Decided, to retake, what to tell current law schools.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hoping2015

Decided, to retake, what to tell current law schools.

Postby hoping2015 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:38 pm

So I know I should have made this decision earlier but I'm trying to move out of state and had custody battle of my own to deal with and I wasn't sure how not going to law school this year would effect my chances on being able to move with my child. (as maybe I didn't have a good enough reason to move). Anyways thats cleared up and not going this year won't hurt my chances, I still need to move now if I want to cause we have things in our favor, but I can just move to be closer to family.

Saying all that I didn't do good at all on the LSAT, my UGPA is decent, and I have some good softs. I want to spend this time working part time, getting custody in order, and moving around august or September, then taking the LSAT in December and redoing the application process.

I was wondering what do I do with schools that I'm on a waitlist or I'm still waiting to here from, or that I got accepted, should I withdraw using the custody thing, or should I say that I want to retake. I will probably be applying at some of the same schools, I'm just hoping to get into a better school, or to at least get some $$$ from other schools. Or should not give a reason and just say I am withdrawing my application or my acceptance and going to attend law school the following cycle?

Any advice? thank you :D

midwestlawl

Re: Decided, to retake, what to tell current law schools.

Postby midwestlawl » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:47 pm

Waitlisted schools: e-mail them saying youre withdrawing

accepted schools: e-mail them saying youre not accepting and you will re-apply next year, or if you don't pay the deposit fee you forfeit your seat anyway

Giving a reason doesn't really matter, if you want to sure, but it won't hurt you or help you in the next cycle

Good luck on the re-take!

hoping2015

Postby hoping2015 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 pm

midwestlawl wrote:Waitlisted schools: e-mail them saying youre withdrawing

accepted schools: e-mail them saying youre not accepting and you will re-apply next year, or if you don't pay the deposit fee you forfeit your seat anyway

Giving a reason doesn't really matter, if you want to sure, but it won't hurt you or help you in the next cycle

Thank you !!

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:33 pm

hoping2015 wrote:

Thank you !!

Yeah this is credited but also I wanted to add that a judge will definitely think going to law school is a good enough reason for moving. I went through this myself, so I can relate.

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:11 pm

They might not care but it wouldnt hurt to give a reason. It'd probably be in your best interest to do that since you might reapply to the same schools

hoping2015

Postby hoping2015 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Thats why I was concerned, saying I still want to move this year to be closer to my family, but maybe not law school...

Thats why even though my LSAT sucked I was reluctant to wait a year, but it seems to be okay.

I hope everything went good for you and your custody thing, it definitely does not help the stress of law school to deal with that too.

Thank you!

LET'S GET IT wrote:
hoping2015 wrote:

Thank you !!

Yeah this is credited but also I wanted to add that a judge will definitely think going to law school is a good enough reason for moving. I went through this myself, so I can relate.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 pm

tell them you're withdrawing, unless they give you a full ride + stipend.
if they don't, proceed to withdraw. be safe.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”