Penn JD/MBA Full Ride

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wunderkind2

Penn JD/MBA Full Ride

Postby wunderkind2 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:41 am

If I was a competitive applicant to HYS (assume 3.9+, 173+), could I work a full-ride out of Penn for their JD/MBA program? As in, would it be realistic to ask Penn Law to cover the full cost of the program if I got into both Law and Wharton? Has this ever happened before?

Mack.Hambleton

Re: Penn JD/MBA Full Ride

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:49 am

Don't know why you would get tuition paid for at Wharton it's a separate thing and they don't do merit scholarships like law school

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Penn doesn't give any merit aid for Wharton students? I know some JD/MBA kids and they are receiving merit aid for business school.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:06 pm

I think they do a small number of grants and whatnot but nothing like law school merit scholarships

xiao_long

Postby xiao_long » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:08 pm

wunderkind2 wrote:If I was a competitive applicant to HYS (assume 3.9+, 173+), could I work a full-ride out of Penn for their JD/MBA program? As in, would it be realistic to ask Penn Law to cover the full cost of the program if I got into both Law and Wharton? Has this ever happened before?

Unless you have the requisite work experience to get you into Wharton, you're facing an uphill climb. And I'm sure you know you would also have to take the GMAT/GRE to satisfy Wharton. B-school merit aid is not numbers driven, so it's much harder to forecast. I'm sure most Wharton students get something, but the average debt is still like $120,000.

bretby

Postby bretby » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:19 pm

wunderkind2 wrote:If I was a competitive applicant to HYS (assume 3.9+, 173+), could I work a full-ride out of Penn for their JD/MBA program? As in, would it be realistic to ask Penn Law to cover the full cost of the program if I got into both Law and Wharton? Has this ever happened before?

No. Penn Law has no reason to pay your tuition at another school, despite your 173+.

nosocat

Postby nosocat » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Interesting. I've never looked far enough into an MBA to get into financial aid details. Is the merit aid structure generally the same policy across the board for business schools, or are these comments specific to Wharton? (For the record, I agree there's no reason the law school would cover someone's tuition for this - wondering more about the general practices.)

xiao_long

Postby xiao_long » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:05 pm

nosocat wrote:Interesting. I've never looked far enough into an MBA to get into financial aid details. Is the merit aid structure generally the same policy across the board for business schools, or are these comments specific to Wharton? (For the record, I agree there's no reason the law school would cover someone's tuition for this - wondering more about the general practices.)

I think for the most part, the merit aid process at the top business schools is quite opaque. I have heard stories about Wharton offering a huge amount of money to the would-be HBS matriculant, or Stanford GSB giving big sums of money to lure the Rhodes Scholar applicant, but at the end of the day it's really a black box.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:24 pm

For what it's worth, I have a buddy got a substantial (over half of tuition) scholarship.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:42 pm

Moneytrees wrote:For what it's worth, I have a buddy got a substantial (over half of tuition) scholarship.

How

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:35 pm

He had about a half-scholarship to the law school, applied to the JD-MBA program during his second year, and was eventually given about 15k toward the business school tuition. He negotiated and was able to get the offer up to about half of tuition.

Petrichor

Postby Petrichor » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:17 pm

it is possible to get full ride from wharton, the one person i know who got is exceptionally gifted academically and had a superb track record in public interest, it was awarded as part of a joint degree (full ride to both)

Gucci Mane

Postby Gucci Mane » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:13 am

I interviewed with the program director a few months ago. Its definitely possible to get full tuition, from what I understand their JD/MBA program has its own distinct funding apart from the law school and the b-school.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Merit rides are certainly given out. You will need a GMAT that's high as well. You also need to build a quick relationship with Colleen. Like yesterday.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”