Latest employment data

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rigo

Re: Latest employment data

Postby Rigo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:07 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
starry eyed wrote:it was no accident that WUSTL had a larger class size, it was TLS.
I mean if you believe this site has any influence, then it's gotta be plausible

My fault. Sorry.

Definitely.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Can the next TLS crusade be to get people to stop coming in droves to GULC?

There are far, far, too many of us, and Andy Cornblatt's not gonna stop hitting that 'admit' button en masse any time soon.

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:08 pm

starry eyed wrote:fordham and GW classs sizes have been on the decrease... is it a coincidence that they are loathed on TLS?

how the hell is WUSTL, in St louis nonetheless, getting 0L's to attend in droves?

Seriously, it's about $$$. They give out a ton of money to people (like me) who fucked up their undergrad GPAs if they can just beat WUSTL's median LSAT.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:15 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Can the next TLS crusade be to get people to stop coming in droves to GULC?

There are far, far, too many of us, and Andy Cornblatt's not gonna stop hitting that 'admit' button en masse any time soon.

Well, ol' Andy finally seemed to have gotten less stingy this year, so don't count on it.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Hand wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:Can the next TLS crusade be to get people to stop coming in droves to GULC?

Well, ol' Andy finally seemed to have gotten less stingy this year, so don't count on it.

Yeah GULC has been way more popular on TLS this cycle than usual.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:17 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Hand wrote:

Yeah GULC has been way more popular on TLS this cycle than usual.

Gray's fault.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Hand wrote:Gray's fault.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Greg James and I will work our hardest next year to foster a TLS Emory fetish.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Rigo wrote:Greg James and I will work our hardest next year to foster a TLS Emory fetish.

He will first need to be unperma'd though

#freegregjames

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Someone tell Mouse to stop being a piece of shit.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Rigo wrote:

This year's crop of new GULC'ers seem pretty cool (except for that incorrigible Hand fellow, of course :P )

I just think GULC could do so much better if there weren't so many mouths to feed (with jobs? I guess?). It needs to find a way to wean itself off all that tuition money.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Maybe they are reducing class size to protect their medians. They can't afford to fall any lower.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:52 pm

it's in the top 20 or so for employment outcomes, cheap COL, and good scholarships (better than peers like ND from what I gather).

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:12 pm

zacharus85 wrote:
Rigo wrote:

This year's crop of new GULC'ers seem pretty cool (except for that incorrigible Hand fellow, of course :P )

I just think GULC could do so much better if there weren't so many mouths to feed (with jobs? I guess?). It needs to find a way to wean itself off all that tuition money.

GULC's problem is a tiny endowment. They literally cannot afford to cut class sizes.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:it's in the top 20 or so for employment outcomes, cheap COL, and good scholarships (better than peers like ND from what I gather).

Sorry I was like two pages behind with that

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:35 pm

It's been one of TLS's main crusades for years. People just got a little bored of it this year and directed more of their "it's an overrated T14" energy towards Michigan. Don't worry, zacharus--everyone still thinks that GULC sucks.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:38 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:
Rigo wrote:

GULC's problem is a tiny endowment. They literally cannot afford to cut class sizes.

Why do they have such a tiny endowment. Aren't their alumni very prominent and successful both nationally and globally?
They can't be more rich than say, WUSTL.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Missed the past couple of pages

Looks like we realized WUSTL is who we thought they were and Georgetown sucks? Is that all or did I miss anything else?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Re: endowments for whole university

Georgetown: $1.4b
WUSTL: $6.7b

I remember reading something online about GU making some bad investments and stuff in the past and generally not focusing on it as much as they should have years ago. Obviously this is the parent endowment, but this affects the law schools.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:it's in the top 20 or so for employment outcomes, cheap COL, and good scholarships (better than peers like ND from what I gather).

Sorry I was like two pages behind with that

To be fair ND really stepped up their game this year with merit aid offers.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:14 pm

which school should we take down next?Im all for a continued assault against UVA

Eta: Internet forum assault that is
Last edited by starry eyed on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:16 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Re: endowments for whole university

I remember reading something online about GU making some bad investments and stuff in the past and generally not focusing on it as much as they should have years ago. Obviously this is the parent endowment, but this affects the law schools.

I don't know if alumni giving has anything to do with it, but they're not getting a damn penny from me outside of my tuition dollars.

If I ever have enough money where giving is an option, I'm setting up a scholarship at my undergrad (AU). They gave me a seriously sweet scholarship and generally did right by me even if I was too flaky back then to appreciate it. Maybe I can earmark it towards AU giving its law school an honorable euthanasia.

Apsara

Postby Apsara » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:17 pm

WeeBey wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Doesn't a large proportion of the top of Cornell's class transfer out? And then don't they also not let transfers participate in OCI? Their numbers are kind of mind boggling if both those are true

Yeah, I think it was 18 out 7 in this year. And you're right on the OCI points too, mostly (transfers in can do OCI and other job fairs that happen later in August, if they are accepted early enough).

Guesses on what % will be the highest? Looks like ~85% is a possibility, no?

If transfers are missing the main OCI, and 18 in a class of 190 (that are presumably median and above?) are transferring out, and they are still putting 74% into bl +fc, well below median students at cornell are getting biglaw. That's fucking nuts, and that's OCI 2012.

Could it really have been that much better pre-reccession? There has to be a limit to how deep firms are willing to go, I can't imagine sub 3.0s (I'm guessing bottom 10%) at any t14 are getting biglaw without serious connections.

I just wanted to add that I know several BL firms that dug deep into the Cornell pool for 1L summer placement. Like very deep. These students also have no serious connections. Outside of personality fit, Cornell's name and reputation is heavyweight.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:17 pm

starry eyed wrote:which school should we take down next?Im all for a continued assault against UVA

What's wrong with UVA? (totally clueless about all things in the higher t14 except that they're better than GULC)

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:18 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Re: endowments for whole university

That's a shockingly low endowment amount for a school like Georgetown.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”