Latest employment data

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Moneytrees

Re: Latest employment data

Postby Moneytrees » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:47 pm

wsag826 wrote:0L here. Do federal clerkship percentages matter on the same level that employment numbers do? Certainly they're prestigious but (i) do these clerkship percentages reflect people who are clerking in the 2016-17 year or beyond but are doing a legal fellowship or another JD job first; and (ii) if it is so hard to secure a federal clerkship in the first place, doesn't it kind of make the fed. clerkship %s in the top ten less of a big deal? Just wondering.

Side note, Cornell is doing fantastic. Small class size seems to work very well for them. And I think it should be CCNP at this point in time given Penn's numbers. Or maybe even CCP.

Clerkships in general are so tough to get that you shouldn't go into law school with the assumption that you will one of the few lucky people to get one. Outside of the T14, I think the clerkship rates matter because the people who go on to clerk probably could have landed a Biglaw job if they had wanted one. Also, I think that they give you an idea of how well a school is perceived by the legal community. A school that approaches a 10% rate is going to be more prestigious than a school that hovers around 3% every year.

All that being said, yeah, I don't think you should be going to ND or Emory at sticker just because they have a 7 or 8% clerkship rate.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:48 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/microsites/careers/files/2014_aba_employment_summary.pdf

what positions make up the 31 school funded, do you know? are those teaching fellowships/ associate professors (the research one)?

Pretty sure it's mostly PI.

LetsGoMets wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Just lol @ Columbia's 4.7% fed clerkships. Once is an accident, twice is a trend.

Damn. Did you expect that?

It does seem like with the collapse of the Plan more and more people are aiming to clerk after working for some time, which at a school as biglaw-heavy as CLS could suppress the clerkship numbers at 9 months. Don't mean to turn this into a clerkship discussion, just curious about this trend.

Could be some of that. More than anything people who self-select into a school like Columbia just aren't as likely to be geographically flexible compared to their peers at schools like Chicago and UVA.

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:48 pm

Michigan's numbers are troubling, to say the least.

ETA: SLS looks like the consistent winner in employment outcomes over the last three years.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Really thought columbia would've broke the 80% mark.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:56 pm

where is ut and bc tho for reals

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:01 pm

135: Arkansas-Little Rock - BL+FC-2%, FTLTBR-54%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-54%

Postby 03152016 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:06 pm

wsag826 wrote:0L here. Do federal clerkship percentages matter on the same level that employment numbers do? Certainly they're prestigious but (i) do these clerkship percentages reflect people who are clerking in the 2016-17 year or beyond but are doing a legal fellowship or another JD job first; and (ii) if it is so hard to secure a federal clerkship in the first place, doesn't it kind of make the fed. clerkship %s in the top ten less of a big deal? Just wondering.

Side note, Cornell is doing fantastic. Small class size seems to work very well for them. And I think it should be CCNP at this point in time given Penn's numbers. Or maybe even CCP.

this post perfectly explains why even with more robust disclosure regimes, and even with dozens of law students and practicing attorneys trying to help, most 0Ls are hopeless
i thought we had turned a corner, but this thread has proven me wrong

the "fall" of harvard
cornell and penn in droves
"top ten"
new "subtiers"
the outsize influence of a subset of a subset of a subset, 0Ls completely ignoring context and other metrics
and the unfunny trolls egging them on, who are only making things worse

i've put in hundreds of hours trying to help prospective students in choosing and chances
maybe it was all a waste
maybe it's time to rethink this hobby of mine

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Brut, you can't leave TLS. You're an institution.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:eta: saving brut the time

:cry:

checkers

Postby checkers » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Brut wrote:

this post perfectly explains why even with more robust disclosure regimes, and even with dozens of law students and practicing attorneys trying to help, most 0Ls are hopeless

the "fall" of harvard
"top ten"
new "subtiers"
the outsize influence of a subset of a subset of a subset, 0Ls completely ignoring context and other metrics

i've put in hundreds of hours trying to help prospective students in choosing and chances
maybe it was all a waste

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Brut wrote:i've put in hundreds of hours trying to help prospective students in choosing and chances
maybe it was all a waste

But your posts in choosing and chances were really helpful, at least for me anyways. Also Zuck and mcavoy.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Brut wrote:maybe it's time to rethink this hobby of mine

undead mcavoy gone be dead again soon too

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Brut wrote:this post perfectly explains why even with more robust disclosure regimes, and even with dozens of law students and practicing attorneys trying to help, most 0Ls are hopeless

the "fall" of harvard

Good point about the rise in quality of Cornell and Penn. Brut: which one do you plan to transfer to if your second semester grades are good enough at NYU?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:22 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Brut wrote:this post perfectly explains why even with more robust disclosure regimes, and even with dozens of law students and practicing attorneys trying to help, most 0Ls are hopeless

the "fall" of harvard

Good point about the rise in quality of Cornell and Penn. Brut: which one do you plan to transfer to if your second semester grades are good enough at NYU?

yea brut you're biased as fuck.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Brut wrote:

the "fall" of harvard
"top ten"
new "subtiers"

maybe it was all a waste

I don't really see why that post bothers you so much. He's a 0L, he's here for information, there's no reason to take things overboard.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
Brut wrote:

the "fall" of harvard
"top ten"
new "subtiers"

maybe it was all a waste

I don't really see why that post bothers you so much. He's a 0L, he's here for information, there's no reason to take things overboard.

It's brut. Taking minor things overboard is kind of his shtick. Especially when it comes to anyone saying anything about NYU. Don't get me wrong, I'm a brut fan, just saying.
Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Although he has a point, I really think people are taking these numbers much further than they should. But this has been addressed a few pages ago so I guess there's no need to bother.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:29 pm

yea this is all about nyu starry!
i can tell you are very perceptive and because of these powerful skills will do very well at a top law school and definitely not strike out!
also, thanks for not shitting up this thread and the board in general with awful, inane opinions pulled directly out of your ass!

Postby 03152016 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:29 pm

@money

no, the idiocy throughout this thread bothers me
his post was just the straw that broke the camel's back

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

checkers wrote:This is what I have so far. Will update once the data is all in.

http://i.imgur.com/qRhW2s0.png

Thanks for this

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Vandy didn't have the best outcome, UT really should have released yesterday. Probably doesn't bode well but then again who the hell knows.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:37 pm

guesses on how long til GULC is declared a regional?

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:38 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:guesses on how long til GULC is declared a regional?

Years. We're more neurotic than USNews.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:guesses on how long til GULC is declared a regional?

Never.

BrazilBandit

Postby BrazilBandit » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:40 pm

KMart wrote:Vandy didn't have the best outcome, UT really should have released yesterday. Probably doesn't bode well but then again who the hell knows.

Really hoping they don't wanna post the great numbers they will have so that the entering class is smaller, and then tomorrow they show us that 50% BL+FC

(PS - This is a joke)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”