Latest employment data

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jbagelboy

Re: Latest employment data

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:29 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:This is the new ranking regardless of US News:

I. Harvard Yale Stanford
II. Chicago Columbia NYU Penn Cornell
III. Berkeley Duke UVA Northwestern
IV. Michigan
V. Georgetown Texas UCLA Vanderbilt
VI. WUSTL Emory USC GW Notre Dame BU BC Fordham
VII. Minnesota Iowa Alabama W&M Arizona State Davis Irvine Georgia Wisconsin BYU Indiana Ohio State UNC Colorado Illinois W&L SMU Florida Wake Forest Tulane Georgia State U. Houston Kentucky Missouri Rutgers Villanova

If someone wants to do the rest of the schools fire away. But this is a ranking of the best 51 law schools in the U.S..

when Chicago and UVA produced higher % of clerks than Harvard, and Columbia, Penn and Chicago send more students into big law + clerk overall, and have less unemployment and more employed graduates full time overall, I just don't understand the value of the list if it doesn't recognize the data. If we're going to make tiers -- and I'm not sure we should -- and it's going to reflect "the data" -- I think Stanford and Yale should absolutely have a tier to themselves.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:newbie 0Ls post pictures and i will rate them

queerqueg

Postby queerqueg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

http://imgur.com/xTJpiHI

Chance at T6? Be gentle

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Wait no, this is is absolutely irrelevant. .

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:36 pm

queerqueg wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

http://imgur.com/xTJpiHI

Chance at T6? Be gentle

4.5 female scale

1.5 male scale.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:40 pm

I'm kinda surprised this stupid sub-tier thing has dragged on as long as it has

I'm pretty sure it started as a joke, then somehow became a real discussion

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:42 pm

rpupkin wrote:So, what is the deal with CLS and UT? What are they afraid of?

In the case of CLS, I think we can safely assume that it was thrown off guard by the Penn/Cornell numbers. Now, CLS is busy cooking the books in order to preserve the perception that it is the premier law school for NYC big law.

But why the delay for UT? Prediction: UT is holding back because it has a HUGE bl+fc increase. It was waiting for the disappointing GULC/Vandy numbers to come out first before lowering the boom and asserting its dominance. You read it here first.

lol all your crackpot predictions always turn out wrong.

reading through this thread has been humorous and depressing

metroidbum

Postby metroidbum » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:45 pm

Last edited by metroidbum on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:48 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

In the case of CLS, I think we can safely assume that it was thrown off guard by the Penn/Cornell numbers. Now, CLS is busy cooking the books in order to preserve the perception that it is the premier law school for NYC big law.

But why the delay for UT? Prediction: UT is holding back because it has a HUGE bl+fc increase. It was waiting for the disappointing GULC/Vandy numbers to come out first before lowering the boom and asserting its dominance. You read it here first.

reading through this thread has been humorous and depressing

I love rpupkin's work ITT.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 pm

nony's finally joined the dark side

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/microsites/careers/files/2014_aba_employment_summary.pdf

what positions make up the 31 school funded, do you know? are those teaching fellowships/ associate professors (the research one)?

Pretty sure it's mostly PI.

LetsGoMets wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Just lol @ Columbia's 4.7% fed clerkships. Once is an accident, twice is a trend.

Damn. Did you expect that?

It does seem like with the collapse of the Plan more and more people are aiming to clerk after working for some time, which at a school as biglaw-heavy as CLS could suppress the clerkship numbers at 9 months. Don't mean to turn this into a clerkship discussion, just curious about this trend.

Could be some of that. More than anything people who self-select into a school like Columbia just aren't as likely to be geographically flexible compared to their peers at schools like Chicago and UVA.

Columbia did have a 7.1% increase in class size b/t 2013 and 2014 and still improved its stats, while many other comparable schools had less students.

