TLS circlejerk - It's not all about GPA/LSAT!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reasonable person

TLS circlejerk - It's not all about GPA/LSAT!

Postby reasonable person » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:12 pm

The majority of TLS's ignorance and stupidity are anything but laughable. You guys are the type that would give lawyers a bad name if you ever get licensed. The fact that you really think it's Strictly a numbers game should be clue number 3445623 that you don't know what you are talking about.

Life experience, advanced degrees, contacts, personal statement weigh considerably as well because admission committees know that some people don't test well. Law schools want well-rounded individuals. Not pompous windbags with high scores on tests that are not the least bit indicative of success as a law student or as a lawyer.

That's not information that is out of touch. It's reality. But you don't want to admit it because being the stereotypical know-it-all law student, you can't admit when you are wrong.

BNA

Re: TLS circlejerk - It's not all about GPA/LSAT!

Postby BNA » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:15 pm

This is not going to go well for you.

lurkerlarry

Postby lurkerlarry » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 pm

DON'T FEED THE TROLL

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:28 pm

lurkerlarry wrote:DON'T FEED THE TROLL

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Not trying to feed the troll. But the truth is for anyone else reading this that might believe the OP, that even if everything that he/she said is true, it's unquantifiable, and you don't have any way of knowing how any of those things might help (or even hurt) you. For that reason, think of it as nothing but the numbers, since that's something that can be reliably estimated.

BrazilBandit

Postby BrazilBandit » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:34 pm

I was really disappointed when I saw that OP wasn't Brianiac...

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:35 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Not trying to feed the troll. But the truth is for anyone else reading this that might believe the OP, that even if everything that he/she said is true, it's unquantifiable, and you don't have any way of knowing how any of those things might help (or even hurt) you. For that reason, think of it as nothing but the numbers, since that's something that can be reliably estimated.

Not in any way trolling. I was a student liasion member of the admissions committee for the law school. I know what factors were used and how things were calculated. That's how I know that YOU are the one full of hot air. And you hate the thought that someone who might have lower scores could possibly get in.

For the record, I scored very well on the LSAT. Between that andy work experience and other degree, I had a full ride for all three years. Oh and if not doing well in law school constitues being on law review, being a Torts tutor, and graduating in the top five of my class, then you're right. I didn't do well.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:36 pm

reasonable person wrote:The majority of TLS's ignorance and stupidity are anything but laughable. You guys are the type that would give lawyers a bad name if you ever get licensed. The fact that you really think it's Strictly a numbers game should be clue number 3445623 that you don't know what you are talking about.

Life experience, advanced degrees, contacts, personal statement weigh considerably as well because admission committees know that some people don't test well. Law schools want well-rounded individuals. Not pompous windbags with high scores on tests that are not the least bit indicative of success as a law student or as a lawyer.

That's not information that is out of touch. It's reality. But you don't want to admit it because being the stereotypical know-it-all law student, you can't admit when you are wrong

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:45 pm

reasonable person wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Not trying to feed the troll. But the truth is for anyone else reading this that might believe the OP, that even if everything that he/she said is true, it's unquantifiable, and you don't have any way of knowing how any of those things might help (or even hurt) you. For that reason, think of it as nothing but the numbers, since that's something that can be reliably estimated.

Not in any way trolling. I was a student liasion member of the admissions committee for the law school. I know what factors were used and how things were calculated. That's how I know that YOU are the one full of hot air. And you hate the thought that someone who might have lower scores could possibly get in.

For the record, I scored very well on the LSAT. Between that andy work experience and other degree, I had a full ride for all three years. Oh and if not doing well in law school constitues being on law review, being a Torts tutor, and graduating in the top five of my class, then you're right. I didn't do well.

When you were on the admissions committee, did all of your admits just happen to fall above a certain line if plotted on a graph represented by GPA and LSAT?

I'm sure this kind of shit is just a coincidence and that all of the holistically admitted students happen to fall above such a line.

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:53 pm

I was not on a T14 admissions committee, but rather a T1, and there were far more deviations than the school you chose.
For e.g.:
http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1415

Again, GPA/LSAT aren't THE determining factors. I agree they account for a portion of the admissions process. All factors that are considered have a certain amount of weight. But that's why there are factors: so that no one or two factors are the sole basis for a decision about admission.

TheOnePercent

Postby TheOnePercent » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Wait for it.
reasonable person wrote:but rather a T1

There 'ya go.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:57 pm

reasonable person wrote:I was not on a T14 admissions committee, but rather a T1, and there were far more deviations than the school you chose.
For e.g.:

Again, GPA/LSAT aren't THE determining factors. I agree they account for a portion of the admissions process. All factors that are considered have a certain amount of weight. But that's why there are factors: so that no one or two factors are the sole basis for a decision about admission.

