Should I retake the lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FutureJD77

Should I retake the lsat?

Postby FutureJD77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Hello,

I am pretty far into my application cycle. So far I am wait listed at Vanderbilt, Emory, WUSTL, and UCLA. I am in at Minnesota with 25k/year. I am waiting to hear back from USC. I have been rejected by all of the other schools I have applied to.
My scores are 164, 3.6.
I took the LSAT once last February. I was averaging almost perfect on RC, 9-12 wrong on LR, and 10-12 wrong on LG. The logical games killed me.

My goal is to do Big Law in Southern California.

Should I postpone matriculating at any law school, and take time of work, study for the LSAT, and re-do my cycle next September?

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thanks

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Should I retake the lsat?

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:31 pm

FutureJD77 wrote:Hello,

I am pretty far into my application cycle. So far I am wait listed at Vanderbilt, Emory, WUSTL, and UCLA. I am in at Minnesota with 25k/year. I am waiting to hear back from USC. I have been rejected by all of the other schools I have applied to.
My scores are 164, 3.6.
I took the LSAT once last February. I was averaging almost perfect on RC, 9-12 wrong on LR, and 10-12 wrong on LG. The logical games killed me.

My goal is to do Big Law in Southern California.

Should I postpone matriculating at any law school, and take time of work, study for the LSAT, and re-do my cycle next September?

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Definitely withdraw, retake, and reapply next year/when you have a high score. You'll have much better options with a 169+. Head on over to the LSAT prep threads and get ready!

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:51 pm

I strongly advise taking at least this year to work and raise that LSAT. 5ish more points, and a lot of those WLs turn into acceptances with $$. Unfortunately, Cali schools are generally pretty GPA-crazy, so that hurts you a bit, but I definitely think a higher LSAT will give you some decent options at reasonable debt from a school in CA with a decent shot at placing you in biglaw.

While taking the year off, think long and hard about whether you really want to work biglaw, though, and about what you would consider acceptable, if not ideal, outcomes. Biglaw is never going to be guaranteed as you enter law school, so you should be ready for the very real possibility that you'll spend 3 years of your life working for it and then be stuck with tens of thousands of dollars of debt and a middling salary (or worse) to pay it back on. Then there's the possibility that everything goes perfectly, and you're one of the lucky relative few who lands biglaw. Do the long hours, mind-numbing work, and awful colleagues sound like your dream life?

You may realize over the year that you would be happier in a smaller firm working 50 hour weeks, or that you could be happy in a field totally unrelated to law without going into huge debt. Or maybe you'll realize that you absolutely cannot be happy unless you are doing legal work at least 60 hours a week. In which case, you'll still be in a better position to land biglaw and start your career with the added WE, improved LSAT, lower debt load, and better options than you have this year.

Whatever you decide, props to you for taking the time to think it through. Best of luck!

FutureJD77

Postby FutureJD77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Thank you both for the helpful advice, I do appreciate it. I don't see myself going the big law route for very long, but the paycheck (and ability to pay off student debt), connections, and training that such a path provides does interest me.
I am definitely leaning toward taking the time off, quitting my job and devoting 3 months toward doing the best that I can on the October LSAT. Especially after hearing about the low rates of clerkships and big law placement that a school like Minnesota has, I think, considering my career goals, I have to take the time off to try and get into a "better" school.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:18 am

FutureJD77 wrote:considering my career goals, I have to take the time off to try and get into a "better" school.

Very wise choice. Good luck on your retake & eventual much better situation.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:43 am

If you have to ask, the answer is yes

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:46 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:If you have to ask, the answer is yes

Ironically, I have seen a few "Should I retake?" threads where the answer is "No." I don't think I have ever seen a "I refuse to retake" thread where the answer wasnt "Retake."

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:50 am

if you have to ask*

*and you havent already scored in the 99th+ percentile

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:54 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:if you have to ask*
*and you havent already scored in the 99th+ percentile

SO R U SAYING that if you don't have a 175/4.0 and don't go to HYS then you have to flip burgers at McDonalds!??
GET A GRIP, TLS! :evil:

ShadowMoses

Postby ShadowMoses » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:04 am

Dude don't stress about LG. They used to kill me too. I think that it's the most learnable section on the LSAT. Work through them until they're solved, then try over and over to figure what ways you could have connected and solved them more quickly. Apply those tricks to maximize your efficiency and you'll start missing 0 after a bit of perseverance. Good luck on your retake!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:05 am

Your 4 waitlist placements at non-T-14 law schools should make it clear that a retake is the right course of action.

I'm a bit surprised that you were waitlisted at Emory & WashUStL with your numbers (164/3.6).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”