I'm f**ked. Help.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arbor49

I'm f**ked. Help.

Postby arbor49 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Last edited by arbor49 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Re: I'm fucked. Help.

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:39 pm

I don't know that there is much you can do other than calling the law school, explaining the situation, and asking.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Is there no way you can transfer credit to your UG by taking an online CC class or something? They might be willing to let you get creative given your situation

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Get in touch with your school ASAP. No one here can answer this in a vacuum. Hope everything works out.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:56 pm

I would think if the T20 won't let you sit for classes while your degree is pending they would just let you defer until the next year, but who knows. Just ask.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:05 pm

The main issue is the named scholarship. Try to get creative & take an online course. Regardless, you should talk to the law school to keep them informed & learn their position.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The main issue is the named scholarship. Try to get creative & take an online course. Regardless, you should talk to the law school to keep them informed & learn their position.

I don't think you're appreciating the OP's quandry. His problem isn't course credit. He's got enough credits to graduate. His problem is that he missed the filing deadline to petition his UG to graduate in May or June of 2015. [Edit: Just reread the OP and noticed that, no, he doesn't have enough credits. So I guess he's planning to take a course over the summer. That means the OP's climb is steeper than I thought.] Because his UG apparently only graduates people four times a year, the earliest he can graduate is in September, after law school will have started.

OP: I would start with your UG. Call the Registrar's Office and explain the situation. You may have already tried this, but try again. Complain/Appeal as high as you can go--the Registrar, the Vice Chancellor, whatever. Oh, and be polite. Acknowledge that the situation is of your own making.

If you're persistent enough (while remaining polite!), I bet you can take care of this at your UG institution. But if that fails, then go to your law school and explain the situation to them. Most law schools have pretty firm policies against enrolling students without confirmed bachelors degrees. You should at least try, though.

Good luck.

arbor49

Postby arbor49 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks for thoughts, all. Basically it's like this: I have 12 units of credit for my thesis pending. I need 5 units to graduate. I think the work I've done on my thesis (research etc.) is worthy of at least 5 units of credit. But I don't have a final draft of it done yet, so I don't think I can get a grade assigned to it in time to apply for graduation in the spring.

My other thought is, if I can only graduate at the end of summer, should I just defer and ask to keep the scholarship and not mention this as the reason why? Is it worth it to try to explain the situation to the T20 at the risk of them revoking my admission because I fucked up?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:36 pm

arbor49 wrote:Thanks for thoughts, all. Basically it's like this: I have 12 units of credit for my thesis pending. I need 5 units to graduate. I think the work I've done on my thesis (research etc.) is worthy of at least 5 units of credit. But I don't have a final draft of it done yet, so I don't think I can get a grade assigned to it in time to apply for graduation in the spring.

WHAT!?!?!? Finish your stupid thesis, dude. Like, finish it this week and get whatever sign-offs you need to add the five units as a class.

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:43 pm

rpupkin wrote:
arbor49 wrote:Thanks for thoughts, all. Basically it's like this: I have 12 units of credit for my thesis pending. I need 5 units to graduate. I think the work I've done on my thesis (research etc.) is worthy of at least 5 units of credit. But I don't have a final draft of it done yet, so I don't think I can get a grade assigned to it in time to apply for graduation in the spring.

WHAT!?!?!? Finish your stupid thesis, dude. Like, finish it this week and get whatever sign-offs you need to add the five units as a class.

This, order 5 pizzas and pull an all nighter, and get it turned in tomorrow. It doesn't even have to be good...

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:33 am

/facepalm

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:44 am

call your school and work hard.

if things don't work out for law school this august life will go on and you will be OK. remember that.

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:15 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:call your school and work hard.

if things don't work out for law school this august life will go on and you will be OK. remember that.

Nah. Give up. There's no way you're gonna recover from this.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:18 pm

Why can't you just turn in your paper on, like, Monday?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”