grades it's reasonable to go check to make sure you're in looking at an F. But an F is kinda different from the difference between a B+/A-.

Also, is it a course you need to complete your major? Most departments won't accept anything below a C to fulfill major requirements.

nylawprospect

Postby nylawprospect » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks guys. It's a language class so I can't lobby, everything is pretty strict by the department.

jphiggo

Postby jphiggo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:33 pm

It's really late in the game for this to be a likely option, but you might try lobbying for an AW (non-punitive) or an incomplete rather than an F. It would likely be easier to convince a professor to do that than to give you a higher grade that you don't deserve (at least in their eyes...).
Last edited by jphiggo on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Try to withdraw or ask for an incomplete.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:34 pm

nylawprospect wrote:Thanks guys. It's a language class so I can't lobby, everything is pretty strict by the department.

Sorry OP, my UG's language departments are like this as well. Clear example of funding cuts hurting students.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:55 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
nylawprospect wrote:Thanks guys. It's a language class so I can't lobby, everything is pretty strict by the department.

Sorry OP, my UG's language departments are like this as well. Clear example of funding cuts hurting students.

I realize this is totally off-topic so I apologize, but why do you attribute this to funding cuts rather than a desire to keep everything consistent across classes/sections?

nylawprospect

Postby nylawprospect » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 pm

Would I need to contact the law school? Will they request my degree from me at some point?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:55 pm

I think they usually require you to submit a final transcript at some point, if you don't already have your BA when you apply.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:

I realize this is totally off-topic so I apologize, but why do you attribute this to funding cuts rather than a desire to keep everything consistent across classes/sections?

At least at my school, it was organized so the Spanish classes were all run by only 3 or 4 professors. So one professor might be overseeing 6 different classes of 30 students each. These classes were taught solely by grad students. These were actually different courses, not different sections, and they could just standardize by curving at the end if that was all they needed.

If you had a problem, the grad students didn't have the power to change grades or deviate from the system because they weren't actually professors. They would basically just shrug. Then, as a student, you didn't know and had never met the professor who was actually in charge of it. The professor would just defer to the grad student because they don't know anything about you. They have 8 zillion students all of whom have to get through 2 years of a language. If they would hire the number of professors they actually needed, then they would be able to evaluate each student individually. I ended up getting a minor and the upper division classes were completely different because they were actually taught by professors.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:38 am

Sorry, OP, about the class.

I agree with what everybody has said. You just need a bachelor’s degree.

1. I would also talk to the professor and the head of department for a D, and tell them an F may jeopardize your scholarship and your plans of attending LS, and ask them what you can do to get a D.
2. If not, do lobby for a withdrawal or incomplete for the class. You might have to talk to the dean at your school because it’s so late in the semester.
3. If the F is not a result of cheating/plagiarism, I would take it to someone higher than the department, if I were in your shoes. Also, try talking with the academic mentors at your school, they might offer you to try something different. I don't know specifically about your school, but at my school there are a few ways a person can appeal a grade, and these mentors will be familiar with them.
4. If this class is not an introductory language class, and you’ve had some other professors in the department with whom you are close, I would also try reaching out to your past professors, how you have these plans to attend law school and how you’re worried about this class affecting your plans. Have your past professors lobby for you.
5. If this F is a result of cheating/plagiarism, you can pm me. I’ve heard about some people in the language department at my school and they were planning on law school and they effed it up by cheating. Long story short, they’re basically sitting out three years, when their transcripts will no longer show that they failed the class due to cheating/plagiarism. They might have issues with C&F when they are reapplying/passing the bar, but that’s a separate issue, not sure if this is even relevant here.* Anyhow,
6. You don’t need to contact the law school about it until August-October, when they will require that you submit a final transcript to their school, which should say that you have bachelor's degree.

Sorry for the class, I hope you can get a higher grade.

VV *Yeah, as sublime said, if it is a result of cheating/plagiarism, it has to be disclosed.
Last edited by LawsRUs on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:45 am

VPlaw

Postby VPlaw » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:11 am

I believe just so you have a Baccalaureate degree before Fall term you should be ok. However, I guess you have to let the law school know you will be repeating a class.

VPlaw

Postby VPlaw » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 am

Is the language class required for graduation or can you supplement with any three to four credit course. Sometimes, some universities have correspondence courses that you can take any time. Perhaps you can complete it quickly and submit the credits to your college and earn a degree. If not, then repeat in the summer. I am sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”