TLS circlejerk - It's not all about GPA/LSAT!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigZuck

Re: TLS circlejerk - It's not all about GPA/LSAT!

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:08 pm

The OP strikes me as out of touch

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:30 pm

Things I love best about OP's troll-style:

1. Acts like a wise graybeard in all things law; is a 2L

2. Claims to have done 'very well' including items like law review, graduating top of class, etc. yet posts nothing about employment future (y'know, the thing that makes all the brag items above worth something).

3. Starts post off by attacking entire TLS community; collapses myriad posters into a single prestige-whore strawman.

4. Claims 'it's not about the numbers' and then posts shit like this:
reasonable person wrote:For the record, I scored very well on the LSAT. Between that andy work experience and other degree, I had a full ride for all three years.

ETA: Good shtick, but not quiiiite believable.
Last edited by Capitol_Idea on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:33 pm

lurkerlarry wrote:DON'T FEED THE TROLL

We dun fed the troll

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:42 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Things I love best about OP:

1. Acts like a wise graybeard in all things law; is a 2L

2. Claims to have done 'very well' including items like law review, graduating top of class, etc. yet posts nothing about employment future (y'know, the thing that makes all the brag items above worth something).

3. Starts post off by attacking entire TLS community; collapses myriad posters into a single prestige-whore strawman.

4. Claims 'it's not about the numbers' and then posts shit like this:
reasonable person wrote:For the record, I scored very well on the LSAT. Between that andy work experience and other degree, I had a full ride for all three years.

...whoosh?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:02 pm

no that's just how he writes

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:05 pm

AU circlejerk: three years in the DC 'burbs with no job? Sign me up! I'll pay anything!

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:11 pm

I plan on being the next president which is why I am planning to go to American

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:I plan on being the next president which is why I am planning to go to American

Chump move, bro. Gotta go G/G or go home.

butlerraider1

Postby butlerraider1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:24 pm

downbeat14 wrote:
lurkerlarry wrote:DON'T FEED THE TROLL

Post history suggests trolling

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Alright I'm done. It's clear that the vast majority of you TLSers are out of touch, prestige jerking, number whoring pigs who haven't gotten the slightest clue of the inner workings of an admissions office.
No use arguing with you idiots. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:15 pm

reasonable person wrote:number whoring pigs

yeah guys why are you so obssessed with empirical data?

lmao

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:17 pm

reasonable person wrote:Alright I'm done.

Excellent. K thanks bye now

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:17 pm

reasonable person wrote:I was not on a T14 admissions committee, but rather a T1, and there were far more deviations than the school you chose.
For e.g.:
http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1415

Again, GPA/LSAT aren't THE determining factors. I agree they account for a portion of the admissions process. All factors that are considered have a certain amount of weight. But that's why there are factors: so that no one or two factors are the sole basis for a decision about admission.

I'd be curious how many of those deviations are splitters/reverse splitters. It's clear that every year splitters/reverse splitters get into some very good schools, so of course no one's saying that both a high GPA and a high LSAT are required. And I agree that soft factors play a role in admissions, especially in crafting a compelling application package overall. But as someone already said, you can't quantify softs, so if an applicant is trying to assess chances of admissions, numbers are where you look. I'd also suspect that people who get into schools based on compelling softs, not their stats, are less likely to get merit aid, so again, applicants have to consider where their numbers are competitive for not just admission, but money.

Also, OP, you might want to chill out.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:22 pm

reasonable person wrote:Alright I'm done. It's clear that the vast majority of you TLSers are out of touch, prestige jerking, number whoring pigs who haven't gotten the slightest clue of the inner workings of an admissions office.
No use arguing with you idiots. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Dude, almost everyone ITT navigated the law school admissions process using TLS as a guide. I can't speak for others, but in my case TLS was more accurate in assessing my chances and helping me form my application strategy than any other resource out there. It's a free message board that gives more helpful advice than any professional career services advisor. I don't know what you're railing against- it's an incredibly helpful resource.

Also, what the fuck does "beat you with experience" mean? It sounds like that's a good thing, right? Like, the common knowledge of TLS is based on the experience of its collection of current law students and practicing lawyers, and their collective experience (and ability to point to LSN as statistical back-up) will beat your inexperience??? Yes, it will.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:50 pm

reasonable person wrote:Alright I'm done. It's clear that the vast majority of you TLSers are out of touch, prestige jerking, number whoring pigs who haven't gotten the slightest clue of the inner workings of an admissions office.

I feel you OP. No use arguing with these guys. I would most certainly take what they have to say with a grain of salt.
It's much more informative listening to the admissions counselors. They're much more experienced on all things admissions, and they for the most part agree with your assertions. Numbers are only half the story. I would not be where I am now, if it were purely number based. I am sure my life experiences, leadership skills, and other soft factors played an incredible role.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:17 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:

I feel you OP. No use arguing with these guys. I would most certainly take what they have to say with a grain of salt.
It's much more informative listening to the admissions counselors. They're much more experienced on all things admissions, and they for the most part agree with your assertions. Numbers are only half the story. I would not be where I am now, if it were purely number based. I am sure my life experiences, leadership skills, and other soft factors played an incredible role.

...whoosh?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Of course it's not all numbers, but based on what I've looked at, even at the low end of the T-14, it's about half (Yale...by low end, I obviously mean in terms of how much numbers matter), and it's closer to 85% at the high end (Columbia). But, like others have pointed out, since those are the two things that you can quantify, and are almost certainly the most important factors, it makes sense to focus on them.

And of course admissions counselors are going to tell you that they strongly consider factors other than LSAT and GPA. None of them are going to come out and say it's largely a numbers game, come on.

KMart

Postby KMart » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:21 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:They're much more experienced on all things admissions, and they for the most part agree with your assertions.

What are they supposed to say? "We don't care about anything other than numbers?". Sure numbers are not everything but they're probably 90% of the decision. If you're at median and another applicant is at median I'm sure other factors are looked at, but let's be honest a 4.0/180 with no softs is only getting WLed for yield protection purposes and a 2.0/150 isn't going to a very good school even if they had great softs.

Edit - wow scooped haha.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Yale Law admits countless applicants in the 150 LSAT range. they dip quite low in GPA as well.
And if YLS does, the rest of the T14 admits way more, and may even dip into the 140s.
Softs is 50%, Numbers is 50% imo.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:12 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:

Nice outing your sock puppet. You deleted this message from where you accidentally quoted yourself, but then didn't change the text when you logged back in.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:16 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:Yale Law admits countless applicants in the 150 LSAT range. they dip quite low in GPA as well.
And if YLS does, the rest of the T14 admits way more, and may even dip into the 140s.

YLS has the luxury of taking a low LSAT or GPA who has otherwise very interesting experience now and then. One or two people every couple of years does not a trend make. Yale can do it because it is Yale and is less a slave to USNWR. As an applicant you can certainly throw Hail Marys. You should not make that your plan a.
Last edited by TooOld4This on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:20 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:

Nice outing your sock puppet. You deleted this message from where you accidentally quoted yourself, but then didn't change the text when you logged back in.

I saw this too. Busted the troll.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:Yale Law admits countless applicants in the 150 LSAT range. they dip quite low in GPA as well.

Haha what

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:24 pm

downbeat14 wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:

I saw this too. Busted the troll.

Yeah, at least our circle jerk is genuine. He had to manufacture his.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:26 pm

OP and his alt are taking a break, and only one will return. As a reminder, alting to sockpuppet is not allowed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”