Why is Political Science considered pre-law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
starry eyed

Re: Why is Political Science considered pre-law?

Postby starry eyed » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 am

it's easy to market a poli sci degree.. in interviews, just emphasize your reading and writing experience and highlight how that separates you from the STEM weirdos.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:57 am

starry eyed wrote:it's easy to market a poli sci degree.. in interviews, just emphasize your reading and writing experience and highlight how that separates you from the STEM weirdos.

That's what every liberal arts major does though. Reading and writing isn't peculiar to poli sci; in fact, English or philosophy would seem much better choices if the goal is to develop those skills.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:02 am

RZ5646 wrote:That and they're not smart enough to do philosophy, the best prelaw major.

.... philosophy is a joke major, bro. Even poli sci kids are more employable than philosophy kids.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:02 am

Have you ever sat in a political science class? All the kids think that since they have an opinion, it must be right.. Most also had no social skills.. Law school is perfect for the majority of them.

Calling it political science is more than a stretch. I could see it being called Bachelor of Politics or Bachelor of Political Philosphy.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 am

bjsesq wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:That and they're not smart enough to do philosophy, the best prelaw major.

.... philosophy is a joke major, bro. Even poli sci kids are more employable than philosophy kids.

I don't know about that. It depends on what you are trying to do. I was a double major- history and philosophy. All the reading that I did for philosophy really helped me during my LSAT prep. Also, during my job interviews, it was really easy to talk about my philosophy major. I would tell employers I enjoyed breaking down complex arguments, that my philosophy classes taught me how to "think more effectively", etc. If they wanted something more specific, I would just name a few philosophy books by Kant or Nietzsche that I liked, and usually they would seem impressed. I had no problem landing a paralegal job about 1 month after I graduated. Granted, I had a pretty good GPA, so that probably helped.

The problem is that philosophy (or any liberal arts major really) is that is will most likely cut you out of good fields like finance. Unless you have something like a 3.8, it's hard to crack into a hedge fund or similar type of job. But you probably wouldn't have picked a liberal arts major if you wanted to go into finance or engineering.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:44 am

Moneytrees wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I don't know about that. It depends on what you are trying to do. I was a double major- history and philosophy. All the reading that I did for philosophy really helped me during my LSAT prep. Also, during my job interviews, it was really easy to talk about my philosophy major. I would tell employers I enjoyed breaking down complex arguments, that my philosophy classes taught me how to "think more effectively", etc. If they wanted something more specific, I would just name a few philosophy books by Kant or Nietzsche that I liked, and usually they would seem impressed. I had no problem landing a paralegal job about 1 month after I graduated. Granted, I had a pretty good GPA, so that probably helped.

The problem is that philosophy (or any liberal arts major really) is that is will most likely cut you out of good fields like finance. Unless you have something like a 3.8, it's hard to crack into a hedge fund or similar type of job. But you probably wouldn't have picked a liberal arts major if you wanted to go into finance or engineering.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And fuck taking philosphy courses to improve on the LSAT. If you want to improve on the LSAT, study for the lsat. Leave college courses for things that don't suck ass.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 am

IDK why philosophy is getting dragged into this, but I will say one of the big reasons why I chose phil over poly sci is because of the absurd amount of gunning that goes on in poly sci classes. Both classes are gpa boosters (LOL at philosophy being a hard major anywhere), and in retrospect I'm glad I picked phil over something objectively difficult like Chem or Bio

I always felt that people chose poly sci over something like english or phil was because it sounded more legit on a phone call with mom and dad, and more importantly that econ 101 was too hard

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:07 am

Dude, I was a philosophy minor and a few credits short of a major. It's getting shit on because it is a shitty major whose only benefit is making beta goobers feel great about knowing who Sartre is. Nobody. Curr.

Atmosphere

Postby Atmosphere » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:12 am

Boomers.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:15 am

it's easy to market a poli sci degree.. in interviews, just emphasize your reading and writing experience and highlight how that separates you from the STEM weirdos.

You know because STEM majors don't read and write reports + do math that would make a liberal arts major heart sink

I'm sure that reading and writing experience will work great for a barista interview at Starbucks. They'll gladly pay $7.50 for you to write #Race Together on my grande coffee
Last edited by withoutapaddle on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:18 am

bjsesq wrote:Dude, I was a philosophy minor and a few credits short of a major. It's getting shit on because it is a shitty major whose only benefit is making beta goobers feel great about knowing who Sartre is. Nobody. Curr.

Lol dude you're a joke.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:20 am

Moneytrees wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Dude, I was a philosophy minor and a few credits short of a major. It's getting shit on because it is a shitty major whose only benefit is making beta goobers feel great about knowing who Sartre is. Nobody. Curr.

