US News Ranking Score Breakdowns

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Re: US News Ranking Score Breakdowns

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:46 am

I would love to know who gets sent the USNWR survey and who bothers to return it. The peer assessment score doesn't seem any more useful to lawyers than the specialty rankings. And I'm really not sure 1) how the judge/lawyer one is administered and 2) how it translates to actual hiring.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:01 am

Fred Norris wrote:
banjo wrote:I think most of the metrics are in this chart: http://brianhuddleston.blogspot.com/201 ... coded.html

That's really cool of you to find. Thanks!

EDIT:

I don't think these are worthless. The assessment by peers and judges/lawyers is really interested. I thought that Yale would be killing it, but it got the same score as HS.

Maybe I am wrong - but isn't this what counts when it comes to getting hired? The reason why you want to go to HYS instead of Cornell is because those doing the hiring have a better opinion than the aforementioned?

Not really, for several reasons.

First, it varies year to year. In 2014, Chicago, Columbia, and Yale all scored a 4.7 on lawyer/judge assessment; Harvard and Stanford scored a 4.8. In 2013, Chicago, Columbia and Stanford scored 4.7, and Yale and Harvard received 4.8. In peer assessment, for 2014 Stanford received a 4.7, Columbia and Chicago received a 4.6, and HY received 4.8. But this too shifts year on year. I don't know what this tells you other than all these schools are well regarded.

Second, consider who makes these evaluations? The peer assessment is just made by university administrators. I'm not sure what value to draw from that type of masturbatory internal ivory tower dialogue, but it's marginal at best. The attorney assessment is just whoever decided to take the commercial survey that year. Maybe I'll get to do it next year for fun, who knows.

Third, what can we make of these distinctions? Is there any material logic to them? Not really. NYU and Berkeley received a 4.4 peer assessment in 2014. Columbia got a 4.6, SLS got a 4.7, YLS got a 4.8. Do we infer from this that CLS is twice better regarded compared to NYU (0.2) than YLS compared to SLS, or SLS to CLS (0.1)? No one could make this argument, because it's ludicrous (especially when the other survey for practitioners goes the other way and rates YCC the same below S!). But that's the reasonable way to read this "data," which suggests the data itself is worthless.

Fourth and most importantly, the ABA releases actual employment data for each school, so why dig around for half-inferences from a commercial survey for information that we already have? That's like trying to guess what nationality someone is from their shoes or their hat when you're looking at their passport.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:11 pm

Which attorneys receive the commercial surveys?

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Fred Norris wrote:
banjo wrote:I think most of the metrics are in this chart: http://brianhuddleston.blogspot.com/201 ... coded.html

That's really cool of you to find. Thanks!

EDIT:

I don't think these are worthless. The assessment by peers and judges/lawyers is really interested. I thought that Yale would be killing it, but it got the same score as HS.

Maybe I am wrong - but isn't this what counts when it comes to getting hired? The reason why you want to go to HYS instead of Cornell is because those doing the hiring have a better opinion than the aforementioned?

My man fred, not your best effort

But keep fishing for someone to affirm that H=Y

You'll get there

Fred Norris

Postby Fred Norris » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:42 am

You've yet to prove otherwise. (Though I didn't have Yale in mind when making this thread).

Isn't this the second time you've commented/trolled in a thread of mine about me rather than the thread itself?

Not sure why you are so seemingly obsessed with me. I guess if you find me so fascinating, feel free to PM me a questionnaire.

Iwanttolawschool

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:47 pm

So Peer Assessment and Lawyer Assessment is a silly metric... if it was removed, I think ASU would jump about 5-6 schools. (I'm a 0L, no allegiances anywhere)
EDIT: I guess I don't know how much it counts in weight

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 pm

So wheres the silly library metric everyone always cites?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”