Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

UCLA or USC?

USC
5
25%
UCLA
15
75%
 
Total votes: 20

seansj1
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby seansj1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:45 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm about a week away from choosing a law school and I am having a difficult time deciding.
My best options as of now are UCLA (full tuition scholarship), USC (full tuition scholarship), Harvard (sticker), and Duke ($81k scholarship).
As of right now, I am leaning toward taking the scholarship from either UCLA or USC given that I live in California and want to continue living and working in California after I graduate. From what I hear, graduates of both schools have little difficulty getting a big law job if the graduate in the top third to half of their class. Not quite the same job prospects as Harvard, but probably worth the tradeoff in my opinion. Duke is pretty much out of the question at this point unless they increase their scholarship offer.
My main question is: has anyone asked a school around the level of UCLA/USC for a scholarship offer increase beyond full tuition, or would that just be seen as rude/asking for too much? I currently go to UCLA, but I have a lot of reasons to choose either school and right now I am not really leaning one way or the other. A slight scholarship increase from one of the schools (to cover books or partially cover living expenses) might help sway me in that direction if visiting the schools this weekend does not make the right choice clearer. If it makes a difference, UCLA gave me the full scholarship early on, whereas USC increased their initial offer of $120k. Any thoughts?
I also included a poll if anyone feels strongly about UCLA vs. USC. Thanks!

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:46 pm

It's worth a try. There's nothing to lose.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby chuckbass » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:52 pm

Also maybe see if you can get more money from Duke possibly. The new numbers have them at over 70% biglaw/fed clerk for c/o14. Obviously they're not the best school for CA but your odds of a good outcome are much better and possibly worth the money.

User avatar
bearsfan23
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby bearsfan23 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:57 pm

You can always ask, they're not going to rescind your acceptance. I'd try to figure out a way to word it other than "if you don't pay me to attend your school I'm not going" though.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 am

You need to ask ALL SCHOOLS to give you more money, especially Duke. Even ask Harvard. Beg them. Tell you got money at UCLA. Do this. Don't let them play games.

blackacre10
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby blackacre10 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:47 am

how much more are you looking for? i had a full ride to UCLA and was also offered health insurance (~$3000 per year). are you looking for a living stipend as well? i don't think i've ever heard of UCLA giving a living stipend, though it won't hurt to ask...

seansj1
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby seansj1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:50 am

Good to know. I wasn't gonna bring up any figure in particular. I'm hoping for enough to cover the cost of books, but I'm thinking I should keep it vague and hopefully end up with more than that (if anything). Did you have to ask for your health insurance costs to be covered or was that done without any negotiating?

User avatar
bearsfan23
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:07 am

sparty99 wrote:You need to ask ALL SCHOOLS to give you more money, especially Duke. Even ask Harvard. Beg them. Tell you got money at UCLA. Do this. Don't let them play games.


I don't know if this is a serious post but Harvard will give zero fucks about any sort of scholarship from UCLA.

Definitely negotiate as much as you can with USC, UCLA, Duke, etc. I remember having a lot of success getting UCLA to keep upping their aid Fwiw

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:19 am

Speaking to you as an extremely debt adverse person: If you really want big law, I'd probably take the Duke or Harvard offer. Seriously see if Duke will give you more money. USC/UCLA for free is a great choice. But your chances for big law go way higher in the T-14.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:22 am

bearsfan23 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:You need to ask ALL SCHOOLS to give you more money, especially Duke. Even ask Harvard. Beg them. Tell you got money at UCLA. Do this. Don't let them play games.


I don't know if this is a serious post but Harvard will give zero fucks about any sort of scholarship from UCLA.

Definitely negotiate as much as you can with USC, UCLA, Duke, etc. I remember having a lot of success getting UCLA to keep upping their aid Fwiw


I don't give a fuck that Harvard might give zero fucks. I'm still fucking asking. And if they say no, I'm asking again a week before the first deposit is required. If you deposit at Duke, you also need to ask for money all the way up to enrollment.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:24 am

sparty99 wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:You need to ask ALL SCHOOLS to give you more money, especially Duke. Even ask Harvard. Beg them. Tell you got money at UCLA. Do this. Don't let them play games.


I don't know if this is a serious post but Harvard will give zero fucks about any sort of scholarship from UCLA.

Definitely negotiate as much as you can with USC, UCLA, Duke, etc. I remember having a lot of success getting UCLA to keep upping their aid Fwiw


I don't give a fuck that Harvard might give zero fucks. I'm still fucking asking. And if they say no, I'm asking again a week before the first deposit is required. If you deposit at Duke, you also need to ask for money all the way up to enrollment.