Lol dude you're a joke.

Probably true, but at least I'm not a philosophy major.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:30 pm

People defending [insert liberal arts major] at the expense of other liberal arts majors is one of the major reasons why we as a society are ok with six digit student loan bills.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:People defending [insert liberal arts major] at the expense of other liberal arts majors is one of the major reasons why we as a society are ok with six digit student loan bills.

/ponders

/nods approvingly

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:People defending [insert liberal arts major] at the expense of other liberal arts majors is one of the major reasons why we as a society are ok with six digit student loan bills.

If I spend $25 dollars at a restaurant I shouldn't be at in the first place I'm going to convince myself it was the right call, never mind that it's a quarter portion and isn't that good anyway

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm a philosophy major and it's improved my writing and reasoning abilities more than I think any other major would have. It also definitely helped as LSAT prep. However, if I had put less effort into it or went to a school with shitty philosophy faculty, things might have been different. It's certainly not the case that philosophy is guaranteed to make you a better thinker or better person, and I'm not claiming that.

All I'm saying is that for prelaw purposes, philosophy is probably the best major.

That being said, going to college just to go to law school is stupid, so ideally prelaw kids would pair philosophy with something marketable.

I think 90% of people should do STEM or business, and if I could go back in time that's what I would do.

Dog

Postby Dog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:08 pm

From 90% of schools the difference is minimal. Average econ major from average state school isn't getting IB or consulting and isn't making 65k doing anything.

I am a slightly above average econ major from an average state school. I have several poli sci friends. They are typically working for close to minimum wage not using their degrees.

I don't work IB or consulting or make 65k. Still, I started at $55k in an area where my apartment only costs $400 a month, and got a small raise/bonus in my first 6 months.

I work 40 hours a week most of the time . I don't regret my econ degree at all.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Dog wrote:
From 90% of schools the difference is minimal. Average econ major from average state school isn't getting IB or consulting and isn't making 65k doing anything.

I am a slightly above average econ major from an average state school. I have several poli sci friends. They are typically working for close to minimum wage not using their degrees.

I don't work IB or consulting or make 65k. Still, I started at $55k in an area where my apartment only costs $400 a month, and got a small raise/bonus in my first 6 months.

So? And why are you going to law school?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Dog wrote:

They must not have taught statistics in your school's econ curriculum.

betty_bojangles

Postby betty_bojangles » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I'm a philosophy major and it's improved my writing and reasoning abilities more than I think any other major would have. It also definitely helped as LSAT prep. However, if I had put less effort into it or went to a school with shitty philosophy faculty, things might have been different. It's certainly not the case that philosophy is guaranteed to make you a better thinker or better person, and I'm not claiming that.

All I'm saying is that for prelaw purposes, philosophy is probably the best major.

That being said, going to college just to go to law school is stupid, so ideally prelaw kids would pair philosophy with something marketable.

I think 90% of people should do STEM or business, and if I could go back in time that's what I would do.

I majored in pure math and have also taken a lot of philosophy courses. I think that reading and writing math proofs was significantly more difficult and did much more for my writing/reading and definitely reasoning skills than philosophy work did. I also found that I was in a much better position when approaching the LSAT as a result. Whether or not this will help in law school, I don't know, but if we are talking just reading/writing/reasoning skills I think there are definitely majors that beat out philosophy for sure.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:19 pm

You people are all suckers.

Dog

Postby Dog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:20 pm

I just feel econ degrees are a bit more marketable than PS ones. I didn't mean anything huge by it.

The quick story about law school is it makes sense both for my career goals and financially. I work with lawyers on a regular basis, and I want to jump to the other side.

To the above, what do you mean by the statistics line?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Dog wrote:I just feel econ degrees are a bit more marketable than PS ones. I didn't mean anything huge by it.

The quick story about law school is it makes sense both for my career goals and financially. I work with lawyers on a regular basis, and I want to jump to the other side.

To the above, what do you mean by the statistics line?

My four poli sci friends are deadbeats. I'm making $50K!!! Econ sure was the right move.

Do you not see any problems with this.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:25 pm

I agree that econ is a bit better, but majors just don't do a lot of work for most people these days. Ivy leaguers who major in psychology or other totally useless crap can get an investment banking job as long as they keep a high GPA. Meanwhile econ majors throughout the country at plebe schools are folding clothes. Or doing shit call center work in Arizona for six years before heading off to law school. Hypothetically.

Dog

Postby Dog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:26 pm

It was dumb to post my salary and mention my friends like that. I was just trying to make a point about econ vs poli sci.
Last edited by Dog on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”