No one cares about American's admission process since it's a trap school. Do you have an example of a school that isn't a complete employment shithole that would illustrate your point?

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:08 pm

reasonable person wrote:I was not on a T14 admissions committee, but rather a T1, and there were far more deviations than the school you chose.
For e.g.:

Did you guys have a target median for GPA/LSAT? If you did, then numbers counted for more than any other factor.

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:12 pm

TheOnePercent wrote:Wait for it.

There 'ya go.

You're right. I have enough common sense and independent thinking ability not to just follow the pack and believe the prestige angle. Especially since law school prestige is only relevant in very narrowly tailored circumstances. The fact that you can't see that and continue to just repeat things you read in periodicals or in online forums is what's comical. I just hope others recognize that your attempts to belittle the opinions of two practicing lawyers shows how uninformed you are. You clearly can't have thoughts outside of what you read.

And as I said in a previous post, you don't have an overall picture of admissions. You only know that YOU were admitted. Your comments on here can be analogized to a medical student telling a board certified surgeon that she has no idea what practicig medicine is like or how to perform surgery.

At any rate, hopefully people will just see that the two of you are just overly eager law students who are still in that "I know everything because Im a law student phase."

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:17 pm

It's not all about the GPA and LSAT, true, but it is mostly about them. That there are exceptions to the rule does not invalidate it. And the rule is that you need a high GPA or LSAT (and often, both) to get into a top law school. There are obviously people with incredible soft factors who get into the top schools while having middling scores, but those soft factors have to be very substantial to overcome the GPA/LSAT hurdle.

Soft factors undoubtedly do play a role as law schools try to balance their incoming classes, but in most cases, you won't be admitted unless you also have solid numbers.

TheOnePercent

Postby TheOnePercent » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:20 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I'm sure this kind of shit is just a coincidence and that all of the holistically admitted students happen to fall above such a line.

Hah this. This so much.

Fred Norris

Postby Fred Norris » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:24 pm

You're graduating American University next spring. They will accept almost anyone with a pulse:

Less than half of your classmates will work as lawyers:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/american/

People on these forums are generally looking at schools where you need more than a pulse and a few brain cells. Your advice is worthless to them.

victory

Postby victory » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:25 pm

For e.g.:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/american/

ETA: scooped by a minute

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:26 pm

For e.g.:

Lol AU isn't a tier 1.

Fred Norris

Postby Fred Norris » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:27 pm

reasonable person wrote:
TheOnePercent wrote:Wait for it.

There 'ya go.

You're right. I have enough common sense and independent thinking ability not to just follow the pack and believe the prestige angle. Especially since law school prestige is only relevant in very narrowly tailored circumstances. The fact that you can't see that and continue to just repeat things you read in periodicals or in online forums is what's comical. I just hope others recognize that your attempts to belittle the opinions of two practicing lawyers shows how uninformed you are. You clearly can't have thoughts outside of what you read.

And as I said in a previous post, you don't have an overall picture of admissions. You only know that YOU were admitted. Your comments on here can be analogized to a medical student telling a board certified surgeon that she has no idea what practicig medicine is like or how to perform surgery.

At any rate, hopefully people will just see that the two of you are just overly eager law students who are still in that "I know everything because Im a law student phase."

Huh? You are 2L as per your profile. If everything here is out air, why are so few of the recent graduates from your school employeed as lawyers?

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:32 pm

BORED. 1/10

I'm at a loss for a good alt shtick that would work on TLS at this point though. Brianiac was pretty good.

McJimJam

Postby McJimJam » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:33 pm

You're no brianiac sir, but keep trying you'll get there.

Eladriel

Postby Eladriel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Aeon wrote:It's not all about the GPA and LSAT, true, but it is mostly about them. That there are exceptions to the rule does not invalidate it. And the rule is that you need a high GPA or LSAT (and often, both) to get into a top law school. There are obviously people with incredible soft factors who get into the top schools while having middling scores, but those soft factors have to be very substantial to overcome the GPA/LSAT hurdle.

Soft factors undoubtedly do play a role as law schools try to balance their incoming classes, but in most cases, you won't be admitted unless you also have solid numbers.

This sounds about right.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:28 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:I was really disappointed when I saw that OP wasn't Brianiac...

My money was on pollywolly. But yeah, disappointed...

UOI4430

Postby UOI4430 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:52 pm

We all know what a powerhouse American is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”