LOR overkilled?!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alexjinye

LOR overkilled?!!!

Postby alexjinye » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:39 am

I will apply to law schools this fall.
So, I just got my LOR uploaded by my professor and she nicely sent me the LOR copy through e-mail.

When I see the LOR, I was like "WOW....!" She wrote two full pages of great words about me with single space.. So, you could imagine what a massive letter it is.

I am just concerned that is it too much information for admission officers? Will they just give up reading from the beginning? At least, is it a good thing or bad thing to have my professor writing so much positive points about me?

fisheatbananas

Re: LOR overkilled?!!!

Postby fisheatbananas » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:14 am

It's a good thing, and even if the admissions officer can't be bothered to read all of it, it won't count against you.

I know many people do, but you're not actually supposed to see your LORs even after they were submitted. If I were you I'd just be happy that your teacher was so enthusiastic about you, but if you're really worried, try to pretend you never saw it and work on other parts of your application (grades if you're still in school, study for the LSAT, personal statement etc.)

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:40 am

I don't think that someone saying too many good things about you will ever be counted against you. You're in for a rough cycle if you're already over-thinking stuff like this. Just relax.

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:10 pm

LSATneurotic wrote:I don't think that someone saying too many good things about you will ever be counted against you. You're in for a rough cycle if you're already over-thinking stuff like this. Just relax.

+1

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:19 pm

LSATneurotic wrote:I don't think that someone saying too many good things about you will ever be counted against you. You're in for a rough cycle if you're already over-thinking stuff like this. Just relax.

And this is coming from Neurotic.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Rigo wrote:

And this is coming from Neurotic.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:26 pm

It's not an overkill, you are fine. You should see military letters of rec, the norm is about 3-4 pages. To get a faculty member to write 2 pages about you shines well for your application.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Depends upon how insightful the letter of recommendation is. In my view, quality over quantity, but quantity (which in your case is the equivalent of 4 double-spaced pages) apparently is tolerated well according to the above poster who is a former admissions officer.

P.S. A lengthy LOR can be irritating if it contains redundant material, in my opinion.

alexjinye

Postby alexjinye » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:31 pm

thx. I was just a bit concerned when I see the letter, since I have never seen my LORs before..
Oh and thx Spivey/Karen. Your response makes me even more relieved!

Seems like everything is on track. Going for another LOR next week :twisted: :twisted:

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:04 pm

alexjinye wrote:thx. I was just a bit concerned when I see the letter, since I have never seen my LORs before..
Oh and thx Spivey/Karen. Your response makes me even more relieved!

Seems like everything is on track. Going for another LOR next week :twisted: :twisted:

I think I'm going to write a blog on LOR in the near future, FYI. There is some understandable confusion about them each year.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:54 pm

fisheatbananas wrote:I know many people do, but you're not actually supposed to see your LORs even after they were submitted. If I were you I'd just be happy that your teacher was so enthusiastic about you, but if you're really worried, try to pretend you never saw it and work on other parts of your application (grades if you're still in school, study for the LSAT, personal statement etc.)

This is not true. You are permitted to see your LORs if the person who wrote them shows them to you.

qwertyTLS

Postby qwertyTLS » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
fisheatbananas wrote:I know many people do, but you're not actually supposed to see your LORs even after they were submitted. If I were you I'd just be happy that your teacher was so enthusiastic about you, but if you're really worried, try to pretend you never saw it and work on other parts of your application (grades if you're still in school, study for the LSAT, personal statement etc.)

This is not true. You are permitted to see your LORs if the person who wrote them shows them to you.

yeah i'm pretty sure you just give up the right to see them. but if the profs want to show you they can

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:02 am

qwertyTLS wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:

yeah i'm pretty sure you just give up the right to see them. but if the profs want to show you they can

Sorry I wasn't clear. You waive your right to see the LOR on LSAC or however you send them so in theory you're not permitted to see them. If the person who wrote it shows them to you then I guess it's their choice?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”