WL'd student day

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MikeSpivey

WL'd student day

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:05 pm

I recently found out Notre Dame has one of these. It is an interested notion that I don't believe I ever even considered when I was in admissions.

The biggest pro is what a yield indicator. If they come and show interest you would really want to know about that.

The biggest con is that most people on your WL range between fervent and fanatical. Fervent about your school is good, fantastical scares the hell out of you. I'm curious how many of the latter you would get and how you would be able to pull-up the drawbridge.

Anyway, does anyone know of any other schools that do these? I will compile this.

Thanks!

Mike

TheSpanishMain

Re: WL'd student day

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:56 pm

I haven't heard of this, but I'd love to hear some stories about fanatical WLd applicants.

jphiggo

Postby jphiggo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:00 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I haven't heard of this, but I'd love to hear some stories about fanatical WLd applicants.

Agreed, there definitely has to be some interesting stories. I am not sure how helpful it could really be. Not every waitlisted student that really wants to attend can afford to show up just so that the admissions office knows they are serious. LOCI + phone screener seems to be more reasonable than hosting a day where you encourage folks to get their hopes really high before smashing them via e-mail a few weeks later.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Not a waitlist day, but I believe that Cornell has been very receptive to individual visits from their reserve list.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:21 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I haven't heard of this, but I'd love to hear some stories about fanatical WLd applicants.

ya must be pretty awkward

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Who pays for the prospective students to attend? Seems pretty shitty to gauge people's interest via a WL'd student day when the burden of getting there is going to be radically different for some dude cruising to the end of their college career on their parents' dime and somebody whose working somewhere far away to make ends meet.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:44 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Who pays for the prospective students to attend? Seems pretty shitty to gauge people's interest via a WL'd student day when the burden of getting there is going to be radically different for some dude cruising to the end of their college career on their parents' dime and somebody whose working somewhere far away to make ends meet.

true, but how about the people who get to visit early admissions cycle and then are admitted and their visit was recorded as a strong yield protection metric, and/or they got to meet with admissions people?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Someone who had been kicked off of an Olympic team said they would get on a place and kick my ass if I didn't admit them.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:48 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Someone who had been kicked off of an Olympic team said they would get on a plane and kick my ass if I didn't admit them.

Wait... threatening AdComs is a bad idea? :shock:

Oh boy, I've got some apology emails to write.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:16 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Someone who had been kicked off of an Olympic team said they would get on a place and kick my ass if I didn't admit them.

Lol

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:38 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Did it work?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:14 pm

pamphleteer wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Did it work?

No, she didn't get admitted.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Updating my own list, Emory has one too. So that makes:

Notre Dame
Emory

Any others?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”