Most unicorn career aspiration?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Moneytrees

Re: Most unicorn career intention?

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:46 am

What's funny is that my firm actually handles quite a bit of litigation related to art. I've had the chance to meet some famous fine art and graphic designers. It's really interesting work but essentially an impossible field to go into right out of law school.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:51 am

Human rights attorney. Irrelevant area of law with virtually no job openings. Probably more people get hired as SCOTUS clerks every year than full-time human rights attorneys are hired.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:57 am

wildhaggis wrote:This should be a fun thread. Take your pick:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167836

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=138432

Of course, "international law" is the classic, but in all seriousness, "sports law" and "entertainment law" seemed to get thrown around a lot when I was in law school, and with alarming sincerity. Sure, people do this kind of work, but it is in no way a plausible career choice the prospect of which would make law school actually worth attending. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority simply have no fucking idea what "sports law" or "entertainment law" actually entail. I think these two fit the "unicorn" definition pretty well, in that there is a not-insignificant number of individuals who actually believe they are accessible.

Then there was the dipshit who told me he went to law school to practice "gun law."

...Yeah, the writing has been on the wall for this profession for a while.

Except there is actually money to be made in Entertainment and Sports law. And seriously, there really are like no human rights law positions (FT, LT) every year. Let me also specify: I mean working for BIG-None-Profit (Red Cross, Amnesty International), Government Agency (State Department), or U.N./Hague type deal. I am not including every single none-profit with a shoe string budget who promotes human rights causes.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:37 pm

wildhaggis wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
wildhaggis wrote:
Then there was the dipshit who told me he went to law school to practice "gun law."

Actually, I know a girl (who is a shitlib) who interviewed for a firm doing gun stuff. From what I gather, it's about regulatory compliance and licensing mostly.

I have a dream of a dream of doing that kind of regulatory work for alcohol producers, distributors, and bars, but don't know any way forward. Want to do what I love, you know?

I'd imagine microbreweries (or craft breweries, I guess, since many microbreweries aren't very "micro" anymore) actually need a great deal of pretty basic formation, transactional, and regulatory work. These types of brewing businesses have spread like wildfire in the past 10 years. Who knows...Now that I think about it, I guess I'm surprised I haven't heard more about this kind of thing. The same will be (or probably already is) true for dispensaries.

BigWeed???

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Postby FSK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:44 pm

wildhaggis wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
wildhaggis wrote:

Actually, I know a girl (who is a shitlib) who interviewed for a firm doing gun stuff. From what I gather, it's about regulatory compliance and licensing mostly.

I have a dream of a dream of doing that kind of regulatory work for alcohol producers, distributors, and bars, but don't know any way forward. Want to do what I love, you know?

I'd imagine microbreweries (or craft breweries, I guess, since many microbreweries aren't very "micro" anymore) actually need a great deal of pretty basic formation, transactional, and regulatory work. These types of brewing businesses have spread like wildfire in the past 10 years. Who knows...Now that I think about it, I guess I'm surprised I haven't heard more about this kind of thing. The same will be (or probably already is) true for dispensaries.

I know someone who's starting at a V30 in their alcohol & beverage regulatory group straight out of law school. It happens! The firm is a lobbying powerhouse though (which is a big hint to what firm it is).

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:27 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
wildhaggis wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
wildhaggis wrote:

I know someone who's starting at a V30 in their alcohol & beverage regulatory group straight out of law school. It happens! The firm is a lobbying powerhouse though (which is a big hint to what firm it is).

I don't think the point is that unicorns don't happen (there is obviously a POTUS and SCOTUS). Landing Unicorn jobs is exceedingly rare and difficult; it's hard to rely on that kind of anecdotal evidence. That being said, I actually have no idea if alcohol and beverage is hard to get in to. I'm just not convinced by one individual's story.

Nomo

Re: Most unicorn career aspiration?

Postby Nomo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:43 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:Wait...you mean I can't become the biggest film agent in Hollywood even if I get a JD/MBA from Michigan?????

No, but you can become a pretty good if you join the football or basketball team while you're in school. What's your 40 time? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Pelinka

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:52 pm

Nomo wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:Wait...you mean I can't become the biggest film agent in Hollywood even if I get a JD/MBA from Michigan?????

No, but you can become a pretty good if you join the football or basketball team while you're in school. What's your 40 time? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Pelinka

o shit didnt know he was a michigan guy

science burner

Postby science burner » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Solicitor general- more or less unicorn than SCOTUS?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:40 pm

I just want to be a respected member of my community . . . :(

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:42 pm

science burner wrote:Solicitor general- more or less unicorn than SCOTUS?

There have been 46 since like the civil war.

Definitely more unicorn.

usernotfound

Postby usernotfound » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:28 am

BIG Secretary General of the UN

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 am

Biglaw partner vs. judge (any third branch...but not alj)

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:01 am

Is it really that hard or prestigious to be a city/county/truancy judge?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 am

starry eyed wrote:Is it really that hard or prestigious to be a city/county/truancy judge?

Prestigious and hard? Yeah man. It doesn't take the extreme lucky connections as a federal judge, but it's not like they are handing out judgeships. What non-rainmaker litigation attorney wouldn't rather be on the bench?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:55 am

AreJay711 wrote:
starry eyed wrote:Is it really that hard or prestigious to be a city/county/truancy judge?

Prestigious and hard? Yeah man. It doesn't take the extreme lucky connections as a federal judge, but it's not like they are handing out judgeships. What non-rainmaker litigation attorney wouldn't rather be on the bench?

One of my classmates got a gig as county judge the fall after graduation - it was a county of 3000 people and a part-time gig that paid about $20k, I think. So there are judges and there are judges.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:04 pm

i read that in upstate New York the magistrates are part time and are mostly plumbers etc. by trade.

Here's a relevant article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/25/nyreg ... d=all&_r=0

i know what my backup plan is now

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:24 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Human rights attorney. Irrelevant area of law with virtually no job openings. Probably more people get hired as SCOTUS clerks every year than full-time human rights attorneys are hired.

no

adil91

Postby adil91 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Speaking of unicorn career aspirations. How delusional would someone have to be to enroll in this program?
http://www.stjohns.edu/law/programs-and ... actice-llm

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Human rights attorney. Irrelevant area of law with virtually no job openings. Probably more people get hired as SCOTUS clerks every year than full-time human rights attorneys are hired.

The most frequent way in is as a volunteer attorney, which requires being a trust fund baby or waiting tables at night to earn money. I don't think 'entry level' exists anymore for the most part. Coming on as an EJW fellow is the closest to that.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:24 am

arklaw13 wrote:POTUS

+1

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:35 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:

+1

transgender atheist POTUS followed by SCOTUS career

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:57 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:

+1

transgender atheist POTUS followed by SCOTUS career

I desperately want this to be a disturbingly educational Taft reference.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”