Latest employment data Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JMWZ

New

Re: Latest employment data

Post by JMWZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:34 pm

I understand that a couple percentage points aren't statistically significant, but what if one school has a 10% greater BL+FC number. Is that something to make a decision based on, or could 10% just be self selection?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:35 pm

JMWZ wrote:I understand that a couple percentage points aren't statistically significant, but what if one school has a 10% greater BL+FC number. Is that something to make a decision based on, or could 10% just be self selection?
Which schools?

JMWZ

New

Post by JMWZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:
JMWZ wrote:I understand that a couple percentage points aren't statistically significant, but what if one school has a 10% greater BL+FC number. Is that something to make a decision based on, or could 10% just be self selection?
Which schools?
Probably shouldn't put the schools. Two T1s
Last edited by JMWZ on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Which schools?
First Yale-> Cornell transfer in history. Duh

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:39 pm

This is what we should expect for UT, according to Dean Ingram:

"New placement statistics will be available later today. Look for increased salary, modest placement increase and reallocation among firm size employment."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:42 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:This is what we should expect for UT, according to Dean Ingram:

"New placement statistics will be available later today. Look for increased salary, modest placement increase and reallocation among firm size employment."
Sounds like modest dmg control

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:44 pm

JMWZ wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Which schools?
Yeah we can't even advise you if you're this vague. Everything past T14 is regional so straight placement numbers don't matter as much if you're not from that regional and dont have ties there.

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:45 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:This is what we should expect for UT, according to Dean Ingram:

meaning more solos and less big law?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:46 pm

JMWZ wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Which schools?
That one school looks like it does have somewhat of a pipeline into Chicago big law, but it still doesn't place particularly well. I wouldn't go to either with the expectation of big law. If you want big law go to the T14, that's what it's there for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:49 pm

thisiswater wrote:

meaning more solos and less big law?
Maybe more "MidLaw" - if that's really a thing - since there's also a salary increase? or maybe just more professional and JD Advantage positions...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:50 pm

JMWZ, just looked at your post history. No idea why you're chooosing to be vague now.
Seconding everything Zuck said, but I think you should go to the one in the more populous state where a recent president is from.

JMWZ

New

Post by JMWZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Rigo wrote:JMWZ, just looked at your post history. No idea why you're chooosing to be vague now.
Seconding everything Zuck said, but I think you should go to the one in the more populous state where a recent president is from.
Sorry if I'm being needlessly stupid. Thank you all.

wsag826

Bronze

Post by wsag826 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Brut wrote:
wsag826 wrote:0L here. Do federal clerkship percentages matter on the same level that employment numbers do? Certainly they're prestigious but (i) do these clerkship percentages reflect people who are clerking in the 2016-17 year or beyond but are doing a legal fellowship or another JD job first; and (ii) if it is so hard to secure a federal clerkship in the first place, doesn't it kind of make the fed. clerkship %s in the top ten less of a big deal? Just wondering.

Side note, Cornell is doing fantastic. Small class size seems to work very well for them. And I think it should be CCNP at this point in time given Penn's numbers. Or maybe even CCP.
this post perfectly explains why even with more robust disclosure regimes, and even with dozens of law students and practicing attorneys trying to help, most 0Ls are hopeless
i thought we had turned a corner, but this thread has proven me wrong

the "fall" of harvard
cornell and penn in droves
"top ten"
new "subtiers"
the outsize influence of a subset of a subset of a subset, 0Ls completely ignoring context and other metrics
and the unfunny trolls egging them on, who are only making things worse

i've put in hundreds of hours trying to help prospective students in choosing and chances
maybe it was all a waste
maybe it's time to rethink this hobby of mine
First and foremost, outside of the typo of using "top ten" instead of "top fourteen" I didn't say any of those things.

Second, I was merely pointing out that Cornell and Penn's employment #s are much better than their USNWR ratings or perceived tiers. Yes, I am a 0L. But the very law school students and practicing attorneys who frequent this website reference rankings and tiers all the time. In fact, practicing attorneys I know and have heard from at admitted students panels and professional events have referenced them too. But they aren't speaking objectively, they're speaking to perception. As in, people perceive one school to be better than another because it's ranked higher or because its employment numbers are higher. I wasn't speaking objectively. I was speaking in reference to how people perceive tiers and ranks. Most people do not perceive Cornell to be in the same tier as Columbia, Chicago, and NYU, but their employment numbers tell a different story. Most people do not perceive Penn to be in the same tier as Columbia, Chicago, and NYU, but their employment numbers tell a different story. I wasn't suggesting one is better than others. I was merely saying that perhaps these employment numbers will change perceptions. I really didn't think I would have had to break this down...

And finally, if you think this is a waste, please move forward. 0Ls use this website as a resource and community, and forums are places for observations and insight. Your word is not the gospel or the end-all-be-all because you profess to be more knowledgeable while hiding behind a keyboard like the rest of us. If you seriously hope to help prospective students choose and chance law schools, you should become a consultant and do it in person or at least via Skype. And if you do want to respond to 0Ls on TLS, the least you could be is polite. My comment was harmless, at best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:03 pm

63: Connecticut - BL+FC-12%, FTLTBR-52%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-52%
82: Hawaii - BL+FC-0%, FTLTBR-54%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-54%
RNP: Inter-American - BL+FC-0%, FTLTBR-9%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-9%

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:05 pm

rion91 wrote:where is ut and bc tho for reals

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:06 pm

wsag826 wrote:If you seriously hope to help prospective students choose and chance law schools, you should become a consultant and do it in person or at least via Skype.
wut

Anyway, employment numbers aren't necessarily the end all, be all though. Just keep that in mind when you're unironically crafting your newest tiers based on this year's (or even multiple year's) data. It could be the end all, be all of course. But again, not necessarily. It's more complicated than that, sometimes much more so.

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:07 pm

JFO1833 wrote:63: Connecticut - BL+FC-12%, FTLTBR-52%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-52%
82: Hawaii - BL+FC-0%, FTLTBR-54%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-54%
RNP: Inter-American - BL+FC-0%, FTLTBR-9%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-9%

767 students, 21 receiving grants... tuition is 15K/year, but still...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Don’t read anything into it — Texas is always slow. Think of a tumbleweed on a windless hot day, that’s Texas and UT in particular. We had to be one of the last (or the last) to receive our bar results. That’s just the way it is.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:26 pm

what the dean means to say is that if you include firms with 50+ attorneys, our biglaw numbers are the same as last year

and also consider that texas does have a larger than avg midlaw presence

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:36 pm

34: Boston College - BL+FC-37%, FTLTBR-75%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-74%
http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/sch ... Report.pdf

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 pm

JFO1833 wrote:34: Boston College - BL+FC-37%, FTLTBR-75%, FTLTBR (w/o LSF)-74%
http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/sch ... Report.pdf
Damn. Not bad at all. Especially that FTLTBR number. Better than GULC, right?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:43 pm

GULC had a pretty fad FTLTBR number, though. A lot of T14s had a better number. Solid BL+FC numbers from BC/BU though.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:45 pm

BC>BU in terms of employment again.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Not bad, BC/BU. Both have cut class sizes in recent years so the solid employment numbers should continue.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”