The low numbers are upsetting, but anecdotally, it seems your class might make a comeback. I don't know that many 3Ls but among the ones I do know, at least eight of them have clerkships for next year. Which suggests there are more than 23 in the class as a whole.

It's a shame the numbers can't capture students who have a clerkship lined up the following year. I think that would help both Harvard and Columbia. Columbia 1L professors are not proactive enough about supplying recommendations -- in part due to size, but also culture -- so students often have to wait for spring of 2L to gather three strong faculty members letters. By then SDNY/2nd are often already hiring for a year out from their graduation. In my experience with the process it's become increasingly common, even a majority of cases, at CLS to secure your clerkship for a year out of school, whereas this didn't used to be the case.

Firms have also become more flexible with it. A notable drawback of some firms that comes up during interviewing (*cough* CSM) is their failure to guarantee class credit and a return spot to a student who clerks a year or two out.

skers

Postby skers » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if Columbia just had more corp oriented people.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:15 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Uhhh....no. I completely nailed it. UT had the largest % bl+fc increase of any school in the important T14-T21 category.

I am sad that both you and Brut have forsaken me. I have apparently lost the confidence of the NYC bloc of the CCN tier. I guess I just wasn't made for these times.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:22 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Uhhh....no. I completely nailed it. UT had the largest % bl+fc increase of any school in the important T14-T21 category.

I am sad that both you and Brut have forsaken me. I have apparently lost the confidence of the NYC bloc of the CCN tier. I guess I just wasn't made for these times.

okay, true. I didn't give you enough credit. You were half right.

But you made similar crackpot, later false claims about USNWR.

Also Stanford is looking mighty fine :)

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:37 pm

102: Indiana (McKinney) - BL+FC-7.9% (.5%), FTLTBR-59.5% (11.6%), FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-58.4% (11.0%)

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:01 am

At a glance this appears how it all concluded. On the top end Penn rocked it. Cornell and Duke did extremely well and are potential T6ers. A bit further down the employment rankings Iowa and Boston College came through as T14 candidates. Georgetown and perhaps Texas did not achieve what they had anticipated.

My metric is solely based on solid good paying firm employment without SFJ. I am not knowledgeable enough about JD Advantage to be completely sold on it. All that is left to do is to see how USNWR and ATL plays it.

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:04 am

that's really something

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:42 am

twenty 8 wrote:Iowa and Boston College came through as T14 candidates.

If people take only one thing away from this thread, let it be this

Good post

queerqueg

Postby queerqueg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:51 am

Big thanks to JFO, Brazil, et al for the updates and spreadsheet

This shit-fiesta wouldn't have been possible without you

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 am

thank you and goodnight

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:05 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:This is the new ranking regardless of US News:

I. Harvard Yale Stanford
II. Chicago Columbia NYU Penn Cornell
III. Berkeley Duke UVA Northwestern
IV. Michigan
V. Georgetown Texas UCLA Vanderbilt
VI. WUSTL Emory USC GW Notre Dame BU BC Fordham
VII. Minnesota Iowa Alabama W&M Arizona State Davis Irvine Georgia Wisconsin BYU Indiana Ohio State UNC Colorado Illinois W&L SMU Florida Wake Forest Tulane Georgia State U. Houston Kentucky Missouri Rutgers Villanova

If someone wants to do the rest of the schools fire away. But this is a ranking of the best 51 law schools in the U.S..

now that im surrounded by people who genuinely don't want biglaw (and definitely have grades for it ezpz), it really seems silly how okay people are with ignoring PI/Govt centric outcomes in their analysis

not that I didn't do the same thing before

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:09 am

Exactly. But pieople focused on PI/govt should know that there are major qualifications to be made before taking anything at face value in this thread

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:14 am

BigZuck wrote:
twenty 8 wrote:Iowa and Boston College came through as T14 candidates.

If people take only one thing away from this thread, let it be this

Good post

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Many thanks to JFO, Brazil, Moneytrees, and others; this thread has been informative and entertaining.

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”