Latest employment data

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Moneytrees

Re: Latest employment data

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:58 am

How important is it for people to go the V20 (or 10) route? Say you go a great vibe from a much lower ranked place that is known for being a little bit more relaxed/more of a lifestyle firm- would you pass up on that for the prestige and superior exit options that a V20 gives you?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Moneytrees wrote:How important is it for people to go the V20 (or 10) route? Say you go a great vibe from a much lower ranked place that is known for being a little bit more relaxed/more of a lifestyle firm- would you pass up on that for the prestige and superior exit options that a V20 gives you?

too dependent on the indivdual. i would think it depends on your goals down the road, whether you want in-house, whether you're content with a more laidback/less prestigious lifestyle, or plan on being a gunner for life.

personally i would take the less prestigious option bc i never want to work in-house and want to own my firm eventually

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:08 pm

starry eyed wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:How important is it for people to go the V20 (or 10) route? Say you go a great vibe from a much lower ranked place that is known for being a little bit more relaxed/more of a lifestyle firm- would you pass up on that for the prestige and superior exit options that a V20 gives you?

too dependent on the indivdual. i would think it depends on your goals down the road, whether you want in-house, whether you're content with a more laidback/less prestigious lifestyle, or plan on being a gunner for life.

personally i would take the less prestigious option bc i never want to work in-house and want to own my firm eventually

Thanks for the response. I was surprised when I started working in NYC as a paralegal at just how much firm prestige matters to attorneys. I guess it's human nature- some people never stop caring about rankings.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:10 pm

It might matter more for corp work (but V20 doesn't seem like a good corp distinction), but for lit isn't not that big of a deal. The true elite lit practices aren't at vault firms anyway.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:18 pm

starry eyed wrote:

vault prestige is pretty dumb. avoiding sweatshops is ideal. sweatshops can still exist outside of v20 though i.e. mayor brown

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Fwiw my friends dad is gc at a non-bulge bracket IB. They have about ~70 attys in house. He said they hire pretty much exclusively from a handful of firms that were mostly v10s I believe.

Whether or not they take lawyers from those firms just cause prestige or because of client relationships I'm not sure. Probably the latter but idk.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:45 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
UVAIce wrote:I think it is a good list, but it is still very NYC centric. Most of my friends at UVA who did very well wanted to work for Covington, Hogan Lovells, Williams & Connolly, or some other DC based firm. But this is just an inherent problem with the Vault rankings.

It's not that NYC centric; the majority of the firms listed are not NYC firms, some don't even have NY offices. i.e. Munger, Williams & Connolly, Irell, Ropes, Covington, Gibson Dunn, Wilmer, Jenner, Kirkland, and Mofo.

OTOH places like GDC and K&E, and to a lesser extent Wilmer and Covington, hire a lot of people in NYC but aren't nearly as selective in that office.

yea that's definitely true (although I don't think Wilmer Cutler ect. had an NY yet office in 2006). but still, I wouldn't call this NY centric since a lot of the hiring for those firms still happens outside of NY. and I think the New york offices became larger over the past decade than they used to be

Just so we're clear, I'm talking about the V10 metric that Brut was crunching numbers on, not the V20, which I think would likely be a better metric.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Clemenceau wrote:Fwiw my friends dad is gc at a non-bulge bracket IB. They have about ~70 attys in house. He said they hire pretty much exclusively from a handful of firms that were mostly v10s I believe.

Whether or not they take lawyers from those firms just cause prestige or because of client relationships I'm not sure. Probably the latter but idk.

Interesting.

Robb

Postby Robb » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm

I was originally going to make one of these for all firms, but their websites are just formatted far too differently to make an effective parser for all the data, and even if I could some of the websites don't supply essential information (Skadden and Paul Weiss, for instance, don't provide graduation years!)

But I thought I'd post this list of attorneys for Wachtell in case anyone could find some use for it: http://files.mylsn.info/files/HImllsU5W2.xlsx

(No guarantees the data is accurate, of course. There could have been a problem with copying from the site, or with the actual data on the website.)

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Howard: See a few posts down.

Only waiting on Temple, CUNY, John Marshall Atlanta and Belmont.
Last edited by JFO1833 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Robb wrote:I was originally going to make one of these for all firms, but their websites are just formatted far too differently to make an effective parser for all the data, and even if I could some of the websites don't supply essential information (Skadden and Paul Weiss, for instance, don't provide graduation years!)

But I thought I'd post this list of attorneys for Wachtell in case anyone could find some use for it: http://files.mylsn.info/files/HImllsU5W2.xlsx

(No guarantees the data is accurate, of course. There could have been a problem with copying from the site, or with the actual data on the website.)

Howard is killing it.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Robb wrote:I was originally going to make one of these for all firms, but their websites are just formatted far too differently to make an effective parser for all the data, and even if I could some of the websites don't supply essential information (Skadden and Paul Weiss, for instance, don't provide graduation years!)

For real though, thanks for the information. Would be interested in seeing some other firm data. Wachtell only does OCI at a few schools.

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:01 pm

110: Howard - BL+FC-23.9% (10.9%), FTLTBR-54.0% (4.7%), FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-53.1% (4.5%)

That is a large BL+FC increase year over year.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:12 pm

JFO1833 wrote:110: Howard - BL+FC-23.9% (10.9%), FTLTBR-54.0% (4.7%), FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-53.1% (4.5%)

That is a large BL+FC increase year over year.

Wow

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:14 pm

fuck me
Last edited by jbagelboy on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:17 pm

phrasing?
Last edited by Cobretti on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:17 pm

LOL

Postby 071816 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:howard is like the little TTT that could. there's a token howard student or two in the summer class of all these elite firm

yikes....

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Dude

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Unless you're seeking the Republican nomination for president, you probably should be a little more careful with your word choice here.
Last edited by rpupkin on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queerqueg

Postby queerqueg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:31 pm

jbagelboy wrote:howard is like the little TTT that could. there's a token howard student or two in the summer class of all these elite firm

QFP

KKKolumbia Class of 2016

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Damn bruh, I know you didn't mean it, but that phrasing is racist.

seizmaar

Postby seizmaar » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:36 pm

good contribution nebs

OneLisfun

Postby OneLisfun » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Just curious, when we know for a fact from people who have federal clerkships that federal clerkships are not a golden ticket to big law, and there are also some federal clerks who say they could not have gotten big law, why we are adding this number in to decide one's big law prospects? Is it really such a high percentage of federal clerks who could have gotten big law instead and/or can get big law after their federal clerkships that we should just consider that percentage equal to those who actually got big law? Because I've seen people start threads on here asking if them taking the federal magistrate position will get them big law, and it seems a lot of people will respond that there is a good chance it won't, and clearly the person asking this was not able to get big law, and is trying to get it through taking the federal clerkship.

For anyone who actually just wants to know what their chances are at getting either of these positions, my question does not apply. My question is for those who have no plans to be applying for any federal clerkships, and simply want to know what the big law prospects are like.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”