Study Abroad LSAC GPA question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Joombi

Study Abroad LSAC GPA question

Postby Joombi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:05 pm

I've been trying to find an answer to my question online, but I've come across a few different opinions. I'm currently studying and I'm wondering if these grades will impact my LSAC GPA. My home institution will report these grades as P/F and not factor them into my school GPA; the law schools can ask for the DIS transcripts if they want them.

Will the grades factor into my LSAC GPA?
Last edited by Joombi on Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

strugglebus

Re: Study Abroad LSAC GPA question

Postby strugglebus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:29 pm

It looks like you have to send the DIS transcripts because it falls under an institution "clearly sponsoring your overseas study."

http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... ranscripts
LSAC wrote:Required Transcripts
Law schools require you to send all transcripts from the following institutions you may have attended:
  • community colleges
  • undergraduate and graduate institutions
  • law/medical/professional institutions
  • institutions attended for summer or evening courses
  • institutions attended even though a degree was never received
  • institutions from which you took college-level courses while in high school even though they were for high school credit
    • institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study. Clear sponsorship means
    • the courses received the sponsoring institution's academic credit (not transfer credit)
    • the course codes, titles, credits earned, and grades appear on the sponsoring institution's transcript. Typically, these grades and credits are included in the sponsoring institution's cumulative GPA. The courses are often administered and taught by the sponsoring institution's faculty at an overseas institution.
  • international transcripts, if applicable

ETA: If you have to send the transcripts and they have grades, they'll count toward your LSAC GPA.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:36 pm

As with nearly all "will this weird thing count toward my transcript" questions, your best bet is just to ask LSAC directly.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:13 pm

I think that you need to supply the Danish school transcript since your UG school did not sponsor the program. But, as posted above, LSDAS is the best source.

Joombi

Postby Joombi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:44 pm

strugglebus wrote:It looks like you have to send the DIS transcripts because it falls under an institution "clearly sponsoring your overseas study."

http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... ranscripts
LSAC wrote:Required Transcripts
Law schools require you to send all transcripts from the following institutions you may have attended:
  • community colleges
  • undergraduate and graduate institutions
  • law/medical/professional institutions
  • institutions attended for summer or evening courses
  • institutions attended even though a degree was never received
  • institutions from which you took college-level courses while in high school even though they were for high school credit
    • institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study. Clear sponsorship means
    • the courses received the sponsoring institution's academic credit (not transfer credit)
    • the course codes, titles, credits earned, and grades appear on the sponsoring institution's transcript. Typically, these grades and credits are included in the sponsoring institution's cumulative GPA. The courses are often administered and taught by the sponsoring institution's faculty at an overseas institution.
  • international transcripts, if applicable

ETA: If you have to send the transcripts and they have grades, they'll count toward your LSAC GPA.

Is being required to send a transcript the functional equivalent of having it count towards LSAC GPA? Because some of the required transcripts on that list don't get factored, right? (Specifically, the law/medical/professional institutions transcript - I was under the impression that these were sent, but not calculated). Also, re: sponsorship, the second bulletpoint regarding overseas faculty, cumulative GPA, etc., aren't compatible with the program - hopefully this means it won't be sponsored? I'm not sure.

malleus discentium wrote:As with nearly all "will this weird thing count toward my transcript" questions, your best bet is just to ask LSAC directly.

Did not know this was an option, thanks! Doing this right now.
Last edited by Joombi on Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Joombi wrote:Is being required to send a transcript the functional equivalent of having it count towards LSAC GPA? Because some of the required transcripts on that list don't get factored, right? (Specifically, the law/medical/professional institutions transcript - I was under the impression that these were sent, but not calculated).

Study abroad that happens before you get your UG degree counts. The ones you listed don't get converted b/c they all happen after your first UG degree.

Joombi

Postby Joombi » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:36 am

LSAC replied to my inquiry; the grades won't count towards my LSDAS GPA. For anyone else studying abroad with similar questions, here is their response:

LSAC wrote:If the total amount of credit received is less than the equivalent of a calendar year of work in the US, the transcript is not required but you may still have it submitted if you’d like to. It would be included with your law school report as a courtesy, but not factored into your LSDAS GPA.

If the amount of credit is the equivalent or more than a calendar year of work in US, the transcript would be required and evaluated by the foreign evaluation service once processed by LSAC. The foreign evaluation is a separate evaluation from the academic summary report, and would also not be factored into your LSDAS GPA.

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:16 am

Would be nice if they'd put that info on their website. Wouldn't have submitted my study abroad grades if I'd known that but mine were very clearly sponsored.

Was the response DIS-specific or did it seem like they were talking about study abroad programs in general?

smiles123

Postby smiles123 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:32 am

[quote="LSAC"]If the total amount of credit received is less than the equivalent of a calendar year of work in the US, the transcript is not required but you may still have it submitted if you’d like to. It would be included with your law school report as a courtesy, but not factored into your LSDAS GPA.

If the amount of credit is the equivalent or more than a calendar year of work in US, the transcript would be required and evaluated by the foreign evaluation service once processed by LSAC. The foreign evaluation is a separate evaluation from the academic summary report, and would also not be factored into your LSDAS GPA.[/quote][/quote]

^I'm pretty sure this was on the website back in October when I applied...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”