Negotiating scholarships between schools distant in rank

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
dopedoer
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Negotiating scholarships between schools distant in rank

Postby dopedoer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:08 pm

I applied to 15 schools, mostly in the end of January. Still waiting on 9 responses. Options so far are as follows, with scholarship totals over 3 years:

(#29) William and Mary - Waitlist

(#34) Boston College - $40k

(#74) Loyola LA - $100k

(#75) Cardozo - $105k

#s: 3.1 / 162

I'm beyond excited about BC. I think I'd love it there and hope to up the $$ to at least $75k.

Seat deposit is due by April 15, so I don't have too much time, but it doesn't exactly seem like I can do much in the way of negotiating until I've heard back from the other 9 (all of which are in the 20-40 range). Does it make sense to mention the Loyola and Cardozo scholarships to BC now or should I wait maybe another week and hope for more responses for a bigger picture of where I stand?

Also, will a school extend its seat deposit deadline on a case by case basis in light of the fact that an applicant is still waiting on responses? If so, which would be better, to call or to email?

User avatar
Sirius Blackstone
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships between schools distant in rank

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:13 pm

dopedoer wrote:I applied to 15 schools, mostly in the end of January. Still waiting on 9 responses. Options so far are as follows, with scholarship totals over 3 years:

(#29) William and Mary - Waitlist

(#34) Boston College - $40k

(#74) Loyola LA - $100k

(#75) Cardozo - $105k

#s: 3.1 / 162

I'm beyond excited about BC. I think I'd love it there and hope to up the $$ to at least $75k.

Seat deposit is due by April 15, so I don't have too much time, but it doesn't exactly seem like I can do much in the way of negotiating until I've heard back from the other 9 (all of which are in the 20-40 range). Does it make sense to mention the Loyola and Cardozo scholarships to BC now or should I wait maybe another week and hope for more responses for a bigger picture of where I stand?

Also, will a school extend its seat deposit deadline on a case by case basis in light of the fact that an applicant is still waiting on responses? If so, which would be better, to call or to email?


Yes, schools will extend deposit deadlines. Probably best to email so they have to respond in writing and you have a record of it. Then if it's getting close to the deadline and you haven't heard from them you can call. I would wait about a week to see if you get more offers if I were you.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138 and 5 guests