No business experience?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HydroFlask666

No business experience?

Postby HydroFlask666 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:32 pm

I currently have a major in a humanities field, and am interested in doing "corporate law" (whatever that is). Will I learn everything I need about corporate/business law in law school or should I have just been an accounting/finance major? My school offers a certification program in business fundamentals, but I would honestly rather use those credit hours to take interesting, legitimate academic classes. At OCI, do interviewers for corporate prefer those with a business background? I've heard the analogy that majoring in business to be a corporate lawyer is like going to medical school to practice medical malpractice law. Is this analogy close to being true? Thanks!
Last edited by HydroFlask666 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Re: No business epxerience?

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Junior associate transactional work doesn't really require any business knowledge. You're basically copying and pasting, checking to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed, and looking over random contracts for due diligence.

HydroFlask666

Re: No business experience?

Postby HydroFlask666 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks for answering! Anyone else?

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 pm

While having a business background would be helpful for terminology or familiarity w/ documents, practicing transactional practice is markedly different (most would say dull in comparison) than what you'd do in a business setting, so it's not something that's going to be a bar from practicing (except maybe tax; I'm not sure I believe tax bros that say they'll take people w/o accounting degrees, but let's be honest, who wants to do tax law anyways?).

Anyways, yeah, there are plenty of liberal arts and various other basket weavers that end up practicing transactional law, so don't worry, it's not a bar.

I will say having a nice background will help you get interviews as a 1L before 1st semester grades come out, but only to the extent that it has to be relatively impressive. People with [Big 4, MBB, IB, PE, etc.] experience killed the game, but at the same time, people working similar but middle to low-tier roles in finance and accounting or K-JD business degree backgrounds faired like the rest. Nevertheless, it's a benefit, not a detriment. I got several offers as a 1L, and I'm a psych major.

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon May 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Every top law school offers courses in corporate finance and reading financial statements. You'll also pick up some business concepts through courses on corporate law, corporate tax, etc.

Butter

Postby Butter » Mon May 04, 2015 9:24 pm

If you are interested in corporate work, why didn't you take any economics courses in undergrad? While by no means necessary, I don't understand why someone interested in business work would not have taken a few simply out of interest. I think you will fair well, however; one's undergraduate major is not generally that helpful for anything other than signaling, and, even then, only slightly.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Tue May 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Butter wrote:If you are interested in corporate work, why didn't you take any economics courses in undergrad? While by no means necessary, I don't understand why someone interested in business work would not have taken a few simply out of interest. I think you will fair well, however; one's undergraduate major is not generally that helpful for anything other than signaling, and, even then, only slightly.

I can answer for myself. I knew I was planning on law school, that meant ease of grade >> interest.

Butter

Postby Butter » Wed May 06, 2015 12:07 am

Auxilio wrote:
Butter wrote:If you are interested in corporate work, why didn't you take any economics courses in undergrad? While by no means necessary, I don't understand why someone interested in business work would not have taken a few simply out of interest. I think you will fair well, however; one's undergraduate major is not generally that helpful for anything other than signaling, and, even then, only slightly.

I can answer for myself. I knew I was planning on law school, that meant ease of grade >> interest.

Ah, dude, don't disclose the secrets of our craft.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:49 am

banjo wrote:Every top law school offers courses in corporate finance and reading financial statements. You'll also pick up some business concepts through courses on corporate law, corporate tax, etc.

This. You'll pick up what you need in law school. Employers will care MUCH, MUCH more about your 1L grades than your undergrad major. Also, several law schools allow students to take classes across departments, so you can take some classes at the business school to count towards your JD. That said, taking one general economics course would be useful for personal knowledge and general background, since even the corporate law classes I've seen assume some basic familiarity with econ concepts.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”