Deposit & Negotiations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dustybottoms7

New

Deposit & Negotiations

Post by dustybottoms7 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:22 am

If you don't deposit at a school at which you received a scholarship, does the scholarship offer no longer stand, hence no longer being able to use it to negotiate? Or can you still use a scholarship offer to negotiate with others after the deposit deadline and not depositing. $500+ is a steep bargaining chip.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Re: Deposit & Negotiations

Post by fisheatbananas » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:22 am

The scholarship offer 'no longer stands' as in, you no longer have an admittance to the school which gave you that scholarship offer. When you negotiate are you going to try saying 'this school gave me x amount of dollars but I prefer going to your school, could you please match the scholarship'? It seems to me that when you negotiate, you will probably need the assumption that you are undecided between the school that offered you a scholarship and the school that you are negotiating with. But if you didn't pay the deposit at the school that offered you a scholarship, you no longer have admittance (and so of course you no longer have the scholarship)... hence in theory, no longer being able to use it to negotiate

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:28 am

Use the other offers until the school you are negotiating with tells you to fuck off. You'll never see admissions people again, ever. Who cares.

TigerGrad15

New

Post by TigerGrad15 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:24 pm

I placed a deposit at the University I feel will give me the best opportunity for employment. However, I did not receive any aid. As such, I decided to remain on 3 of the waitlists that I was offered a spot on and have one decision pending. If I receive an offer from the pending school and/or one of the waitlisted schools (Certain I will gain admission to at least one) can I use those offers to negotiate aid despite having placed my first deposit? I sent an email to the admissions offer asking about their policy on remaining on waitlists and pending decisions but did not inquire about aid. Nonetheless, they are aware of my current indecisiveness.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:38 pm

TigerGrad15 wrote:I placed a deposit at the University I feel will give me the best opportunity for employment. However, I did not receive any aid. As such, I decided to remain on 3 of the waitlists that I was offered a spot on and have one decision pending. If I receive an offer from the pending school and/or one of the waitlisted schools (Certain I will gain admission to at least one) can I use those offers to negotiate aid despite having placed my first deposit? I sent an email to the admissions offer asking about their policy on remaining on waitlists and pending decisions but did not inquire about aid. Nonetheless, they are aware of my current indecisiveness.
Yes definitely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”