LLM at Gtown or wait till next year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should i pay for the LLM at GT, ride the waitlist at UBC or wait another year?

Go to GT
67%
Ride the Waitlist at UCB
17%
Wait till next year
No votes
Don't do anything lol
17%

Total votes: 6

dominicanguy12

LLM at Gtown or wait till next year?

Postby dominicanguy12 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Last edited by dominicanguy12 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: LLM at Gtown or wait till next year?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:48 pm

To clarify, are you seeking an LLM in comparative law ? Also, is your law firm in the Dominican Republic affiliated with any firm outside of your country ? Why do you need an LLM degree to be promoted ?

dominicanguy12

Postby dominicanguy12 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Last edited by dominicanguy12 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Georgetown's tax LLM program is one of the two most prestigious in the country (NYU being the other). My impression is that an LLM from Georgetown is well respected among foreign law graduates & that the program has a large number of students, therefore, I'm confused as to why you think that it offers less networking opportunities.

dominicanguy12

Postby dominicanguy12 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Georgetown's tax LLM program is one of the two most prestigious in the country (NYU being the other). My impression is that an LLM from Georgetown is well respected among foreign law graduates & that the program has a large number of students, therefore, I'm confused as to why you think that it offers less networking opportunities.

I know that GT offers great networking opportunities, which is basically why I am enrolling there. My reservation with GT is that my father would be paying 85k for a school that is not nearly as respected or well-ranked as UCB or other better ranked T-14s for that matter.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:08 pm

In my opinion, foreign law grads seeking an LLM in the US should focus on Wash. D.C. & New York City in order to maximize networking opportunities; Berkeley seems to be an odd choice for one in your situation.

dominicanguy12

Postby dominicanguy12 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:In my opinion, foreign law grads seeking an LLM in the US should focus on Wash. D.C. & New York City in order to maximize networking opportunities; Berkeley seems to be an odd choice for one in your situation.

I agree with you with respect to the cities. I am just very apprehensive of using my only shot at a Master's on a school that is not necessarily as well regarded as others I could get into, and also considering I would be paying sticker price. Oh well, it seems going to GT is better than waiting another year.

Oh, and another thing. In my country UCB would be looked at as much more prestigious than GT because there are already many people here with degrees from GT and basically none from UCB.

dominicanguy12

Postby dominicanguy12 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:12 pm

If anyone else could give me their input I would really appreciate it.

Everyone here is so hateful towards GULC, I feel so bad making my dad pay so much for an LLM there.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:17 pm

I say go, you have a job lined up and a good reason to attend.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:20 pm

dominicanguy12 wrote:If anyone else could give me their input I would really appreciate it.

Everyone here is so hateful towards GULC, I feel so bad making my dad pay so much for an LLM there.

Eh. Its not really the same as JD admissions. I am confused, however, by your current goals. Do you want to work in New York/DC or return to DR? The LLM market in the U.S. is tight right now, even for qualified attorneys. If you want to work in the states, it might be worth it to wait another year and take a stab at Columbia or Harvard's program. If this is primarily to return to the DR for a promotion, Georgetown will do as well as any other premier american university AFAIK.

dominicanguy12

Postby dominicanguy12 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:43 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”