I doubt they would consider it, but why not.
Agreed with the part about asking for money all the way up to enrollment. Hell, I was negotiating through June and didn't make my final decision [with a negotiated offer that I found adequate] until almost July.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:42 am

Harvard literally doesn't do merit aid, stop acting ridiculous to prove a point.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:44 am

Also, I'm liking duke or Harvard here if you're biglaw or bust

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 am

Clearly wrote:Harvard literally doesn't do merit aid, stop acting ridiculous to prove a point.


They offer need based aid. And I'm asking.......cause it takes 5 minutes to send an email.

seansj1
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby seansj1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:52 am

Not biglaw or bust. Just hoping to work for a big firm for the next few years after graduation before ideally moving on to something else. I have talked to several recent graduates of both UCLA and USC, and they have had no problem finding the level of job I hope for immediately after (and generally prior to) graduation. Not that I don't appreciate everyone's input, but I've gotten the impression from the people closest to my position that going to a top 5 or 10 school won't make a significant difference for someone like me who strongly wants to stay in California.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 am

seansj1 wrote:Not biglaw or bust. Just hoping to work for a big firm for the next few years after graduation before ideally moving on to something else. I have talked to several recent graduates of both UCLA and USC, and they have had no problem finding the level of job I hope for immediately after (and generally prior to) graduation. Not that I don't appreciate everyone's input, but I've gotten the impression from the people closest to my position that going to a top 5 or 10 school won't make a significant difference for someone like me who strongly wants to stay in California.

Were those people chosen at random by you, or of their own accord (not likely to be around/amenable to conversation if dissatisfied) or by the school (guaranteed to be chosen success stories). The data doesn't lie and does show UCLA/USC not placing as well into biglaw (although not terribly) and I also question the amount of people who could have gotten cali at OCI but opted for riskier bidding strategies driving down that number.

seansj1
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby seansj1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:19 am

A combination of randomly selected people at events and on forums for the most part, along with stuff I've heard from friends, friends of friends, etc. I really haven't gotten much information from the schools themselves regarding employment. I have a lot of research to do before I actually make a decision.

Fred Norris
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby Fred Norris » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:22 am

sparty99 wrote:
Clearly wrote:Harvard literally doesn't do merit aid, stop acting ridiculous to prove a point.


They offer need based aid. And I'm asking.......cause it takes 5 minutes to send an email.



Perhaps you should also ask Nicki Minaj out on a date and ask President Obama to replace Biden with you as VP.

Your sense of entitlement is out of this world.

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 am

I would strongly consider Duke over UCLA/USC for biglaw purposes. Don't be dissuaded by Duke's low CA placement numbers . . . a lot of that has to do with self selection.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:17 am

Also, if you're literally just trying to get the cost of books covered by UCLA/USC, you do realize that these aren't very expensive right?

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10685
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:59 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Also, if you're literally just trying to get the cost of books covered by UCLA/USC, you do realize that these aren't very expensive right?


Comparatively it's nothing, but then next to law school tuition so is a decent used car. Adds up to a couple grand, all told. Not that OP'll get it, but again: can't hurt to ask unless you literally can't handle being told 'no.'

seansj1
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby seansj1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm getting the impression that most of you think Duke with my current scholarship offer (and I'm expecting at least a small increase in the next week or two) is a better option than Harvard with no money (I'm not gonna get need based aid). Is that true?
And yes I realize how relatively insignificant the cost of books will be, but I'll take anything they'll give me. I didn't specifically ask just for book money (not that I'm expecting anything regardless).

lumpkin
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby lumpkin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:25 pm

uh go to harvard. i can tell u for a fact that ucla will not give you more. plus if robert whatever is still the dean of admissions there, shoot that guy.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:28 pm

Fred Norris wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Clearly wrote:Harvard literally doesn't do merit aid, stop acting ridiculous to prove a point.


They offer need based aid. And I'm asking.......cause it takes 5 minutes to send an email.



Perhaps you should also ask Nicki Minaj out on a date and ask President Obama to replace Biden with you as VP.

Your sense of entitlement is out of this world.


Yeah, asking for money so I'm not in debt is a huge entitelemnt problem. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Is it acceptable to ask a T-20 school to add to a full ride?

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:31 pm

seansj1 wrote:I'm getting the impression that most of you think Duke with my current scholarship offer (and I'm expecting at least a small increase in the next week or two) is a better option than Harvard with no money (I'm not gonna get need based aid). Is that true?
And yes I realize how relatively insignificant the cost of books will be, but I'll take anything they'll give me. I didn't specifically ask just for book money (not that I'm expecting anything regardless).


Did you apply to other schools? I mean, UCLA is a good option, but you would have to finish Top 30% to get Big Law. Can you apply to outside scholarships? Like apply to a lot! You can use your law school essays. You are obviously smart if you got into Harvard. I would consider Harvard despite the cost. You could finish below median and still get Big Law.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cavalier1138 and 5 guests