Deferrall, then retake for more $$$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopstoopid

Deferrall, then retake for more $$$

Postby hopstoopid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:27 am

I got into Cornell, which perfectly fits my career goals. However, they originally offered $0 in scholarship, but just today reconsidered an offer of $30,000. For a number of personal and professional reasons I may want to take another year before matriculating, but I am fairly certain that Cornell would be an excellent school for me to attend.

Cornell says that scholarships do not roll over with a deferral, and that they will reevaluate your financial aid award the next year.

Could I retake the LSAT while deferring an admission in order to get more of a financial aid award? Obviously I would lose the leverage of $$ from other schools, but assuming I raise my LSAT above their 75% (currently at median), would they reconsider?

Obviously a scenario of retake/reapply is still on the table and might be the smartest move, but for my own curiosity I am wondering what TLS thinks.

EDIT: Is it also possible to defer, retake, withdraw the deferral, then apply elsewhere?

Rigo

Re: Deferrall, then retake for more $$$

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:35 am

I would just withdraw and reapply if you choose not to go this year. They won't hold it against you. Life happens.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:55 am

Is it a binding deferral?

hopstoopid

Postby hopstoopid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:03 am

From Cornell's website:

"Because granting your request means that another deserving candidate will be denied the opportunity to attend, we are doing so on the understanding that you will withdraw all pending applications to other schools, that you will not defer admission at another school to which you may be accepted, and that you will not apply for admission to any other school. Unlike several other top schools, we will not ask you to put this in writing, but we expect you to abide by this understanding as a condition to your deferral."

They say nothing about whether or not you are not allowed to withdraw your deferral.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:25 pm

hopstoopid wrote:From Cornell's website:

"Because granting your request means that another deserving candidate will be denied the opportunity to attend, we are doing so on the understanding that you will withdraw all pending applications to other schools, that you will not defer admission at another school to which you may be accepted, and that you will not apply for admission to any other school. Unlike several other top schools, we will not ask you to put this in writing, but we expect you to abide by this understanding as a condition to your deferral."

They say nothing about whether or not you are not allowed to withdraw your deferral.

...you read this to suggest they condone your plan?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Yeah don't do this, OP.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”