Considering Quitting TFA After Year One/Affect Admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dksockies

Considering Quitting TFA After Year One/Affect Admissions?

Postby dksockies » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:13 pm

Hey all,

I've seen the other TFA posts and I know it comes down to what the situation was so here it is.

I signed up for TFA and am currently a CM. After the end of this school year, I'm considering quitting and just applying straight to law school (which was what I had intended even before TFA was a thought in my mind). The only reason I'm considering not staying the second year is because of the administration (zero support for staff of color) in addition to the fact that I was hired as an in-house substitute (which was stated to me the first day of Professional Development, and not during the hiring fair, in my contract offer or within the four months that I knew I was placed at this school prior to the school year) and not as a homeroom teacher. Additionally, my mental health has been affected due to the nature in which I've been treated at the school (please I know this is an easy target, but don't be hurtful), and I've been seeking professional help.

I've talked to TFA staff as well as my professors and they've been supportive in my decision to leave.

Given all of this, will it be detrimental to my application if I include my work experience (and not necessarily that it was through TFA), keep TFA on my resume and write an addendum, or is it "worth it" to stay at a school that constantly dehumanizes its staff of color, for the "boost" in the application?

ALL THIS TO SAY that I love my kids, and the only reason I'm staying until the end of the year is because I don't want to leave them - despite the fact that I'm their substitute teacher and not their "real" teacher.

TL;DR Do I stay or do I go? And if I go, do I add it or keep it off?

Mack.Hambleton

Re: Considering Quitting TFA After Year One/Affect Admissions?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:23 pm

If it's affecting your mental health and not what you signed up for GTFO. Lots of people leave TFA before their two years because it sucks in general and I doubt it will have any impact in admissions. If it does come up in an interview you can just explain why you left.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:50 am

Seems like this TFA assignment is not a good match. Might be best to move on. Shouldn't affect law school admissions if you explain your dissatisfaction in a less accusatory manner & more as a poor fit.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:38 am

Info on stats/where you want to go to law school?

dksockies

Postby dksockies » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:07 pm

I have a 3.2 from Berkeley (does the school matter much?) and I'm planning on taking the LSAT this October. I'd like to go back to Berkeley for law because I want to work in Civil Rights Law, but if I got into any of the T14, I'd be ecstatic with any of those too.

[EDIT] I do have an upward grade trend, and this GPA doesn't include my junior college GPA which I hear is also separate but still included.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:09 pm

PM'd your response.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:13 pm

regardless of your lsat score berk is probably not going to happen with that GPA, just so you don't get your hopes up.

hillz

Postby hillz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 am

Your mental health is worth more than that, so I would get out. I would also keep it on my resume, otherwise there's going to be a gap of over a year that may look odd to Ad Comms. I don't think you need to write an addendum. If you're asked about it, just explain in a professional way that it wasn't a good fit for you.

If I were you, I would start looking for another job (maybe still in a nonprofit/ed type field, if possible). It will give you more depth and you'll have something to talk about during your admissions interviews.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:23 am

I don't see it being an issue at all. I know many TFAers (S/O included) and am familiar with the extreme emotional duress it places on its participants. Quit, score high on the LSAT and you'll be fine.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:52 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:35 pm

If your mental health is an issue, I'd hold off on attending law school until you're ready to deal with all the law school stress/bullshit.

Also, why do you think the administration is specifically shitty towards people of color as opposed to shitty in general? I'm not saying you're wrong or lying obviously, just curious.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:29 pm

It is my understanding that you are employed by the school itself right? Why even mention that you got hired through TFA?

omd3117

Postby omd3117 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:39 pm

post removed
Last edited by omd3117 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneezus

Postby sneezus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:59 pm

hey OP,

it shouldn't harm you at all. I am also a 1st year CM right now. fortunately i realized at the beginning of the year that this was a shit program, and i was able to get my apps in this cycle (i took the LSAT during undergrad). i've had a nice cycle, nabbed good money in the T14 as well as CCN admission. in other words, I have performed about as well as my numbers predicted i would.

the only schools that asked about the TFA thing also admitted me. get out, move forward with no regrets/guilt.

dksockies

Postby dksockies » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi all,

I appreciate all of the responses/advice/feedback I've received. This has been incredibly helpful in my decision - thank you!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”