What's Better Loyola or Pepperdine Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ElSanto951

New

What's Better Loyola or Pepperdine

Post by ElSanto951 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:21 pm

I've seen a lot of flak thrown at Pepperdine but not so much at Loyola. I've been accepted to both schools; Pepperdine is giving me a 45K scholarship and Loyola is giving me a 113K scholarship. Ideally i want to practice in southern California post-graduation. I've been accepted to a couple of other schools but they're not in the LA. I know that the big two in the area are UCLA and USC but i don't plan on retaking the LSAT.

With all that said which school is better? I've looked up the stats and both schools have nearly equal post-grad job prospects however Pepperdine is ranked higher than Loyola. I'm not looking to get into a big law job. I'm more interested in doing Public Interest work for the communities in LA, namely the immigrant community.

So what do you guys think? I would really appreciate any of your sage advice. Thanks!
Last edited by ElSanto951 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pacman

New

Re: What's Better Loyola or Pepperdine

Post by Pacman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Which one is actually giving you more money? You put Pepperdine for both aid packages.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:37 pm

They're basically the same school. One is in Malibu though.

These schools don't place well, make sure whatever job you envision getting is, like, actually attainable (not in a technical way but a probabilistic way) and that you know how to attain it.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:They're basically the same school. One is in Malibu though.

These schools don't place well, make sure whatever job you envision getting is, like, actually attainable (not in a technical way but a probabilistic way) and that you know how to attain it.
Being employed as an attorney is barely probabilistic

ElSanto951

New

Post by ElSanto951 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Pacman wrote:Which one is actually giving you more money? You put Pepperdine for both aid packages.

Fixed. Yeah, Loyola is giving me enough to cover at least two years in tuition costs and maybe then some. Pepperdine is not even giving me enough for one year's worth.

If I were to go with Loyola, I got around 40k saved up. I plan to continue saving up till then. Factoring the cost of living and other miscellaneous expenses I think i'm looking at another 50k that wont be covered by the scholarship and my savings. Those estimate 50k i would take out a loan for. This is an optimistic breakdown.
Last edited by ElSanto951 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:56 pm

ElSanto951 wrote:I've seen a lot of flak thrown at Pepperdine but not so much at Loyola. I've been accepted to both schools; Pepperdine is giving me a 45K scholarship and Loyola is giving me a 113K scholarship. Ideally i want to practice in southern California post-graduation. I've been accepted to a couple of other schools but they're not in the LA. I know that the big two in the area are UCLA and USC but i don't plan on retaking the LSAT.

With all that said which school is better? I've looked up the stats and both schools have nearly equal post-grad job prospects however Pepperdine is ranked higher than Loyola. I'm not looking to get into a big law job. I'm more interested in doing Public Interest work for the communities in LA, namely the immigrant community.

So what do you guys think? I would really appreciate any of your sage advice. Thanks!
If you really want to focus on that, I recommend looking at clinical options then. I know that's not a traditional outlook on TLS, but if public interest is so big to you then see what clinic chances you'd have at each school and how well each school places in more public interest-y jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”