Fordham v. Cardozo

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Matt_the_meche

Fordham v. Cardozo

Postby Matt_the_meche » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:25 am

Hi all,

I am looking for some guidance on where I should attend law school.

I have significant undergraduate debt (150k) from earning my mechanical engineering degree. I am trying to choose where to attend and would like to eventually work in IP litigation in NYC. I know this is probably a textbook case that has been posed and discussed repetitively but I would still like to see what people think of my specific situation.

The question is simply:
Cardozo with $42k scholarship (Maintain 2.95GPA), tuition is $53k and I am trying to negotiate for a full tuition scholarship.
V.
Fordham with $20k scholarship guaranteed for the 3 years.

Both are known for their IP programs.

Rigo

Re: Fordham v. Cardozo

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:32 am

I wouldn't bet on either of these schools.
You should retake.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:16 pm

Rigo wrote:I wouldn't bet on either of these schools.
You should retake.

I would say don't go if you already have six figure undergrad debt

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Too much debt. Don't go without a full tuition scholarship award.

r1tlv50

Postby r1tlv50 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:48 pm

If you really want to go to LS in the near future, going to Fordham at night (after retaking and trying to get a full scholly) could be an option in that there'd hopefully be no more debt from LS and you'd be able to keep the UG debt from ballooning out of control with money from your career. Definitely a tough four years but any more debt would be really tough to come back from

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:38 am

r1tlv50 wrote:If you really want to go to LS in the near future, going to Fordham at night (after retaking and trying to get a full scholly) could be an option in that there'd hopefully be no more debt from LS and you'd be able to keep the UG debt from ballooning out of control with money from your career. Definitely a tough four years but any more debt would be really tough to come back from

As someone who went to Fordham at night, I totally agree with this. (I needed to stay in NYC for law school and I abhor debt, so I decided to continue working FT while going to school PT.) You won't get a full scholarship from Fordham (they just don't give out money like that), but working would keep the LS debt to a minimum, which is going to be vital for you. As r1t noted, coming back from more than your UG debt is going to be very tough and there are absolutely no guarantees of employment once you're done with LS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”