Going to a T14 school vs any other school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sam524

Going to a T14 school vs any other school

Postby sam524 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Is going to just about any T14 law school a good way of entering BigLaw?

Also, after BigLaw, what kind of opportunities are there? I know most people opt out of that as quickly as possible. But doesn't the pay decrease dramatically? Or do many people after biglaw go unemployed.

Capitol_Idea

Re: Going to a T14 school vs any other school

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 pm

sam524 wrote:Is going to just about any T14 law school a good way of entering BigLaw?

Also, after BigLaw, what kind of opportunities are there? I know most people opt out of that as quickly as possible. But doesn't the pay decrease dramatically? Or do many people after biglaw go unemployed.

Sure! There's a great resource for finding answers if you're willing to do some reading/research:

See, e.g., this site.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 pm

sam524 wrote:Is going to just about any T14 law school a good way of entering BigLaw?

Some T14 schools send less than half into Biglaw. As far as exit options, they run the gamut from prestigious midlaw boutiques, to in-house counsel, to FedGov, to traffic ticket defense, to doc review. Very few people make partner, so in any given year there's almost as many people exiting Biglaw as there are entering it. So you're competing with about 5000 other attorneys each year with Biglaw on their resume for the exit options out there. There's not as many good exit options as there are people leaving Biglaw, so some people end up falling flat. I have no idea what the percentage is, as there's no good data on this.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:04 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”