Applying with incomplete GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DKM

Applying with incomplete GPA

Postby DKM » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:27 pm

I'm currently finishing up my junior year in undergrad, and if all goes to plan I'll end this semester with a cumulative LSDAS GPA (according to online calculators) of 3.63. That's okay, but I also figured out that if I continue to pull all A's I can get that up to 3.71 by the time I graduate. That shouldn't be a problem since most of the classes that I have to take are free electives. So if I apply for Law School this coming fall, how does that work if you still need to finish school? Do they take the 3.63 and then I update for them throughout the year or what? Seems kinda off considering I won't have a final GPA until May or so, way after acceptances and all that stuff go out.

k5220

Re: Applying with incomplete GPA

Postby k5220 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:54 pm

Schools will look at your GPA when you apply, and will probably consider your application before your senior year Fall grades come out. A big upswing in GPA might help if your application ends up being held or you get waitlisted, but it will probably go unseen.

Sitting out a year and working might be a good idea.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Thats a pretty big swing in one year, but definitely give it a shot

I just went through this app cycle with a gpa very close to yours. I do think having a 3.7 would've made a difference in terms of getting $$$ at schools like cornell and duke that target around a 3.7 median

DKM

Postby DKM » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Clemenceau wrote:Thats a pretty big swing in one year, but definitely give it a shot

I just went through this app cycle with a gpa very close to yours. I do think having a 3.7 would've made a difference in terms of getting $$$ at schools like cornell and duke that target around a 3.7 median

But when you applied, were you already done with college?

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:21 pm

DKM wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Thats a pretty big swing in one year, but definitely give it a shot

But when you applied, were you already done with college?

Well yeah. The implied moral of my story was that you should take a year off

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:57 am

All k-JD's apply with "incomplete" GPA's. It's normal and acceptable.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”