East Coaster and West Coast schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dontrogerthat

East Coaster and West Coast schools

Postby dontrogerthat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:04 pm

I havent taken the LSAT yet or anything but have began researching schools.

I currently live on the east coast, have been my entire life. However, I've always wanted to live in LA for 3-5 years.

Would it be idiotic for me to go to UCLA/USC (if I don't get into Berk) and work in LA big law for a few years if I ultimately want to settle down on the east coast?

Capitol_Idea

Re: East Coaster and West Coast schools

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:06 pm

Yes.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:33 am

My understanding is that if you do get a Biglaw job in LA, it would be possible to lateral to a NYC firm down the road. It might not be easy, and it might take some time, but it's possible. However, getting Biglaw out of USC and UCLA is by no means easy.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:37 am

If you want to live in LA for 3-5 years, why not go live in LA for 3-5 years and then go to law school when that time is up?

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:47 am

Moneytrees wrote:My understanding is that if you do get a Biglaw job in LA, it would be possible to lateral to a NYC firm down the road. It might not be easy, and it might take some time, but it's possible. However, getting Biglaw out of USC and UCLA is by no means easy.

This thread was funnier when it was just my answer.

I hear it is very hard to move from west coast to east - the perception is that life is easier there so adjusting to NY/DC work schedules would be hard and that's a tough perception (however right/wrong) to shake. But that's BigLaw to BigLaw - if you want to go from BigLaw to something else, you might be better off. BUT connections and ties to the area you want to end up in help for smaller outfits.

BigZuck wrote:If you want to live in LA for 3-5 years, why not go live in LA for 3-5 years and then go to law school when that time is up?

So ultimately, this is the CR. Go to law school with the market (and other long-term goals) you want in mind.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:30 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:I havent taken the LSAT yet or anything but have began researching schools.

I currently live on the east coast, have been my entire life. However, I've always wanted to live in LA for 3-5 years.

Would it be idiotic for me to go to UCLA/USC (if I don't get into Berk) and work in LA big law for a few years if I ultimately want to settle down on the east coast?

I think the idiotic part would be going to UCLA/USC with the assumption of LA biglaw. What if you don't have the grades for LA biglaw? I don't think either of those schools have any placement power on the east coast. If you can get boalt at a reasonable price, the plan becomes a little more defensible, but still not a good plan. If you ultimately want to work out east, probably go to school out east.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:36 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
dontrogerthat wrote:I havent taken the LSAT yet or anything but have began researching schools.

I think the idiotic part would be going to UCLA/USC with the assumption of LA biglaw. What if you don't have the grades for LA biglaw? I don't think either of those schools have any placement power on the east coast. If you can get boalt at a reasonable price, the plan becomes a little more defensible, but still not a good plan. If you ultimately want to work out east, probably go to school out east.

This

This

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”