UVA vs Vandy w/ $ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Vandy with $ or UVA?

Vandy w/ $
8%
UVA
75%
Neither
17%

Total votes: 12

telbo340

New

UVA vs Vandy w/ $

Post by telbo340 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:21 pm

Hey guys,

I need some advice from people who have been through the process already. I'm trying to decide between admission to UVA with no scholarship offer and Vanderbilt with a $90k offer. It seems like I can't go wrong with Vandy, so I'd love some feedback. I also have $120k@WUSTL/$45k@UNC/$0@Texas. Thanks in advance.

hairbear7

Silver

Re: UVA vs Vandy w/ $

Post by hairbear7 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:23 pm

What are your ties/career goals?

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:24 pm

telbo340 wrote:Hey guys,

I need some advice from people who have been through the process already. I'm trying to decide between admission to UVA with no scholarship offer and Vanderbilt with a $90k offer. It seems like I can't go wrong with Vandy, so I'd love some feedback. I also have $120k@WUSTL/$45k@UNC/$0@Texas. Thanks in advance.
for people to help, they need all pertinent info related to your career goals included location preferences

But either way, I'm guessing Vandy is the answer.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Sounds like UVA should cough up some cash -- also, figure out your post-grad total debt level - could make a difference given the sizable scholarship from Vandy and the absence of one from UVA.

telbo340

New

Post by telbo340 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Apologies, first post. I don't have specific location desires for the future. I am 27, and my fiancee has full ride offers to both schools' MBA programs. We obviously want careers in the same (big-ish to big) city after school, so having solid career options are important to us. I plan to study corporate transactions, potentially corporate litigation. I'll be taking out loans either way, so $ is a concern, but debt is a reality. Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:36 pm

telbo340 wrote:Apologies, first post. I don't have specific location desires for the future. I am 27, and my fiancee has full ride offers to both schools' MBA programs. We obviously want careers in the same (big-ish to big) city after school, so having solid career options are important to us. I plan to study corporate transactions, potentially corporate litigation. I'll be taking out loans either way, so $ is a concern, but debt is a reality. Thanks
sounds like Vanderbilt is more suited to your goals especially given your averseness to debt.

But... UVA's MBA is T10, Vandy's is much worse-that will definitely affect your wife's opportunities.
Last edited by starry eyed on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:38 pm

I'd go to vandy with that money

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:56 pm

I think both are too expensive.

Do either of the MBA programs help your fiancée? Not sure how true the M7 or bust thing is but neither school has an elite MBA program.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:25 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think both are too expensive.

Do either of the MBA programs help your fiancée? Not sure how true the M7 or bust thing is but neither school has an elite MBA program.
M7 or bust isn't really a thing, tuck and Haas can equal M7 schools, and Darden is up there too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:47 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I think both are too expensive.

M7 or bust isn't really a thing, tuck and Haas can equal M7 schools, and Darden is up there too.
Kind of depends on what you want to do and what you want from your mba. Those are great business schools but they aren't designed to feed a nobody into the very top strategy consulting and investment banking shops the same way M7 are. I certainly don't think its "M7 or bust" universally, but my impression is that set of programs offer more to someone seeking to switch into an unrelated industry/service than others

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:11 pm

Assuming you're borrowing money for law school. If you go to UVA you're looking at payments of between 3 and 3.4k per month for 10 years. UVA has good employment placement. But not that good.

Hard to say about Vanderbilt. Not sure exactly what you're debt at graduation would be (which includes tuition increases, loan origination fees, and interest that accumulates while you're in school).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”